Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How can there not be a 1-h weapon skill line??

nhisso
nhisso
✭✭✭✭
In the history of fantasy and also reality, 1-h weapon wielding warriors are very common and normal. Aragorn (sp?) and Mad Martigan say hello! ;) But seriously, please give us a 1-h weapon class. It's not fair that I lose a skill or 2 with the 1H+shield line if I choose not to use a shield, and you can't use the DW skill line at all without 2 weapons. Very odd. Who ever heard of a fantasy video game that didn't have a viable single handed weapon user option?
  • Tetujin
    Tetujin
    ✭✭✭
    What is your thinking exactly about how a 1-hand weapon line would work? Like the two-handed but faster and whatever, or something else that you would be able to do with a free hand?
  • Niminion
    Niminion
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I can think of in regards to real people using 1 sword would be something like a pirate or musketeer type? Though they often used daggers and pistols in their off-hand, even a buckler shield was still used still after gunpowder came into play. If someone was waving a free hand in the air with no weapon or shield it was usually not on purpose.

Can you not use all the 1h skills without a shield equipped? You can still block and bash without a shield.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping for a one-handed skill line as well. I prefer the look of a single blade/axe to dual-wielding and I don't really want to use a shield as the one-handed/shield line is heavily geared towards tanking.
    Can you not use all the 1h skills without a shield equipped? You can still block and bash without a shield.

No, the skills require you to have shield equipped.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • driosketch
      driosketch
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      nhisso wrote: »
      In the history of fantasy and also reality, 1-h weapon wielding warriors are very common and normal ... Mad Martigan say hello!
      Pretty sure Madmartigan was dual wielding at the climax of the movie when his true skill became apparent.
      Edited by driosketch on April 14, 2014 9:29PM
      Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
      ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
    • Stx
      Stx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      #1 Most games I have played do not support a single 1 handed weapon, I honestly cannot think of any.

#2 Aragorn used a 2 handed sword, get it straight.

I know where you are coming from, because I love playing the "swordsman" type characters, a duelist or a guy good at fencing, but it doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective, so I usually just use a dagger in the offhand, which works fine for me.
    • Kendaric
      Kendaric
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Stx wrote: »

Actually, Narsil/Anduril is not a twohanded sword in the books or the movies.
      In the movies it's a hand-and-half sword (commonly called bastardsword), in the books Tolkien never gets specific about the types of swords being used but as it's carried in a scabbard on Aragorn's belt you can safely assume that it's onehanded.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      • Tetujin
        Tetujin
        ✭✭✭
        I'm just wondering what would differentiate a one-handed sword use from two-handed, just your vision of it. Maybe like grappling-type abilities with the free hand or something. If not, wouldn't you just use it the same as you would a two-handed sword?
      • Laurai
        Laurai
        ✭✭
        I would actually wish for a 1h/ spell tree....
        giev pl0x
      • Vraok
        Vraok
        I was hoping for a 1handed skilltree aswell - but for the looks. If only 1 hand was used to wield the blade/axe/dagger then the other would be free to cast spells, therefore creating a spellblade - my favourite playstyle. Maybe also add a toggle that allows you to grab the sword/axe with 2 hands, so bastardswords could come into play.
        To sum it up: I'm hoping for a spellsword tree.
      • Relicz
        Relicz
        ✭✭
        Vraok wrote: »
        I was hoping for a 1handed skilltree aswell - but for the looks. If only 1 hand was used to wield the blade/axe/dagger then the other would be free to cast spells, therefore creating a spellblade - my favourite playstyle. Maybe also add a toggle that allows you to grab the sword/axe with 2 hands, so bastardswords could come into play.
        To sum it up: I'm hoping for a spellsword tree.

Not a bad idea. I special sword that can switch to two handed might be pretty awesome but idk if they would do that
      • RockmSockm
        Kendaric wrote: »
        Stx wrote: »

Actually, Narsil/Anduril is not a twohanded sword in the books or the movies.
        In the movies it's a hand-and-half sword (commonly called bastardsword), in the books Tolkien never gets specific about the types of swords being used but as it's carried in a scabbard on Aragorn's belt you can safely assume that it's onehanded.

Learn more about weapons, a hand and a half sword is called that for a reason.

I get your point. Dual wield as an offensive does not exist in real life, it never has. Every instance of it's use is with parrying daggers and swords in the off hand for defense.

The problem is this is an MMO and people love that crap. There will be no one handed. I am glad because the biggest problem with Skyrim was it was just far better.

• Erotes
        Erotes
        ✭✭✭
        Perhaps the one handed skill tree, if ever made, can have dodge passives and a skill or two where you use two hands with a one handed weapon increasing dmg and being quick considering it is a lighter weapon. I love the idea of this skill line.