Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Skill point cap

disiplinmana
is there a limit to skill points we can earn or can i max out everything when i reach max level or if i cant max everything if i spend many points in crafting can i max out my main skill line?
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    the estimated number is the low 300s. The average player is supposed to get to 150. Hope that helps with your planning.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And just to add on to Hawke's answer: no, there is no "cap" on points. But there are a limited number currently available in the world. Even if you max it out, the developers have said that you would not be able to max out every skill line.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes, sorry. There is no cap as @nerevarine1138‌ says.

The developers did that on purpose.. there are like over 500 skills to take and only 300ish points to use (because that is all that is in the game for the perfectionist). It just is not possible.

Which is awesome!

But yes you can be a master crafter and have a buildout for PvP... you will just probably be very specialized for that one build though.. but you can craft anything.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    That and there will be added skills in the future for the new guilds you can join.
  • Phabiusbile
    Phabiusbile
    ✭✭
    somewhere around 300 skill points if you do everything...........EVERYTHING! all skyshards in all faction areas and all quests.

No you can not max out everything if this is the case..

CLASS
    20 points per class area 60 total

WEAPON
    20 points per weapon 120 total

ARMOR
    13 per armor type 36 total

WORLD
    10 Soul magic
    15 Werewolf
    16 Vampire

GUILD
    19 Mage
    19 Fighter
    10 Undaunted
    ?? Dark brotherhood
    ?? Thieves

Alliance War
    12 Assault
    12 Support
    05 Emporer

RACIAL
    09 may be more for other races not sure

CRAFTING
    24 Blacksmithing
    24 Woodworking
    24 Clothing
    24 Provisioning
    19 Alchemy
    22 Enchanting

That is 483 points to max out every aspect of the game currently
    with another 20 - 40 for the guilds not in game yet

So pick two weapons
    40 points
    1-2 armor types
    13-26 points
    a main Class area
    20-60 60 for all of it
    Racial
    Crafting to compliment your armor and weapon types
    72-137
    Guild persuade and intimidate
    2 minimum to help in questing
    Alliance pick an area

then put the rest where you want them
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like I said 500 skills to take :smile:

Keep in mind that you dont have to take a whole line of skills. You can pick and choose what you want. As you get the xp for that specific skill line.

You dont even need to train in your class skills either, just weapons. Or you dont have to do weapons, just class/guild/world skills. The world is your oyster and even if you dont like eating them, you can do whatever you want how you want.

I did a respec at 33 skill points (yes 3300 gold) and deinvested in skills such as spot for 3 crafting professions, hireling, etc. When I bought skills back, I skipped straight to Daedric Curse (sorcerer) and ignored my pets. For the Shield line, I just took Shield Bash (the closer), and may get one more skill in there, not sure yet.

And every class skill line has a passive that helps your character at no matter if you skip the skill line. Just look at the tool tips, check out the morphed abilities and do just a little planning, and you will have more skill points than you need.

Also, for my main character I have him invested in 4 crafting lines (Blacksmith, Woodworking, Clothier and Provisioning) and I have enough skill points for my racial passives (Imperial for the win!) and morphed a couple of active skills, and passives for my class.