Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nightblade With Dual Wield + Bow?

Vanchatron
Vanchatron
✭✭
I’m playing as a Nightguard, and I’m level 16 at the moment. I have just unlocked weapon swapping. I currently play dual wield with two daggers and was wondering if the bow is worth using as a secondary weapon, or whether it would be better for me to just stick with the daggers and perhaps have a secondary hotbar with different skills?

I started off with the bow, although I’ve rarely even used it since I equipped it as I don’t see any real need to. Perhaps in dungeons it will come in useful, I don’t know.

What do you guys suggest? Stick it out with the bow and see if it comes in handy or use the second hotbar for a whole new set of abilities with dual wield?

The only problem with the second option is, I wouldn’t know what to dedicate that hotbar to. My dual wield hotbar so far just consists of DPS abilities.

Thanks!
Edited by Vanchatron on April 13, 2014 8:17AM
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    Do what i did with my DW Nightblade build, equip a destro staff. Its so fun and really feels good.
  • Jambo
    Jambo
    I am a nightblade archer 2handed
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    Bow is an excellent secondary weapon. I play a Templar with bow/2 daggers. You get to open from a distance, often drop one mob before the others even have a chance to close to melee, and dual wield is just fun.

The big advantage the bow has over melee is kiting harder mobs, by that I mean soloing elite stuff (which are not immune to CC obviously). Combined with hard and soft CC you can kite most of them pretty much forever. You'd get squashed in melee trying to solo them.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agreed Bow helps a lot.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the bow for switching. There are plenty of times where melee is going to be problematic, so the ability to switch to ranged is extremely important.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    My nightblade will start out dual wield daggers and then convert to bow. Wish there was crossbow, but there you have it.

Im mainly assassin tree with some shadow & healing.
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • crowfl56
    crowfl56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVP people use the dual wield daggers out of shadow for first couple of attacks, then switch to bow to kite you. This build is quite deadly.
  • disexistencenub19_ESO
    Depends on what you are doing. There are several ways I would go on weapon swap.

Single Target / AoE
    Melee / Range
    Offensive / Defensive
    Soloing / Grouping
    PVE / PVP
  • Amiya
    Amiya
    I use my second nightblade's hotbar and weapon slots for bow and pvp skillset.
  • Kylwils
    Kylwils
    I too prefer the bow as secondary weapon, If you spend points on abilities in bow proficiency you can knock back the eenemy and your self so they cant touch you, also equip the poison shot. and great crowd conntrol with volley. I use dual wield and bow. find it to be great combination. VR7 Nightblade
  • Asharin
    Asharin
    ✭✭
    I'm DW/Resto Staff Majika NB. Used to be DW/Bow Stamina, but found after level 50 I was a bit too squishy for a lot of stuff, so switched, so far enjoying it..survivability is much better. Do miss the bow though, it's great fun, and great for levelling and I hear it's good in PVP but I haven't even been to cyrodill yet lol
  • maciopa
    maciopa
    ✭✭✭
    Hey gals and guys, I would like to attach my question to the topic ans ask you about ... magicka NB.
    I plan to create one. Thinking about Breton as a race, but dunno if I should go for it or maybe pick Imperial in that stead? Any other suggestions? As I understand from different posts - the Magicka NB will use a destro staff (bit weird for a nightBLADE, don't you think?) but as a pretty fresh player - will I be able to level her up as one? or people switch to magicka after they reach certain threshold via stamina build?
    I am, as always, open for your suggestions.
  • Gulkrim-mur
    Gulkrim-mur
    ✭✭✭
    Vanchatron wrote: »
    I’m playing as a Nightguard, and I’m level 16 at the moment. I have just unlocked weapon swapping. I currently play dual wield with two daggers and was wondering if the bow is worth using as a secondary weapon, or whether it would be better for me to just stick with the daggers and perhaps have a secondary hotbar with different skills?

I started off with the bow, although I’ve rarely even used it since I equipped it as I don’t see any real need to. Perhaps in dungeons it will come in useful, I don’t know.

What do you guys suggest? Stick it out with the bow and see if it comes in handy or use the second hotbar for a whole new set of abilities with dual wield?

The only problem with the second option is, I wouldn’t know what to dedicate that hotbar to. My dual wield hotbar so far just consists of DPS abilities.

Thanks!

Im playing dual wield nb too i went bow swap and its saved me already more then once.

I aswell use dps skills for my daggers but occasionally on being outnumbered or some big baddies and small bosses\quest bosses i posion arrow and charge hit. I also use volley and make them fight me in the cirlce while dps moves on dagger.
    It can make all the difference in that guy who is just that little to strong for you or the sheer number force.

Other then that i just hit level 19 and like the bow fairly well, id luke to unlock mark of death for its skill bar seems interestingly powerful, i already have been dropping groups of mobs just using the bow too.

I believe itll make a good pvp aspect too starting off the posion arrow and a charged hit while distances close in to swap dagger and cloak.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely like having a ranged weapon alongside dual wield. DW is a lot of fun, but sometimes it’s less practical. I find it’s especially useful to be able to do ranged attacks when you’re up against other archers or mages who just keep backing up if you get close… and back up into other groups of enemies, whereas if you keep your distance you can avoid that issue.

I agree with Asharin that restoration staff is also a useful option for a second weapon, especially if you play solo a lot or like to head into zones above your level. There are times when it’s really nice to be able to heal yourself quick and then switch back.