The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Magelight and Stealth

DYSEQTA
DYSEQTA
✭✭✭
Just been reading through a discussion on Tamriel Foundry about Magelight and stealth. This has raised a problem in my mind.

First let me say that I play a Sorcerer and have Magelight slotted on both my weapon sets.

However, with that said, I want to suggest that Magelight be altered with regard to stealth. You should not be able to enter stealth with Magelight active,or entering stealth should automatically end Magelight, one or the other.

Why? Because it makes no sense when considering the current way it is portrayed, as a ball of visible spectrum light.

How exactly does one "stealth" a ball of light? There is only one way. You stop emitting the light...

I would have thought it fairly obvious from a design perspective that a spell that casts light was never and should never have been intended for use in a stealth based build.
For the King!
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gameplay > Realism. I don't think bending your knees on an open field making you invisible to passerbys as though they have severe myopia and tunnel vision is particularly realistic either.
    Options
  • Khastle
    Khastle
    ✭✭
    As a sorcerer that also uses magelight, I believe the ball of light is only visible to you.. to everyone else you have glowing hands and eyes. At least that is what I have been told by others.
    Options
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khastle wrote: »
    As a sorcerer that also uses magelight, I believe the ball of light is only visible to you.. to everyone else you have glowing hands and eyes. At least that is what I have been told by others.

The ball of light is visible to everyone.
    Options
  • neiljwd
    neiljwd
    ✭✭✭
    Think of it as a blinding and slightly distracting light.
    Some annoying friend ever shone a torch repeatedly in your face? Difficult to see in it?
    That's ya extra stealth.
    Options
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never touched PVP.

But i can fully understand this, but how is this fair when your character can be hidden with a ball of light spining around you and exposing stealthed enemies?

Makes no sense to me.

PVE it does not matter really, i guess it should, technically but then everyone in PVP should run magelight.
    mDKs still need a lot of love!
    Options
  • TheMazrem
    TheMazrem
    Bright light can actually be used as a form of stealth in real life. Seriously.

Get a bright enough light, shine it in someone's eyes, and you can completely obscure their vision and make them blind to your own movements. Do they know you're there? Of course they do. Do they know exactly where you are? Not by relying on their eyesight.

And as for its uses in pvp, I'd like to point out that its available to everyone, not just one class.
    Options
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the problem - if you stealth with magelight active, you haven't stealthed at all. People can see your magelight, they know exactly where you are and a single ranged AoE will knock you out of stealth.

In PvE, what does it matter. NPCs are brain dead anyway.
    Options
  • Spriggen
    Spriggen
    ✭✭✭
    I used mage light in PvP and I stealth. I've let an entire zerg force go right past me and no one notices my mage light so it stays stealth with you.
    Edited by Spriggen on April 20, 2014 7:21AM
    Options
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    Spriggen wrote: »
    I used mage light in PvP and I stealth. I've let an entire zerg force go right past me and no one notices my mage light so it stays stealth with you.

Ah then it's obviously unbalanced. Must be a bug, can't believe they'd greenlight something like this - it practically makes magelight a mandatory slot skill, which is bad.
    Options
  • stylernaku
    stylernaku
    ✭✭✭
    At first Mage light is visible, if you morph it to inner light (glowing eyes and hands) the floating light is visible only to the player.
    Options
  • jodyren
    jodyren
    Soul Shriven
    If you want mage light to be visible when hidden, then you have to have everything else that produces effects do the same. No one could stealth and use abilities or special weapons then.

I think stealthers are a little biased because they don't like anything they can work against them. Of course I'm biased because I stealth around and jump other stealthers. The 20% crit works great for that.

On a side note, both mage light and radiant light are visible to others. didn't know what inner light looked like til this thread, but I have seen the others on other players.
    Options
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why bother? I can drink a level 3 potion and see everything stealthed in 20m.

Corn Flower + Wormwood > Mage Light

What really bakes my noodle is do the radii stack?
    Options
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we can all agree that Magelight and it's morphs should have:
    - glowing eyes (instead of whole face)
    - stick that damned lightbulb in your arse goddamnit, it just blocks my screen since I don't play zoomed out to maximum
    - also would be nice if the glow effect had different colors per class - sorc=blue, NB=dark red, DK=fiery red, templar=yellow. Having arms glow blue as pyromancer makes my fashion sense tingle..
    Options