Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

certain things locked to race?

genericroleplayer92
The title says it all. I want to know if there are certain things that are completely dependant on racial choice. To be more specific, I want to know if there are any special interactions between player characters and non player characters that alter base on race. My primary example would be that an orc in the aldmeri dominion be treated differently than say an altmer in the same faction. This question can be altered to fit whatever race/faction combo you want, the purpose does not change.

My other posts have been about QoL changes, including but not limited to the following;

A toggled minimap
subtitles
altered starting gear for skipping the tutorial based on class
altered loot drops based on class
a playable dremora race choice

**Edited my poor use of words for a previous thought. I was under the assumption that Dremora's were the same thing as deadras, when in fact they were different altogether, Dremora being more specific.
Edited by genericroleplayer92 on April 11, 2014 9:29PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I've seen, no. That tends to be because the leadership in each faction is not so racist, so your interactions with non-enemy NPCs won't be tainted with that.

Also:
    -No
    -Probably a good idea, but for major story conversations only. I don't want all my NPC remarks scrolling across the screen.
    -Nope. You skip the tutorial, you take the hit. And the game has no way of knowing what would be useful, since any class can use any item.
    -No. Class determines nothing. See above.
    -No, no and no. Daedra are magically bound to their princes, and they tend to not have free will. Those that appear to are still bound in service, so there's not a whole lot of fun to be had once you get over looking real cool.
    Edited by nerevarine1138 on April 11, 2014 1:12PM
    ----
    Murray?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed a couple quests where the npc dialogue changes a little based on your race. Questions about the tribunal on a dunmer character for example have led to expressions of shock and disbelief. And there was something I recall seeing on a nord where they said something like 'as you know, being a nord' or whatever.

But I don't think there's anything major like missing quests unless you're a specific race.
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a very good minimap mod called ZrMiniMap which I find invaluable.
  • genericroleplayer92
    As far as I've seen, no. That tends to be because the leadership in each faction is not so racist, so your interactions with non-enemy NPCs won't be tainted with that.

Also:
    -No
    -Probably a good idea, but for major story conversations only. I don't want all my NPC remarks scrolling across the screen.
    -Nope. You skip the tutorial, you take the hit. And the game has no way of knowing what would be useful, since any class can use any item.
    -No. Class determines nothing. See above.
    -No, no and no. Daedra are magically bound to their princes, and they tend to not have free will. Those that appear to are still bound in service, so there's not a whole lot of fun to be had once you get over looking real cool.

Honestly, I feel that it would be something to add more depth to the game. Also, I don't mean for this to include anything implying extreme racism, but having some unique racial interactions would make it slightly more immersive.

Here are my reasonings for my QoL suggestions;

A minimap- most MMO games have one, and while I adore the compass, I find the main map too large for my tastes. Currently, I do use ZrMiniMap, scaled down as far as possible, and it's a great addon, however, if the game had one as well as a toggle option for it, well, I don't know about anyone else, but I would enjoy it.

Subtitles- Yeah, the subtitles speak for themselves. I know there's the option for npc text in the chat box, but that's small enough as it is.

Skipped tutorial changes- I just don't like starting as a sorcerer, and getting those swords. The swords are fine for the warrior and the templar (maybe adding a shield as well), but I would expect say a base destruction staff (randomized between fire/ frost/ and shock) and maybe a healing staff. For the nightblade, I wold think a couple of daggers and maybe a bow. As I said, nothing game breaking, just basic weapons for a lvl 3 character, you know?

Looted items- As for the altered loot drops, that's just an idea I had, say a warrior/ templar would be more likely to find melee weapons and heavy armor pieces, while say a sorcerer would be more apt to find magical materials and light armor/ staffs, then the nightblade would likely find more herb, potion materials, and medim armor. As I said, just a thought

Finally, a deadra- I feel I must point out that not all deadra are inherently evil/ want to kill all others and take over tamriel. If this is even ever considered, there would be a multitude of things to work out. Like which deadric prince you follow, maybe some combat bonuses in oblivion, etc. I mainly want it for the "cool" factor myself xD
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to feedback your ideas in the game interface.
  • genericroleplayer92
    Shimond wrote: »
    Be sure to feedback your ideas in the game interface.

how? xD

• Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    type /feedback in game chat :)
    Altheina - Wood Elf Nightblade
    TESO Fun-fact 1: It takes to kill 119,050 mudcrabs to reach level 50
    TESO Fun-fact 2: There are 61 million items in the game
    TESO Fun-fact 3: There are 40,656,000 different weapon variations in the game
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Skipped tutorial changes- I just don't like starting as a sorcerer, and getting those swords. The swords are fine for the warrior and the templar (maybe adding a shield as well), but I would expect say a base destruction staff (randomized between fire/ frost/ and shock) and maybe a healing staff. For the nightblade, I wold think a couple of daggers and maybe a bow. As I said, nothing game breaking, just basic weapons for a lvl 3 character, you know?

