Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Leveling skills

Pelerin2014
Pelerin2014
✭✭✭
How does experience gain for skills work?

I've noticed you need to use the skill during a fight for it to gain Exp, does it make a difference how many times you use it during a fight?

You know what, I actually find the entire leveling/experience/skill system in this game really confusing - if anyone would care to share some info that would be awesome.

Thanks.
Pelarius, Imperial Dragonknight of the Aldmeri Dominion.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Using them can help some I think, but simply having an ability for the skill on your bar (even if it's linked to a weapon you don't have equipped) will get you skill gains as you level.
  • Pelerin2014
    Pelerin2014
    ✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    Using them can help some I think, but simply having an ability for the skill on your bar (even if it's linked to a weapon you don't have equipped) will get you skill gains as you level.

Oh, yea I'm pretty sure Exp for the overall skill-tree is helped by purely having them slotted - maybe I worded it badly - I'm talking about the skills/abilities themselves, or is that what you mean.

The reason I ask is 'cos I'm trying to get some skills to rank IV before I swap them out for other skills and I'm wondering if I need to actually use them in battle for them to gain Exp.

Hope I'm making sense, thanks.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pelerin2014‌
    Skills gain more exp the more you use them.
    Skill trees gain more exp the more skills from that tree you have on the ability bar.

Yeah you need to use the skills in battle.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, yea I'm pretty sure Exp for the overall skill-tree is helped by purely having them slotted - maybe I worded it badly - I'm talking about the skills/abilities themselves, or is that what you mean.

The reason I ask is 'cos I'm trying to get some skills to rank IV before I swap them out for other skills and I'm wondering if I need to actually use them in battle for them to gain Exp.

No you do not need to use the abilities to level them to IV. I did this today with puncture (first sword/shield ability). Never used it (just had it on my bar), and was using an inferno staff and got it to rank IV and able to be morphed anyway.
  • Pelerin2014
    Pelerin2014
    ✭✭✭
    Yakidafi wrote: »
    @Pelerin2014‌
    Skills gain more exp the more you use them.
    Skill trees gain more exp the more skills from that tree you have on the ability bar.

Yeah you need to use the skills in battle.

Are you sure?
    Shimond wrote: »

No you do not need to use the abilities to level them to IV. I did this today with puncture (first sword/shield ability). Never used it (just had it on my bar), and was using an inferno staff and got it to rank IV and able to be morphed anyway.

Alright, thanks.