Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Difficulty slider?

• OutcastVP
    OutcastVP
    ✭✭✭
    Thete wrote: »

When you're having an argument with the whole world, it may just be that the whole world knows something you don't.

Yes that is the reason why the majority of the world is religious.

(I guess I have to point out that was irony)
    Edited by OutcastVP on April 12, 2014 8:55PM
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OutcastVP wrote: »

It is no different to balance compared to now where there being level 1 characters and level 25 characters fighting the same monsters as it is now. Or if you are 4 level 5 friends who are playing together and fighting a monster.

I am a level 10 character now playing in the level 5 area. So by your logic other people who are playing by my side are getting experience for my "legwork" in the same way when I run around killing enemies with one blow that take them 5 blows. It is the same thing. That is actually worse then the reverse, there would be less instances of powerful player coming in and "stealing" your kills. And you would not get kills easier just because there are some low level player fighting the same monster as you. Remember that with the scaling you are both dealing aprox the same amount of damage.

Some flawed logic here...

1) High level players that play by your side do not get experience for your legwork. If a mob, any mob, is 6 levels or more below your character level, you get no xp and no loot. Does not matter how spectacular your kill is, you get nothing. Only exception is Medium Armor raw materials which drop from wolves and other beasts regardless of your lvl.

2) There is no kill-stealing in this game. Loot is instanced. XP and loot are both gained from simply attacking a given mob once and/or being grouped with whoever attacked it.

3) It is vastly different to how lvl 1 and lvl 25 players fight the same characters now. The difference being everyone is fighting the same lvl'd monster. Trying to upscale and downscale has all sorts of balancing issues of its own, many of which would not please most posters. Even the 'upscaling' in Cyrodiil is not so balanced as you might want to believe. Rather every single person that is under lvl 50 has their stats conformed to a global template, a template which spreads stat points evenly. So whether your character is lvl 10 or lvl 49, you have the same MP, HP, and Stam regardless of where you put your points and enchants. Lvl 50+ have the advantage of actually being able to use their builds in Cyrodiil. You may say this doesn't matter b/c it just affects how many hits you take, how many swings/ spells you cast. This is not true. Your character sheet stats change the effectiveness of your spells and feats. You want everyone to face on-lvl baddies all the time. I want to be able to actually have my build mean something, rather than play with whatever template the game spits out for my lvl adjusted to the zone.
    Edited by nudel on April 12, 2014 9:17PM
  • Dalok
    Dalok
    Why don't you just play the game the way it's supposed to be played? I don't really understand the issue here.

It would be very possible to work in a system like this, but the real question is why?

So you can comeback to the quests you didn't do and get more experience for them? The game takes you on an adventure through zones, you can do the quests in these zones practically in any order you want finish the zone and then move on, that's hardly linear.

Seems like a waste of time for the Development Team honestly.
  • Willow
    Willow
    ✭✭✭
    STO had a difficulty slider. You had instanced quests and you could choose normal ,hard etc.

It worked pretty well but the quests were instanced. You could even use a group finder that would pair you up with people that had the same difficulty setting.
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willow wrote: »
    STO had a difficulty slider. You had instanced quests and you could choose normal ,hard etc.

It worked pretty well but the quests were instanced. You could even use a group finder that would pair you up with people that had the same difficulty setting.

Yeah that's the other solution. Instance everything. Not an optimal solution since the 'multiplayer' part of the game is what drew some people here.
  • OutcastVP
    OutcastVP
    ✭✭✭
    nudel: No flawed logic at all. And you would not have to use the diff mod if you don't want to. It is only for players who would want that. Whit "stealing kills" I meant when you are fighting a monster that is hard for you and someone else that is much higer level just comes in and finish it off in one blow. I did not mean he was stealing your xp or loot. But that problem with high level characters just whopping the floor with everything would also be solved if some of them are playing on a higher diff mod. It would be more balanced for both low and high level characters in the same zone.

Dalok: The whole point of Elder Scrolls since the first game 20 years ago have been "play the game as you want". I guess that is out the window when you want to please the casual Wow crowd. I want to be able to feel the freedom of doing what I want, especially in an Mmo! As I said I went north from Dagerfall when I started the game, wanting to have a big challange. But then when I return to do earlier quest they are completely "broken" because the enemies can't even budge my health.

Willow: That would also work well and is another option. Zones could be divided so only people who are on diff 2 are in the same zone and people on diff 1 is in another and so on. So that is an option for those who can't see the other system working, even though it would work perfectly and would actually be more balanced vs the system in the game now that have high level characters running around in low level zones killing things with one blow.

Edited by OutcastVP on April 12, 2014 10:15PM
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    Crumpy wrote: »
    It's an mmo you don't get difficulty sliders with them - as far as my experience goes

Actually, City of Heroes had one for years. :)

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thesiren wrote: »
    Crumpy wrote: »
    It's an mmo you don't get difficulty sliders with them - as far as my experience goes

Actually, City of Heroes had one for years. :)

For instanced missions only. Unless the OP wants them to instance the entire world, this ain't gonna happen.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just get naked, don't use any skills or passive, and only equip a level 1 one hand sword.

See if that is "hard core" enough.