Looted items- As for the altered loot drops, that's just an idea I had, say a warrior/ templar would be more likely to find melee weapons and heavy armor pieces, while say a sorcerer would be more apt to find magical materials and light armor/ staffs, then the nightblade would likely find more herb, potion materials, and medim armor. As I said, just a thought

Finally, a deadra- I feel I must point out that not all deadra are inherently evil/ want to kill all others and take over tamriel. If this is even ever considered, there would be a multitude of things to work out. Like which deadric prince you follow, maybe some combat bonuses in oblivion, etc. I mainly want it for the "cool" factor myself xD

Just to address these specific issues, because the minimap is a completely pointless thing that can be modded in by people too lazy to use their map or (Talos forbid) explore:

Your sorcerer is using a staff. My sorcerer is using a greatsword. One of my nightblades uses staves. Classes are not locked in to a specific gear type. That applies to all loot drops. The game has no way of knowing exactly what your playstyle is, because it's unique to you.

And playing a daedra would be "cool" in the way that Ghost Rider is cool: you'd get over it after middle school. It completely breaks lore.

Edited by nerevarine1138 on April 11, 2014 3:32PM
    ----
    Murray?
  • Januk
    Januk

Just to address these specific issues, because the minimap is a completely pointless thing that can be modded in by people too lazy to use their map or (Talos forbid) explore:

Your sorcerer is using a staff. My sorcerer is using a greatsword. One of my nightblades uses staves. Classes are not locked in to a specific gear type. That applies to all loot drops. The game has no way of knowing exactly what your playstyle is, because it's unique to you.

And playing a daedra would be "cool" in the way that Ghost Rider is cool: you'd get over it after middle school. It completely breaks lore.
    Exactly this, I don't mind there being a minimap but why should Zenimax spend the resources on this when someone already made a very workable mod for it? People would just say it's a rip off of the mod n call it a day.

His uses a staff, yours a greatsword, mine Sword n Board. :D

For the daedra part... Who would of summoned you? Lost control of you? What kind of daedra? Cause the stronger the summoner the stronger the daedra, you got the scamps, the clannfears, the daedroths, dremora, twilights etc. The difference between a Daedra n a summoned Daedra is that by their nature they serve a Daedric Prince be it an evil one (Mehrunez Dagon) or a more kind one (Meridia, Azura) they still serve a Daedric prince. Now the summoned Daedra they still serve a prince but they're bound to the plane of nirn by the summoner and also by extension bound to their will.
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten comments from NPCs specific to my race, but only when I was one of the normal three races for the alliance. For instance, the first questgiver in Bleakrock, when I asked about the races of EP, responded differently according to my race when I was playing a Dunmer and a Nord, but the question wasn't even available for my Breton. It was just dialogue, though, no quests.
    Edited by Melian on April 11, 2014 7:00PM
  • genericroleplayer92
    Januk wrote: »
    Exactly this, I don't mind there being a minimap but why should Zenimax spend the resources on this when someone already made a very workable mod for it? People would just say it's a rip off of the mod n call it a day.

His uses a staff, yours a greatsword, mine Sword n Board. :D

For the daedra part... Who would of summoned you? Lost control of you? What kind of daedra? Cause the stronger the summoner the stronger the daedra, you got the scamps, the clannfears, the daedroths, dremora, twilights etc. The difference between a Daedra n a summoned Daedra is that by their nature they serve a Daedric Prince be it an evil one (Mehrunez Dagon) or a more kind one (Meridia, Azura) they still serve a Daedric prince. Now the summoned Daedra they still serve a prince but they're bound to the plane of nirn by the summoner and also by extension bound to their will.

eh, just something I want, still classified as QoL

the altered beginning gear would just use the base weapons of the class. Like it is now, you can just go get a sword or what have you for your own preference.

