Brackenleaf Voiceover

AlliN
AlliN
✭✭✭
Second zone, majestic Ent questgiver...

...and a voice of 18 years old teenager in a comic store. I was actualy thinking there's some other npc bugging out near me, but no, this was his voice.

Now, now, I know it's not a big issue, and there wre worse ones in history, but honestly, if there woudl be a contest in ->anticlimatic<- voiceover, that would be a smashing win.

Listen to him saying "oh-h o". I mean, come one.
Edited by AlliN on April 14, 2014 1:16AM
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they did it purposely, as just before the large tree person speaks there's that *clearing of throat" you expect it to be a deep booming voice... but instead its some weedy sounding guy from Norfolk with a slight lisp.
    I totally laughed when i heard it the first time.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
    Options
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was very disappointed. it sounds like a placeholder voice .. especially considering the text describes some deep booming sound. The Not Great Deku Tree needs a more imposing voice.
    Options
  • MangBloodrage
    MangBloodrage
    Soul Shriven
    Arato wrote: »
    I was very disappointed. it sounds like a placeholder voice .. especially considering the text describes some deep booming sound. The Not Great Deku Tree needs a more imposing voice.

That was basically my first impression as well. Seeing Brackenleaf, I expected a voice more of the likes of Treebeard from LotR, but instead I heard what I heard... and it left me a little baffled as to whether this was intentional or an oversight. I mean, at least they could have added some kind of filter to his voice, like an echo or something, if they were insistent on keeping the voice actor. Maybe I'm not too big on such jokes, but listening to Brackenleaf in his present incarnation makes me cringe every time :pensive:
    We do not hide in the shadows like the sneky Ash, or slave over a furnace all day like sweaty Iron. For we are the strongest and bravest of the three legions. Our home is the battlefield and our life is the fight. We alone know the stench of the dragon's breath. We alone have stared deep into the lifeless eyes of the Ascalonian ghosts. And we have done so with honour.
    Options
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    So.... you're tripping after eating a red frog and a tree is talking to you. I don't understand why a tree can't sound like a regular guy at that point. Also it's only one quest line, I see no reason he has to sound like an old man who smokes 2 packs a day.
    Options
  • bluesodafizz
    bluesodafizz
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I hated that voice over. It didn't fit the character at all.
    Options
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the voice acting has to be developers kids. I hear the same people doing many different characters also. Certain people should just not be voice actors, it's like nails on a chalkboard.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
    Options
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NiRN wrote: »
    Certain people should just not be voice actors, it's like nails on a chalkboard.

The Treebeard voice is definitely one of those. I can swear I've heard it in several places now, and every time it makes me want to punch the NPC.
    Options
  • LionCross
    LionCross
    hey sorry i tottaly missed this post, when i started my own thread... i'll repost here :p

Ok i get it, if they wanted to have abit of a joke about the voice of the tree not beeing the whole boom tree beard Cliché. but the voice actoris so bad it just sounds like someone canceled on the day so they got "terry from the office" to step in last minute! Now the over all voice acting is ace... I LOVE Raz-undar (or however you spell it...) but the lack of quality here just brakes all immersion.

Even if it turned out to be some cheeky sprit that got stuck in the tree so the voice is not what you'd normally exspect... fine, stick that in the dialoge but have a voice fitting of that character. As it stands it just looks like somone at the quality controle department didn't do their job.

come on bethesda your better than this... there are fan mods on oblivion and skyrim better voice acted!
    Options
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    Options
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    Pyatra wrote: »

Your link points to this thread. Drugs are bad, m'kay? ;)

Options
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pyatra wrote: »
    So.... you're tripping after eating a red frog and a tree is talking to you. I don't understand why a tree can't sound like a regular guy at that point. Also it's only one quest line, I see no reason he has to sound like an old man who smokes 2 packs a day.

Because the TEXT before the sound starts talks about a deep booming sound... then you get an "ohho" that could have been taken out of this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccVTCGpBcdU
    Edited by Arato on April 16, 2014 3:04PM
    Options
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    I've just heard voiceover of "Possesed Soldier" Elite in the Unqied Dead quest - this is either a bad joke or I have no idea what they are doing. Person voicing it is no more than 14 years old, and not in the girly voice style. It's just a kid.

Voicing a vengeful spirit...

later on voiced Pale Sentinel...

"Hooray!" says the ghost, with a kid voice, that seems he's getting his first bike.

(In all fairnes, emotinally, he does better job than some other adult actors - problem is, he's still before his voice mutation)

*Later reminescence - Is it the guy who voiced the "Citadel Spirit" in Mass Effect 3? Seems the same.
    Edited by AlliN on April 16, 2014 9:38PM
    Options
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Pale Sentinel is supposed to be a kid, so it makes sense there. I think Brackenleaf is meant to be a joke.
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
    Options
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, at the end of the quest it became more reasonable - but then, why not use a wisp of some sort, or change it voice as the story develops - becasue first experience is a dread reaper with the shattered bone face speaking like a boy.
    Weird design, then, at best.

