The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Request: Feeling the Gaps in Style Options

Haxer
Haxer
✭✭✭
This is not talking about neon color dyes or anything ridiculous like that. I play entirely in 3rd person though so character aesthetics in TES are important to me. The "styles" mechanic overall is great, and really opens up a lot of looks, however there are several especially painful fashion spots that need dev help.

-Medium Armor helms look atrocious. There's a reason 90% of players are using light armor helms regardless of their class or rest of their gear. Light armor hoods look sweet, and go with a lot of looks. Medium armor helms, pretty much across all styles, are a total derp.

-Light Armor tops shouldn't always have to be a straight up graduation robe. I would appreciate having the choice to make Light armor in some variety, like a shirt or coat, a wrap, a cloak, something. Some characters should be wearing old school mage robes, but not every single character. NPC's are dressed in a variety of coats, shirts and pants, why are we forced into full cult robes?

-Kind of related to the first, Khajiit's specifically look a hot mess in pretty much every helm except a hood. Their own style, while practical (accommodates for ear space) looks pretty terrible, particularly medium. So I'm forced to either go Light Armor helm, hide helm altogether through the game settings, or walk around wondering why my sneaky assassin Khajiit is wearing an Imperial Legionnaire helmet, just because I need to wear medium armor.

Overall, I want to stay faithful to TES styles, and am NOT asking for changes that break the TES fidelity of the equipment looks, however, some style options within that world are seriously lacking, which would greatly increase the enjoyment and immersion of the game.

Thanks for reading.
Edited by Haxer on April 12, 2014 2:54PM
www.dragontears.boards.net
  • rtx
    rtx
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with the second part.
    As for the first - personally, I Would like leather hood.
    I have a suggestion of how would that look:
    Under armour type selection, you have 2 small arrows labelled 'variant'. For an example, when making robe, you can change its variant to jerkin.
    Variants I would like to see:
    -above mentioned jerkins.
    -above mentioned leather hoods.
    -greaves with coat-like things. See the bottom of skyrim studded armour or male sea drake disguise.
    -earless khajiit helmets, wingless imperial high-tier medium helmet, maskless breton high-toer hood, featherless argonian low-tier hood etc.
    -epaluets that don't look like pauldrons. I love the look of low lvl breton epaluets, but why are they only breton, altmer and ancient elf? Rest look like medium armor.
    -gloves without ankle armor and boots without knee armor.
    -helmets that actually fit the head [yes, I'm looking at you, dunmer!]
    -and so on.

I hope you understant me. :smile:
    Edited by rtx on April 12, 2014 7:29PM
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you seen the 'no helmet' option in settings? ^^

And yeah some look really terriblebut some really great and a bigger variety is always better.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Haxer
    Haxer
    ✭✭✭
    Yakidafi wrote: »
    Have you seen the 'no helmet' option in settings? ^^

If you read my post, I refer to using the "no helmet" option since there isn't a better option. I also think if "no-helmet" is better looking than the actual gear look, that's a problem.
    www.dragontears.boards.net
  • BirdUp
    BirdUp
    Kneon wrote: »
    Khajiit's specifically look a hot mess in pretty much every helm except a hood.

Have to disagree with you there, I rather like the Khajiit medium helmets and the Khajiit heavy armor helms look badass (or at least they do at level 30).
  • Edda
    Edda
    ✭✭
    Some more style and color choices would be welcome. I have also seen armor types in the game that does not seem to be reproducible by crafting. Can't look up what they are called right now, because servers are on the fritz but one level 7 alt of mine is wearing some very distinctive looking gloves and as far as I can tell, none of the racial armors, not even the ancient elf and others, seem to match them in look. But of course I can't tell 100% for sure.

That's another thing. Is there a way to preview an armor before you buy or craft it? If there is I haven't seen it and I think it's badly needed. Just a preview screen you can pop up where you select gender and race.

Honestly, I'm hoping ESO will follow Lord of the Rings Online and give us vanity slots, tasteful dyes and ability to turn off some armor graphics other than just helmets. Blending different armor styles the way it is now can have some odd side effects like floating knee and shoulder pads. And sometimes the shoulder pads or gloves just look too damn big and bulky compared to your chest armor. Or perhaps your character is suppose to be a scruffy looking nature child which seem like it will get harder to do as you get higher level and equipment start to look more elaborate.
    “The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.” [Terry Pratchett in Hogfather]
  • aneova_ESO
    aneova_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I have an issue with armor's eventually blocking out body mark's when it comes to medium and heavy armor, the armor's in T1 allow for such markings but after lvling up you wind up losing out, How bout an apperance tab ?