Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

My First Anchor - Help!! (Updated)

MaxBat
MaxBat
✭✭✭
So last night, I participated in my first anchor - the one outside Auridon. (I know it's supposed to be the easiest). It was a lot of fun, playing with others, etc. Two things happened though that I didn't understand:

1. At one point, I couldn't use any of the skills on my menu bar. They were all grayed out. It was for a long time - as long as a minute - and since I couldn't use them, I was defeated. Is some kind of special attack by the daedra (e.g. paralysis is TES games) or just some bizarre form of latency. The daedra that were out were spiders, scamps, clanfears and zombies.

2. Is there a better way to implement the dodge function. Dodging is accomplished by quickly double tapping the A or D keys. About half the time it doesn't work for me. What my character does is take a half step in that direction and stops, which means - since I'm trying to dodge something - they hit hard. Is there a way to remap them to a specific key, like the roll dodge key?

Thanks for any help. MB

Edited by MaxBat on April 12, 2014 9:24PM
"Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen that a couple of times. sometimes it is because you are stunned and unable to attack but you can still move. Sometimes it seems to be just there and rarely its a bug that seems to kick in once in a blue moon for me. :persevere:
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about the greyed out abilities, I've never seen that happen.

However, with dodging, have you tried changing the double click speed in settings? I did that and it was a big help.
    Also, this might seem like a dumb question, but are you sure you have enough stamina when you try to roll? It takes quite a bit.
    Edited by Melian on April 12, 2014 5:37PM
  • awkwarrd
    awkwarrd
    ✭✭✭
    2 things can happen.

A caster can put a little yellow bubble on you, stops you doing anything
    A caster can put down a rather large big transparent dome, you can't cast while inside it.

Other than that i have no idea
  • Evekial
    Evekial
    ✭✭
    With the dodging I have changed the keybind on mine, so now I just press v to dodge with direction i'm moving in. Find it helps a lot.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for the help. That was very helpful.
    Evekial wrote: »
    With the dodging I have changed the keybind on mine, so now I just press v to dodge with direction i'm moving in. Find it helps a lot.

Wow, I didn't even see that. That make it so much easier to dodge! Thanks for that.

• MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Updated - April 12 - Still happening ...

Okay, I don't think weapon thing is an enemy spell. I tried two more anchors today. I'm going to try to describe what's happening:

The anchor starts and a bunch of players run in and start attacking. As soon as I cross onto the "anchor" (the area delineated by the daedric markings on the ground), my entire skill bar grays out and my hits don't connect to anything. It will ficker off and on throughout the fight but most of the time it's off and I'm basically doing nothing at all. If it's a spell, it doesn't seem to be affecting other players, who can still kill daedra using swords and magic.

At most, I'm getting three or four hits a fight. But I'm dying, either. Is it latency?

This is actually pretty game-breaking for me. I've been able to accept some of the minor shortcomings of TESO to date, but this means I can't even play the game. :(
    Edited by MaxBat on April 12, 2014 9:26PM

• Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    1. I sometimes get a situation where none of my abilities do anything. I press the key, and the button is depressed on my hotbar, but the ability doesn't fire. I had it today and was quickly able to do a /reloadui to fix it and get back in the game before I died and was able to deal with it. In those cases though, the hotbar isn't greyed out, it just doesn't do anything.

2. For dodging, you can alter the sensitivity to suit yourself.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I should have been clear. I got dodging down now. Dodging is fixed, thanks to the previous suggestions.

The game breaking element is a completely grayed out skills bar and weapon strikes that are not connecting.
    Edited by MaxBat on April 12, 2014 9:31PM

• poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be crazy. You will not get a lit up bar unless you have a target. In a frantic parties like these it's hard to get a beast in your sights and after the strong players get there the beasts last very little time.

Before many people get there you can use fairly normal tactics but after it's crowded it's nuts. I try to target on a new spawn with an instant weapon. The old one are gone so fast with an experienced crew in play.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    It can be crazy. You will not get a lit up bar unless you have a target. In a frantic parties like these it's hard to get a beast in your sights and after the strong players get there the beasts last very little time.

Before many people get there you can use fairly normal tactics but after it's crowded it's nuts. I try to target on a new spawn with an instant weapon. The old one are gone so fast with an experienced crew in play.

Okay, this makes sense. But more than one person can target a mob, right? I couldn't seem to target the ones that that still had life ... I'll got test this again.

Thanks for the information.