Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Concerned about armor options

Marthenil
Marthenil
✭✭✭
The way it is right now (and I'm talking purely PvE) there's absolutely no reason for anyone to get Heavy Armor unless they are a trinity sword and board tank, and even then there are non Heavy Armor builds for tanking.
Personally, that concerns me a lot. Usually, in a PvE environment, the amount of tanks is limited (1-2 depending on "raid" size). That means potentially wasted drops and generally very low usage of heavy armor.

Heavy armor at the moment is bringing way too few things compared to light and medium armor. The +dmg is laughable compared to the bonuses of medium and the softcaps for mitigation are so low that you can reach them easily without even bothering with heavy armor.
As a plate dps lover, I absolutely hate this.

I think some gameplay changes instead of pure +stam +magicka +health for the armors would be better. Apart from the obvious defence differences (armor and spell resist) the difference could be in movement speed and/or casting speed reduction etc etc. That would be more interesting and meaningful in my opinion.
Once again, I'm talking strictly PvE.

What are your thoughts?
  • fantom
    fantom
    There's nothing wrong with heavy armor being used mainly by tanks. That's what PLATE is, it's damage mitigation.

It doesn't make sense for plate armor to compete offensively with light or medium armor, because then no one would use anything but heavy! You trade offense for defense when you put on more armor, this is true both in real life and in every properly designed game ever.

In ESO specific terms, it's not "easy" to reach the armor softcap with medium. Is it possible? Yes, certainly. But by doing that you MUST give up other options in your stats and skills. That's called a tradeoff, and it means that heavy can pick up ground on medium by NOT needing to gear or skill for armor.

Armor types are fine.
  • Marthenil
    Marthenil
    ✭✭✭
    fantom wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with heavy armor being used mainly by tanks. That's what PLATE is, it's damage mitigation.

It doesn't make sense for plate armor to compete offensively with light or medium armor, because then no one would use anything but heavy! You trade offense for defense when you put on more armor, this is true both in real life and in every properly designed game ever.

In ESO specific terms, it's not "easy" to reach the armor softcap with medium. Is it possible? Yes, certainly. But by doing that you MUST give up other options in your stats and skills. That's called a tradeoff, and it means that heavy can pick up ground on medium by NOT needing to gear or skill for armor.

Armor types are fine.

How is everyone using Heavy instead of everyone using Medium any different though? Because that's what's happening right now. All the DPS and Healing roles are utilizing medium and light.
    That's why I mentioned gameplay changes instead of raw passive bonuses.

Currently, as it is right now, most of the customization (at least regarding armor) is either non existant or extremely shallow. Be a tank wear heavy, be a melee, wear medium, be a caster, wear light. I just don't see any meaningful choice.
    (Once again I'm talking about PvE, PvP is a whole different matter)

Edited by Marthenil on April 13, 2014 7:31AM
  • blasimirvillab16_ESO
    In my personal experience, players begin with the familiar and then start branching out and tweaking as the game progresses. At lower levels you don't have enough skill points to spend in two armor types, so you stick to one. Once you get to veteran ranks mixing heavy with medium, etc. will become more viable.
    I think you are overestimating the impact overcharge has. It's less bad than you think and you will find adding heavy armor pieces would still increase your defensive capabilities past the overcharge threshold.

Being a heavy armor dps should be about trade offs. It's simply unfair to want the protection of heavy armor and still be a dps powerhouse. You need to look deeper into mechanics to understand what you are winning. As a heavy armor dps in ESO you'd probably win time on target by not having to run out of some AoEs. Simply stay in and block (heavy armor passives help you do this) now you have more time on target to swing your sword. This should make up for less stamina regen.
    Yes, the most obvious reason to be a heavy armor dps is PvP. In PvE its usefulness it less clear and this is what you are finding frustrating.

