The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Players repairing Armor yes / no skills and traits should matter.

archer0069
should we be able to repair armor for people if we have the traits to build the armor
Edited by archer0069 on April 13, 2014 9:40PM

Players repairing Armor yes / no skills and traits should matter. 64 votes

yes we should
65% 42 votes
no that is not a worth while feature
21% 14 votes
anything to start a player based economy
12% 8 votes
  • Hakoke
    Hakoke
    ✭✭
    I voted yes on this. While I do understand that the repair costs are a gold sink, this would be a good feature.

I would like to add that maybe as a way to balance it against the gold sink would be that if a player repairs your armor it would lower the total avalible durability.

Just my thought on the issue.
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wanted to vote yes, but really, anything to start a true economy would be nice, so that's what ended up getting my vote.
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
  • LastLaugh
    LastLaugh
    ✭✭
    Interesting idea. Yes, logically I think we should. Given the astronomical cost of repair bills this would likely become a service players would advertise/seek in the trade channels.

There should be a level limit - someone who has just started blacksmithing shouldn't be able to repair legendary level 50 armor. An interesting twist on this might be to create some chance of wrecking the gear permanently if the crafter's skill level is too low. For the same reason you wouldn't let your teenage niece who's just received a sewing machine repair your designer outfit, there should be consequences to the equivalent in-game.

If doing repairs leveled skills even slightly, there would be a lot of people wanting to provide this service. That would likely result in repairs being free though, so the developers may not want to go down that road.
  • icengr_ESO
    icengr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    LastLaugh wrote: »
    ...would advertise/seek in the trade channels

ah...we don't have trade channels.
  • Alephen
    Alephen
    ✭✭✭
    i am assuming this means other players, as you can repair your own armor, which i do think is important for an elder scrolls game.

the reason i voted no is primarily because this would be a rather bulky implementation - quite alot of work. i do not think the slight benefit would warrant the amount of work.

had they a system like EQ2 where you open a window to allow other crafters to craft with mats in your inventory already in place, which i love, i would vote differently.
  • ironvosneb18_ESO
    I would like an option for players to repair their own armor, but by using resources.
    Then people have some choices.
    You can go to an npc and repair for gold.
    You can repair yourself using resources.
    Or if you lack the relevant skills you can let another player repair, who sets his own price.

This makes sure that there is both a goldsink, and also a sustained demand for resources even at end game. And improves player economy and player interaction.
  • WhiteQueen
    WhiteQueen
    ✭✭✭
    I've always found it weird that you could make stuff but couldn't repair it. Or at least make repair kits yourself. Seems counter-intuitive.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Until you can come up with a replacement gold sink...I vote no.
  • mattriddle
    it'd be useful in dungeons, i guess. maybe allow players to repair for less, too. then again, if players could do it for free, it'd completely eliminate a gold sink, which isn't good.
    Streaming ESO twitch.tv/matzimazing M-F Noon-4PM EST
  • ErilAq
    ErilAq
    ✭✭✭
    Eliminating the gold sink would be bad. while it may seem nice at first, inflation would skyrocket and the economy as a whole would be completely screwed until a new "sink" was in place. I do think that being able to create the repair kits and have players sell them for use in dungeons would be a nice addition however. (have the repair kits be only usable in dungeons)
    Internet armchair warriors attack! Yayayayayayaaaaaah!!!!
  • AbraCadabra
    AbraCadabra
    ✭✭✭
    I like being a skill clothier and not having the skills to repair my own armor. It's really cool that the local Chef NPC has the skills to repair my armor, or the wandering merchant can do it. /end sarcasm.
  • LastLaugh
    LastLaugh
    ✭✭
    icengr_ESO wrote: »
    LastLaugh wrote: »
    ...would advertise/seek in the trade channels

ah...we don't have trade channels.

Zone chat effectively functions as one, irrespective of its official name. If players were able to repair items I would bet my next paycheck that this would be the main way to advertise this service.
  • LastLaugh
    LastLaugh
    ✭✭
    mattriddle wrote: »
    it'd be useful in dungeons, i guess. maybe allow players to repair for less, too. then again, if players could do it for free, it'd completely eliminate a gold sink, which isn't good.

There could be a price in gold for the materials needed to repair. As is generally the case in real life, you could save some money with a bit of DIY even after paying for the materials.
  • UnknownXV
    UnknownXV
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I was very disappointed to learn you can repair gear at vendors.
  • drachir11.rbb16_ESO
    I Feel Repair should be only possible at an apropriate station for the Gear and You need to be able to build that gear (Maybe with a repair cap on different styles like 90% on an unknown style) and Maybe even a new skill line at a given level same as craft level
  • derpmonster
    derpmonster
    ✭✭
    All I know is that having my armor break after 15-20 minutes of fighting is getting kind of tedious.

Armor repairs as a gold sink is terrible. I'm sure they can come up with something a little more inventive that doesn't actively hamper game play.

I'm actually not looking forward to repair costs of veteran armor and it's one of the reasons why I haven't rushed to 50.
    Edited by derpmonster on April 14, 2014 8:51PM
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    repair with soulgems morph ftw
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • RylukShouja
    RylukShouja
    ✭✭✭
    The answer is right here in the elder scrolls series...let's look back to Oblivion or Morrowind. You bought repair hammers for gold, and they had x amount of uses (or an x% of breaking) and repaired x% of your gear per hit, according to your armourer skill.

Why not put in "repair hammers" for each skill line? They would effectively function the same as repair kits except they would have multiple uses, each would be particular to one skill line, and their effectiveness would scale with your rank in that skill. That way it makes it a little cheaper for non crafters who are willing to take the time to buy and use "hammers," and a nice side bonus for dedicated crafters.

You could even tie in a small bonus to amount repaired when repairing at a workbench if these "hammers" can be used in the field, for immersion. You'll do a better job hammering out dings in your breastplate at an anvil that on an oblong and somewhat lumpy rock.

EDIT: I also like the idea of only being able to repair researched traits. So anyone can repair basic armour, but only a master blacksmith can work on your super epic legendary quality enchanted max level breastplate . Cause we both know you'd just break it.
    Edited by RylukShouja on April 14, 2014 9:17PM