The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Mac Crashes! That's with a processor that's 64-bit!

reptipresb16_ESO
These random game crashes occur all the time, every day.

I have more than the recommended hardware to run the game, read through the Mac Technical Support Stickies in this forum and don't have any of the "lesser" computer hardware that they are saying will cause crashes.

I never have any other programs on while running the game, including the start up launcher.

Finally, I have all my in-game settings turned down to medium, low, or even off, and still there are crashes and loading issues.

Recently, I joined a guild who used Team Speak and overheard the members saying that they too have macs and were the only ones out of a group of 15 who had continuous crashes and severe loading issues; particularly in Cyrodil. There were four people with macs, the rest with PC's, and the people with PC's had absolutely no issues at all. There was a combined 8 hours of attempts to load from a cave-to-Cyrodil between the four mac users in our otherwise short time playing.

This is not an issue with macs not being able to out-perform PC's, but the game itself not being compatible with Mac hardware at this point in time.

PS: The game itself is fantastic, but these issues need addressing fast.

Here is some more detailed information about my Macbook Pro:

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's nothing to do with a 64-bit OS as all OS X versions supported are that. It is 32-bit as it is cross-platform development and it is to support older computers.

The game is perfectly compatible with OS X and runs fine generally outside Cyrodiil big battles. There are issues that effect both platforms including stuck at loading screen, group crashes. See the many other threads on this which are on both clients:

Cyrodiil Crashes Search

The Mac specific issue is with memory which will cause a crash over time. In PvP that is more frequent and is a known issue which is being worked on. I assume the other server side problems are also being worked on.

You graphics card is the minimum system requirement and is struggle in big battles even without a memory issues. In PVE it should OK with lower settings.
    MAC MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Operating System: Mac® OS X 10.7.0 or later
    Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo
    Video Card: Intel™ HD Graphics 4000, NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 6490M or better
    Memory: 4GB Ram
    Storage: 60GB
    Media: DVD-ROM
    Resolution: 1024X768 minimum display resolution
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3315
  • wendlynne
    wendlynne
    anyone else having a hard time with the client not being able to restart? I can handle the crashes, but the client crashing every time I start (the crash reporter I believe is actually triggering it) is insane.
  • reptipresb16_ESO
    Ah yes, that would definitely explain it. Thank you for the reply Moonraker!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes, that would definitely explain it. Thank you for the reply Moonraker!
    No problem. Happy to help explain it a bit more.
  • Gingerninja
    Do we know when we can expect a fix to this memory crashing issue?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. We do know that work is ongoing on the changes already implemented for the memory issue between beta and launch version which made some improvements. I imagine they will get included into the game client at some point when they have been tested. They may or may not be included in Patch Notes.
  • Gingerninja
    Moonraker wrote: »
    No. We do know that work is ongoing on the changes already implemented for the memory issue between beta and launch version which made some improvements. I imagine they will get included into the game client at some point when they have been tested. They may or may not be included in Patch Notes.

Ah, so they are working on it, but they haven't deployed their fix yet?
    Hmm ok. I hope they do soon, its very dis-concerting to demand such high payment for a game which keeps crashing. I can't play pvp at all.

I'm also on a few new mac book pro (well above the minimum specs).
  • reptipresb16_ESO
    It's actually no more expensive than any other pay-to-play MMO. These issues are to be expected with such a large game like ESO when it first comes out. Actually, I'm relieved that the launch is going so well!

It could have turned out like the GTA5 Online launch, which is pretty much the worst launch I have ever experienced.

ESO and the Zeni' team are doing well, I'd say.

I've altered my settings a bit, and ever since the latest North American Megaserver shutdown last night, I haven't experienced almost any crashes at all!

These are my current game settings that seem to be working:

DISPLAY
    Resolution: 1280x800
    Vertical Sync: ON
    Anti-Aliasing: OFF
    Gama Adjustment: FULL

INTERFACE
    Custom Scale: slightly below half

GRAPHICS

Graphics Quality: Custom (although I chose MEDIUM first and then altered my settings. If I chose LOW and then altered my settings; everything looked horrible)
    Texture Quality: LOW
    Subsampling Quality: High
    Shadow Quality: OFF
    Water Reflection Quality: OFF
    Particle Density: LOW
    View Distance: 25

Ambient Occlusion: OFF
    Bloom: OFF
    Depth of Field: OFF
    Distortion: OFF
    Sunlight Rays: OFF
    Grass: OFF

This makes the game playable without being really ugly. However, It would be nice to be able to implement some of these features to make it more pretty without crashing every 10 minutes.

With these settings (on my computer's hardware) I have only crashed once or twice every several hours. Which I think is pretty normal for the current age of this game. In fact, better than normal!

Also, I haven't had any lag issues since the mini-patch and graphics changes.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

Ah, so they are working on it, but they haven't deployed their fix yet?
    Hmm ok. I hope they do soon, its very dis-concerting to demand such high payment for a game which keeps crashing. I can't play pvp at all.

I'm also on a few new mac book pro (well above the minimum specs).
    They deployed changes already from previous feedback and reports, between beta and live launch. And are continuing to investigate and will submit any changes for the Mac client for testing. The it gets included in a live Update at some point.

You should be aware that there are also other reasons for crashing in PvP which is separate from the Mac client memory issue.

On any computer they advise to reduce graphics settings down for Cyrodiil due to the extra load from all the layers together etc. This would be lower than those which you can generally run in questing and general PVE.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 13, 2014 1:59PM
  • reptipresb16_ESO
    On any computer they advise to reduce graphics settings down for Cyrodiil due to the extra load from all the layers together etc. This would be lower than those which you can generally run in questing and general PVE.

That may be difficult to achieve with my current settings.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

That may be difficult to achieve with my current settings.
    Sure, you already did as they recommended. It's for others not used to the difference between PVE questing and the higher demands of big battle PvP.

What Mac/ system setup do you have? Model, graphics card etc.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 13, 2014 2:03PM
  • reptipresb16_ESO

It's posted in the OP.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

It's posted in the OP.
    OK, missed that. The fact it is an integrated graphics card means it will be using the computers memory which will further impact on the memory issue and it will struggle in demanding situations.

Main thing you have adjusted settings to get the best result.
  • sSolutionSs
    sSolutionSs
    ✭✭✭
    I have Over the Recommended specs for my mac and this Game Is just Simply Broken for the Mac Client.

Lowering Settings will not fix the problem it will just Stretch it out.

Although the problem may lay in the memory However its the Mac version of the Game that has the issue and the Devs Need to fix this Or loose my sub for sure, this game is unplayable in pvp on mac And all i am planning on doing is pvp.

• reptipresb16_ESO
    I have Over the Recommended specs for my mac and this Game Is just Simply Broken for the Mac Client.

Lowering Settings will not fix the problem it will just Stretch it out.

Although the problem may lay in the memory However its the Mac version of the Game that has the issue and the Devs Need to fix this Or loose my sub for sure, this game is unplayable in pvp on mac And all i am planning on doing is pvp.

As they stated before, it's not just Mac that is having PvP area issues. It's cyrodiil itself that is causing such complications. But, that just means they will have that problem as one of their main concerns.

If this is your first MMO, then you must know that these complications are going to happen during the early age of the game and during launch. I'd wait for a few months before making your decision.

ESO is actually having quite a smooth launch in comparison to other games.