Options
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meanwhile ... that talking skeleton in the quest in the Bone Orchard.. that was brilliantly funny, what was is name Dirngoth or something like that? That was good.
    Options
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile ... that talking skeleton in the quest in the Bone Orchard.. that was brilliantly funny, what was is name Dirngoth or something like that? That was good.

This quest is pure gold, I actualy laughed out loud, first time in a looong time of my mmo history. When he said that: "Oh, it's not my femur, mine bends to the left" I was giggling and almost crying from laugh. "My pelvis is dirty" was also the reason of it. The "scene", that insane vegetarian wood elf created for her minstrel lover was worth a laugh too.

Yeah, storytelling execution is very uneven, there is brilliant material, and there is some that seems left unpolished.
    Edited by AlliN on April 17, 2014 9:12AM
    Options
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    AlliN wrote: »
    I've just heard voiceover of "Possesed Soldier" Elite in the Unqied Dead quest - this is either a bad joke or I have no idea what they are doing. Person voicing it is no more than 14 years old, and not in the girly voice style. It's just a kid.

Voicing a vengeful spirit...

later on voiced Pale Sentinel...

"Hooray!" says the ghost, with a kid voice, that seems he's getting his first bike.

(In all fairnes, emotinally, he does better job than some other adult actors - problem is, he's still before his voice mutation)

*Later reminescence - Is it the guy who voiced the "Citadel Spirit" in Mass Effect 3? Seems the same.

Um... The Pale Sentinel IS a young boy. Doing the whole quest will make everything more clear... also he's not a vengeful spirit.... no venge'ing happening here buddy.

Edit: It's also a quest with a decent plot line and another non-quest/other quest tie in. Also Gepetto in the vid that was linked was at least pretty good.
    Edited by Pyatra on April 17, 2014 5:50PM
    Options
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the pale sentinel is fine, it all ties up with other quests in the area, you really need to read the books and pay attention to dialogue and it should all make sense. There are actually LOREBOOKS in the zone that talk about particular characters in those questlines. It's pretty neat.
    Options
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    Um... The Pale Sentinel IS a young boy.
    Indeed, I said it got clear later on - and I made by post before finishing the quest, so my bad on that - but then, the model used to present this boy spirit is far from being adequate. I see a death incarnate, that speaks with prepubescent voice, that's all ;)
    also he's not a vengeful spirit
    That's how he's called in the previous step, when he takes control over dead soldiers on the gorund. Later on the name changes to Pale Sentinel - so yeah, he's vengeful all'right ;)
    Options
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I laughed out loud when Brackenleaf spoke in that voice. It was totally not what was expected. And, yeah... I'm traipsing through the forest, tripping balls on Red Frog and seeing ghosts... A talking tree that sounds like a teenager makes a much sense as anything else in that scenario.
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
    Options
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny for the wrong reasons though.. it's funny because it's poor voice acting.
    Options
  • EzikielStorm
    EzikielStorm
    ✭✭✭
    This was quite honestly the wierdest choice of voice actor Vs subject i could ever imagine... I literally said WTF!!! at my screen, im not generally bothered about "immersion" but this actually did totally break my immersion.
    Options
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlliN wrote: »

This quest is pure gold, I actualy laughed out loud, first time in a looong time of my mmo history. When he said that: "Oh, it's not my femur, mine bends to the left" I was giggling and almost crying from laugh. "My pelvis is dirty" was also the reason of it. The "scene", that insane vegetarian wood elf created for her minstrel lover was worth a laugh too.

The background on my phone now.
    Options
  • Elunarie
    Elunarie
    Yes, this voiceover.. just like Uru in Chaos Wars. *cringe*
    Options
  • Skeletun
    Skeletun
    ✭✭
    I agree it is not the voice most (if not all) of us expected; but it's a talking tree. I mean who said a talking tree has to have a deep impressive voice anyways? Besides, like someone pointed out earlier..Our characters are tripping on red tree frogs.
    Honestly I was as surprised as the next person by this choice in voice acting. I have to admit that I like it. It is actually funny and creative.
    So while it might not agree with our idea with what a talking tree should sound like. I think it works and fits into the world the created. Also it tells a player early on that everything may not be what you expect.
    Options
  • Jadakin
    Jadakin
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Of course Angry Joe used that as the example for how bad the ESO voice overs were. Which is funny because that was the only one I've run into so far that stood out as bad to me.
    Options
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    Which is funny because that was the only one I've run into so far that stood out as bad to me.

Bad, yes, there are only few bad ones. Problem is, most of them is repetitive, done by the same guy, sound forced or artificial. Instead of 2-3 big names, it would be better to get 10 avarage but commited ones, same price, better effect.

So, in comparsion to SWToR for example, where actors were just random people it falls short.
    Edited by AlliN on April 30, 2014 7:16PM
    Options
  • ljb2k5_ESO
    ljb2k5_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This, please re-record Brackenleaf at LEAST. I mean the re-use of so much of the talent, especially Adam Blum is bad enough, but this is rank amateurish. If it is intended as a joke, if fails because it just succeeds in making ZOS look bad. This isn't funny, it literally makes the game worse. It is my hope that this was a placeholder voice that never got re-recorded properly.
    Edited by ljb2k5_ESO on May 18, 2014 10:00PM
    Options