Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

To Pair with a Staff

ClaudiaMay
ClaudiaMay
✭✭✭
Happy Friday EOS Friends!

Ok, so bit of a newb question, but here goes:

I'm leveling my sorcerer (happily so now with all your great tips!) currently with a resto staff as my main weapon. I'm only about level 6-7, so I don't have weapon switch yet, but I was going to start leveling a sort of "back-up" weapon skill. I can't decide what to choose though. I have the destruction staff leveling alongside currently. However I was thinking a different weapon type might be useful.

What have you guys picked so far? Any thoughts are appreciated. Not worried about min/maxing, just what weapon did you like or level? :smile:
Currently Playing:
Sorcerer Claudia Warren May, lvl 40. Woodworking 25/Clothing 25/Provisioning 50.
Dragon Knight, lvl 8. Blacksmithing/Enchanting.
Nightblade, lvl 3. Alchemy.
Templar, lvl 7.
  • Xezzu
    Xezzu
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, well, i'm not sure. You've picked the two I would have, though I have thought sometimes about taking the One-Hand and Shield for an offset combo for when I need some defense quickly.

Any of the other weapons you choose (aside from Destro and Resto staff) will use Stamina to fuel their abilities though. I suppose you might consider if that is a pro or a con for you, even without being interested in min/maxing.
    We must all aspire to better ourselves, to better our person and to better our quality; but no matter how much better we become, no single one of us will ever be better than all of us combined.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a main 16 healer/tank Templar, sword and shield, and rolled a sorcerer just now and got him to 6.

I'm blown away by how much easier things seem - solo at least, dps, and the ability to hit from range, solves a LOT of problems, he's not that much squishier, and she can't heal that much to offset that.

Anyway, I've tried the following combos -

1. bow

seems OP. Everything dies before it gets close.

2. 2h sword.

Just funny watching a wizard swing one. Quickly finishes off survivors from your spells.

3. sword and board

Lets you bide your time, but solo, there needs to be a point to this. Do you have enough mana and regen to keep lobbing spells and finish your opponent while he's trying to work out how to get past your shield? Then it can work. Otherwise you just stand there slowly loosing health with an opponent you can't finish.

I've not tried Restoration staff yet, which everyone recommends.

Perhaps Sword and Shield would be useful in an instance, tanks in this game can only agro one or two mobs so having the ability to defend will make you useful to the group.

Then swap to staff and 7 pcs light armour for the boss itself (assuming no adds)
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    My sorc is leveling resto and bow. I figure when Im pure dps I can use my stamina pool. Even if I never put a point into stamina it still goes up on its own so I might as well have a way to make use of it.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I feel in love with this class while running sword and board. Blocked his big attack, then exploited with a heavy melee of my own to knock him down. Then I noticed Crystal Shard off cooldown, and cast it.

When you do that to a mob that's lying on the ground at your feet, the animation looks exactly like the "Onyxia wipe animation" (please Youtube it!)

Throw more DoTs! More DoTs! Come on , Lots more DoTs!

K, stop the DoTs!

Has to be intentional.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, check this guide out. It might help you with the how to figure out what you want, and how to get there... until you figure it all out.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63690/the-new-character-what-skill-to-take-guide
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »
    Honestly, check this guide out. It might help you with the how to figure out what you want, and how to get there... until you figure it all out.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63690/the-new-character-what-skill-to-take-guide

They asked a pretty specific question and you link a very vague guide that doesn't even go into weapon detail? Are you just looking for hits on that thread or what?
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Shimond I am actually slightly offended at the accusation. He was talking about using different weapons and trying to figure out which way to go... with that "guide" he would be getting 9 skills up in xp at one time until he figured out what to put his skill points into.

Why would I care about hits? I thought it was cool I got 5,000 views which means probably half of that amount got some insight from reading.