Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Struggling with Nightblade armor and skills

RottenMuffin
RottenMuffin
✭✭
Hello folks,
I hope to find some help here.

My mainchar is a Nightblade (Level 17 atm) and I'm really comfartable with this class, but there are still some things I can't figure out myself.

I really like a stealthy / assassin way of play and prefer PvE over PvP.

My current build roughly looks like this:

Attributes: 2/1/1 (M/H/S)

Main skills are:
Soul Harvest (Ultimate)
Shadow Disguise
Killer's Blade
Surprise Attack
Ambush

I use dual wield with two daggers and play as a Breton.

My fighting strategy is to sneak up the enemies and start with Surprise Attack, then spam my class skills (preferably Surprise Attack until low life then Killer's Blade of course). So I mainly try to be as stealthy as possibly and use Shadow Disguise when discovered to sneak behind the enemy. I only use Ambush for ranged NPCs that try to run away from me.

So my problem is that I can't decide which armor to wear. At the moment I wear 5 pieces of light and 2 of medium armor for the Magicka regen, reduced spell costs and spell crit. But I still don't know if class skills profit from spell or physical crit and I also kinda feel like a glasscannon. Medium armor seems to buff only stamina skills but I don't use none of them. Which leads to my other question. Is it wise not to use stamina abilities or even "left click attacks"? Like I said I spam class skills and use my daggers only in case my Magicka is depleted (which is not likely because of my racial and armor passives and my attribute distribution).

I hope to find someone to answer my question and maybe someone feels the same way like me and has the same problems?
I know this game offers a great variety of playstyles but picking a wrong way now will only lead to frustration in the end.

Greetings from Germany. ;)
Feel free to correct my non-native english.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I gather, any of the nightblade skills which create a 'phantom sword' (the red lightsaber looking thing) are based on melee crit, rather than spell crit. There's a lot of debate about this, and ZOS's crappy tooltips and data availability to players doesnt exactly help the issue much.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • ExotypeGhost
    ExotypeGhost
    ✭✭
    I'm a nightblade as well. There is quite a bit of Magicka based leather in the game. For me, it mainly started dropping in the early 20's and seems like that is a majority of what I get on leather drops when my char is more stamina based on attacks since I mainly use bow.
    Synnixra VR16 Nightblade EP
    "Strike swiftly, strike silently, for the shadows are my domain."
  • snigernissen
    snigernissen
    ✭✭
    hmm im a nightblade archer so im not into melee, but im all for medium leather to gain better stam and crit ( atm im rocking the dps from what i can see, and i got people around me asking me how i do so much dammage without them even hitting me.
    Basicly all i did was take the first shadow skill so i have a "vanish" cause this leaves the mobs standing still for about 2 secs and then i just blast aoe at them or heavy single target dammage, i would say, go medium armor for the bonuses there and stick to it :)

But then again, im a ranged class so what do i know ;)

Oh and TESO site has an ability calculator btw so you can try out what would happen if you used this and that ability in theory, epic way to plan ahead :)

EDIT: after doing some calculating you want to go medium armor and if you find your self in need of mana, then use the enchants to boost your mana pool on your armor
    Edited by snigernissen on April 12, 2014 10:14PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why you feel that medium armor only buffs stamina skills. There's plenty of found armor that will have magicka enchants, and if it doesn't, you can craft/buy a glyph to make it buff magicka.
    ----
    Murray?
  • RottenMuffin
    RottenMuffin
    ✭✭
    I meant the medium armor passives. They are all about Stamina and physical attacks if I remeber them right.
    Feel free to correct my non-native english.
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a magic base Night Blade as well, and from what I learn. You do want stamina and melee swings hitting hard as well.

Medium armor is great to have, You want the swing faster and leeching well if they ever fix it any way. You want that for faster mana gain back and life back. Hitting harder with your swings is still a good idea to have. Plus stamina for stealth and such.
    Edited by rager82b14_ESO on April 12, 2014 8:47PM