Bottom line is that you are free to play however you want but if you want to be competitive you need to understand what your strengths and your weaknesses are.
    Edited by blasimirvillab16_ESO on April 14, 2014 11:09AM
  • blasimirvillab16_ESO
    Contrary to your experience, I've seen quite a few players experimenting with heavily armored healers, medium armor tanks and so on. Most of them are in PvP but even in PvE I've seen quite a few interesting combinations that work as well.

It's all about knowing what you get and how to use it.
  • Sorpaijen_ESO
    Sorpaijen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    My characters are relatively low level, but I've tentatively planned two Heavy Armor wearers (at least partially).

One, a templar, will mainly use his sword-and-shield attacks and only maybe one sun-light attack and one heal sparingly... so the extra health regen and defense from heavy armor should keep him alive long enough that his meager magicka (supplemented by a few pieces of Light Armor, probably, like belt and shoulders maybe) will power the few heal spells he'll need.

The other is a Sorcerer who's planning on using Bound Armor and two Pets ---that's already eating a big chunk of available magicka; I was leaning Resto staff (to heal pets and me, if things get through my defenses) but since the Resto uses magicka TOO, I might have to back off the Heavy Armor and put more Light in than I originally intended.

On the other side of the fence, I have a Dragonknight that I intend to burn through magicka like a fat man at a hot-dog eating contest, so I'll be mainly Light Armor but I will have Heavy Chest and Legs (or Boots maybe) just for the LOOK of it ---- no robes, thanks.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I disagree.

I have always hated that in other games, plate armored guys could dps just as well as assassins. Thats rubbish.

This game got it right... cloth is for magicka users, plate is for defense, leather is for damage and mobility.

I agree with you that there may end up being wasted loot because not many use heavy. But keep in mind that at least 2 pieces of heavy armor is very common in PvP, and often in pve as well(since a full 7 light armor is not needed for regen).
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contrary to your experience, I've seen quite a few players experimenting with heavily armored healers, medium armor tanks and so on. Most of them are in PvP but even in PvE I've seen quite a few interesting combinations that work as well.

I'm a healer who uses heavy armor. I like it so far - so long as I stick to using a restoration staff.

• ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love heavy armour, mainly because one of my characters focuses on just Blacksmithing (two handed heavy armour) and leaves enough points to invest in other areas. Not to mention the ease of finding ores.

I like the high magicka regen of light armour, and the ease of materials and the spell resistance.

I used to like medium armour, till i found they get no resistance, more critical strike chances.

The health regen on heavy, IMO is a joke. I capped magicka regen and stamina regen by level 8-10 in some builds without enchanting, potions or beverages.

I dont know, heavy armour feels odd to me in this game for some reason.
    Jeremy wrote: »

I'm a healer who uses heavy armor. I like it so far - so long as I stick to using a restoration staff.

I can run around with no armour at all with a restoration staff and survive long battles, no big deal really.

mDKs still need a lot of love!
  • steinernein
    steinernein
    ✭✭
    Hint: If you crit 100% of the time with chosen attacks, you may wish to consider another armor type. That and if you want another way to abuse/use shield bash. Etc etc.
  • Lenthas
    Lenthas
    Im planning on making my DK purely medium armor and reach the cap with either cirlce protection or the armor buff.

Which works nice since I also want to be a bow user.

I do want to mix it with heavy armor, mostly for the looks, going 5med/2heavy route, but only dump skill points in heavy armor much later on.

Having a armor buff from both magicka sources and stamina ones means you can alternate depending on whats lower, and since you wear medium armor, stamina regen (along with green blood) should be fairly high, meaning you can also afford to use magicka regen drinks to compensate for the fact that you will most likely hit the stamina regen cap.

Also since blocking apparently blocks 100% of the damage as long as you have the stamina for it, just make sure to have that stamina cap at all levels and you should be good to go.
  • Cheatingdeath23
    Cheatingdeath23
    ✭✭✭
    I use only Heavy Armor (Templar with sword and shield), but I've maxed out my Armor, Stamina Regen and Magicka Regen.

Maybe I'd be better with medium, but I like the look of heavy.