Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Cursors and Turning

Skirataado
Having just started playing ESO, I am finding two things awkward and wonder if anyone else is having a similar experience.

First, there is no "Cursor". In the current interface, there is no way to mouse over in-game objects (like NPCs or items) or parts of the GUI (like spells or buffs) to quickly access information about those items, the way many other games do with tooltips. You are also not able to select a target the way you can in many other MMOs. This make me feel disconnected by limiting the amount of information and interactivity available.

Second, there is no "Turn" in ESO, only strafe. I am accustomed to being able to move through an MMO world almost exclusively with WASD keys.

The combination of these two ESO aspects makes it difficult for me to enjoy the game, because it feels like I am constantly fighting the interface, rather than the MOBs. My primary other MMO is WoW, as I am sure is the case with many of you, so it may be possible that I am viewing ESO through a WoW tainted lense, but I feel ESO could make a more intuitive way of interacting with the environment. Does anyone else have feelings regarding these two aspects of ESO?
  • awkwarrd
    awkwarrd
    ✭✭✭
    WASD keys are normally always strafe, unless korean MMO.

You can press period or "fullstop" to get your mouse cursor at anytime you want to do exactly what you said you can't.

• Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    With regards clicking items in game, this is a particular feature of ESO and is quite deliberate. Like Marmite, you will either love it or hate it. Me? I got used to it.

With regards keyboard turning, it's always bad. I very much applaud the designers for not even giving you the choice. Turning with your mouse is far quicker and essential for the quick reactions needed to deal with tricky situations (especially avoidance) in both pve and pvp.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skirataado wrote: »
    First, there is no "Cursor". In the current interface, there is no way to mouse over in-game objects (like NPCs or items) or parts of the GUI (like spells or buffs) to quickly access information about those items, the way many other games do with tooltips. You are also not able to select a target the way you can in many other MMOs. This make me feel disconnected by limiting the amount of information and interactivity available.

There is a reticule in the center of your screen. As you look around, this can be placed over things in the world and, if it is significant, the game will tell you about it. This also sets your target.

You can press "." (period) to go into cursor mode. You can inspect GUI elements, but will need to get out of this mode to interact with the world.

There is no WoW-like cursor that is active for both the world and the GUI at the same time.
    Skirataado wrote: »
    Second, there is no "Turn" in ESO, only strafe. I am accustomed to being able to move through an MMO world almost exclusively with WASD keys.

Yeah, this is true. Even when you look around, your character can remain fixed and not turn.

These are things that just require adjustment. ESO is not WoW, and as a likely-to-be-former WoW player, I do find it hard to go back and forth.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus