Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is Crafting Level related to Character Level ?

Deepfry
Deepfry
Can a level 5 character (for example) reach maximum crafting level as long as he/she is supplied with the necessary crafting materials ?

Or do you reach a point where you are told that you cannot increase your Crafting level until your character has reached "X level" ?

• Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    No. But gathering the higher level ingredients might get a bit difficult.
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the opposite problem, in that my lvl 22 character cannot raise provisioning past 11. I check for ingredients for the recipes I can make, be it in dungeons, taverns or marketplaces, but they're all empty. I can find loads of higher level ingredients in the zones I'm questing in though!
  • WhiteQueen
    WhiteQueen
    ✭✭✭
    Deepfry wrote: »
    Can a level 5 character (for example) reach maximum crafting level as long as he/she is supplied with the necessary crafting materials ?

Or do you reach a point where you are told that you cannot increase your Crafting level until your character has reached "X level" ?

It's possible but highly unlikely. You'll need skill points to be able to craft higher content so unless you can find a way to farm skyshards without leveling up you're pretty much screwed.
  • hilelorangutan
    Coggage wrote: »
    I have the opposite problem, in that my lvl 22 character cannot raise provisioning past 11. I check for ingredients for the recipes I can make, be it in dungeons, taverns or marketplaces, but they're all empty. I can find loads of higher level ingredients in the zones I'm questing in though!

This is odd as I found provisioning to be the easiest. You might be running into one of two problems. Either you aren't picking up any recipes for the new components that you've recieved so are unable to use them, or you have the recipes but haven't put the necessary skill points into provisioning to allow you to craft higher level foods.

If its just an issue of recipes I would suggest either looting through drawers in towns (or killing humanoids seems to sometimes drop these) or just sending out a WTB in zone to see if anyone has any spares. I know I typically have a few on hand that I've already learned and would be willing to sell for more than the 9g I can get from a vendor. :)

• Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, it could be the recipes. I recall some people saying that tier 1 recipes drop a lot, but tier 2 not so much for some reason.

For some reason ingredients are dropping again in crates, sacks and barrels. I'll have to grab a lot of stuff this weekend to catch up.
  • Qutayba
    Qutayba
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible, but you will need skill points to unlock the higher crafting tiers. In the early game that means spending fewer points on your combat and survival skills.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    oddly once I reached level 13 or 14 the tier 2 reciepies started dropping like mad for me.