A deadra, well, I was thinking about this. What would probably happen, is there would be a unique starting scene, in which your character goes through an area that isn't the Wailing Prison, (or is, I don't know how to go about this,) saving the prophet and then you work your way to Tamriel, ending up at the starting point you normally would. The starting scene would differ based on what Deadric Entity you would be under. As with the loot drops, just a thought, and completely doable, though I don't think there'd be much time for it~

I'm simply thinking of the players, for the minimap and subs, making the game flow more easily for the item changes, and then adding more variety to the available character creations. that's all. What one wants, ultimately is what one wants. I will always want these, even if others don't, and describing all the points it would not work won't deter me from wanting the idea to become reality. Do I think Zenimax will do any of these? Not at all. Do I want them to? Very much so.
  • pysgod1978b14_ESO
    There no base weapons for the class. Sure, it shows the veteran gear in character creator. But it doesn't show weapons.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There no base weapons for the class. Sure, it shows the veteran gear in character creator. But it doesn't show weapons.

This, this, a thousand times this. The game has no way of determining what your "base weapon" is, because any class can use any weapon.

Also, study up on your daedric lore. I'm not sure what kind of daedra you envision yourself being, but I promise you, your existence would not be as thrilling as you seem to be assuming it would.
    ----
    Murray?
  • genericroleplayer92

sorry, I thought it was more of a unanimous thing that typically warriors used swords and shields more than a mage who uses more of a staff/ stave/ wand, and a rogue who normally wouldn't use something as bulky as a sword in their sneaky playstyle.

I know this is an elder scrolls game, but before this, there were no pre-set classes, so the player had complete decision as to how to play. Now there are pre-set classes, which provide a base of character growth, and the player still has the decision of how to develop the character as they please. However, having classes would imply that there's a certain style that fits each class by default, with weapons and armor to go with it. Heavy for warriors, Medium for Rogues, Light for Mages, with the Templar being the jack of all trades, etc. so sorry for wanting something to aesthetically fit the class of the player character~
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    The title says it all. I want to know if there are certain things that are completely dependant on racial choice. To be more specific, I want to know if there are any special interactions between player characters and non player characters that alter base on race. My primary example would be that an orc in the aldmeri dominion be treated differently than say an altmer in the same faction. This question can be altered to fit whatever race/faction combo you want, the purpose does not change.
    No. All those interactions are determined by alliance, not race. There are no racial factions in the game like there are in EQ and other MMOs.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

sorry, I thought it was more of a unanimous thing that typically warriors used swords and shields more than a mage who uses more of a staff/ stave/ wand, and a rogue who normally wouldn't use something as bulky as a sword in their sneaky playstyle.

I know this is an elder scrolls game, but before this, there were no pre-set classes, so the player had complete decision as to how to play. Now there are pre-set classes, which provide a base of character growth, and the player still has the decision of how to develop the character as they please. However, having classes would imply that there's a certain style that fits each class by default, with weapons and armor to go with it. Heavy for warriors, Medium for Rogues, Light for Mages, with the Templar being the jack of all trades, etc. so sorry for wanting something to aesthetically fit the class of the player character~

You keep saying words like "warrior" and "mage" as though they have significance in this game. Stop thinking about this as D&D or WoW. The class names are just names. Each class can use any armor, any weapon, and fill any role. Period. There is no rogue class. There is no mage class. There is no warrior class.
    ----
    Murray?
  • genericroleplayer92

This, this, a thousand times this. The game has no way of determining what your "base weapon" is, because any class can use any weapon.

Also, study up on your daedric lore. I'm not sure what kind of daedra you envision yourself being, but I promise you, your existence would not be as thrilling as you seem to be assuming it would.

I'm not a lore fanatic, I suggest what I think would be fun. I honestly don't care the specifics about being a Deadra, I just want to play as one, for the sheer wtf factor when I charge into the fight against Molag Bal, and have him be like;

"wait, why am I being attacked by my own kind?" kind of thing.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a lore fanatic, I suggest what I think would be fun. I honestly don't care the specifics about being a Deadra, I just want to play as one, for the sheer wtf factor when I charge into the fight against Molag Bal, and have him be like;

As someone with "roleplayer" in your name, I'm surprised you'd say that. The lore defines this universe as the Elder Scrolls universe. Daedra are a very specific form of being. What you're asking for is akin to asking for the ability to play as a sorcerer's familiar in any tradiational D&D game.
    ----
    Murray?
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    I'm simply thinking of the players, for the minimap and subs, making the game flow more easily for the item changes, and then adding more variety to the available character creations. that's all. What one wants, ultimately is what one wants. I will always want these, even if others don't, and describing all the points it would not work won't deter me from wanting the idea to become reality. Do I think Zenimax will do any of these? Not at all. Do I want them to? Very much so.
    Well, you're in the minority, so it won't happen. Elder Scrolls Games are very lore heavy (which is a big part of their appeal), and the stuff you are proposing totally breaks lore.

• SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭

Well, that would be a huge negative to the people who do like the lore, and would impact their gameplay. An MMO is not like a single player game. The things you do also affect other people. So there has to be compromise on some level.

• genericroleplayer92
    sorry for having an inkling of an idea of something I feel would help the game, even just a bit. Even if it's been used before. Sorry for having an idea, and presenting it to the community, hoping maybe someone could be like, "Yea, I can see this happening" or if they don't, then instead of trying to shoot it down completely, since I already know it probably won't happen, see that they all are just ideas and can take it as just the wants of another player. I know I'm the minority, which is why I never word my posts as "Zenimax, do this or I leave."

And the way I see it, the stuff I'm suggesting would add lore, not completely break it. is it too hard to believe a dremora style character would revolt, when given the same thought processes as other beings, given the same choices others have, and choosing to help the lesser races in their fight.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is an elder scrolls game, but before this, there were no pre-set classes, so the player had complete decision as to how to play. Now there are pre-set classes
    Not really. They are mostly names only. Anyone, of any class, can join the mages guild and cast spells (and everyone has access to soul magic from the beginning, by default). Anyone, of any class, can become an expert swordsman. Anyone, of any class, can learn to sneak and pick locks.

The "classes" are really just templates for noob players. Once you are in the teens, they become largely irrelevant. Only a tiny fraction of the skills in the game are class-specific. By the time you get to level 50, the vast majority of your skills will not be in your class trees.

You can start as a dragonknight and completely ignore melee. You can wear robes and cast spells and become a very effective mage instead. All the classes have skills that can easily be adapted to spells.

Edited by SadisticSavior on April 11, 2014 8:26PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry for having an inkling of an idea of something I feel would help the game, even just a bit. Even if it's been used before. Sorry for having an idea, and presenting it to the community, hoping maybe someone could be like, "Yea, I can see this happening" or if they don't, then instead of trying to shoot it down completely, since I already know it probably won't happen, see that they all are just ideas and can take it as just the wants of another player. I know I'm the minority, which is why I never word my posts as "Zenimax, do this or I leave."

And the way I see it, the stuff I'm suggesting would add lore, not completely break it. is it too hard to believe a dremora style character would revolt, when given the same thought processes as other beings, given the same choices others have, and choosing to help the lesser races in their fight.

Yes, it's very hard to believe a dremora would revolt against their daedric prince, because they can't. They can rebel against a mortal who summons them to Nirn (that's another problem, by the way), but they can't become something they aren't. Dremora aren't people. They don't have that much free will.

And no one is upset with you for sharing an idea, but don't get your knickers in a twist over people pointing out why your idea is completely contradictory to over a decade's worth of established lore. Motorcycles are also cool, but that doesn't mean that they belong in this game.
    Edited by nerevarine1138 on April 11, 2014 8:29PM
    ----
    Murray?
  • genericroleplayer92
    Yes, it's very hard to believe a dremora would revolt against their daedric prince, because they can't. They can rebel against a mortal who summons them to Nirn (that's another problem, by the way), but they can't become something they aren't. Dremora aren't people. They don't have that much free will.

And no one is upset with you for sharing an idea, but don't get your knickers in a twist over people pointing out why your idea is completely contradictory to over a decade's worth of established lore. Motorcycles are also cool, but that doesn't mean that they belong in this game.

though, I could totally see that being added. I have a thing for reskinning existing models in a game~
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

though, I could totally see that being added. I have a thing for reskinning existing models in a game~

See, that's a problem. Why can you see that being added? What part of a motorcycle screams "Elder Scrolls" to you?
    ----
    Murray?
  • genericroleplayer92

See, that's a problem. Why can you see that being added? What part of a motorcycle screams "Elder Scrolls" to you?

Nothing, thats the point of a cosmetic skin. it doesn't affect gameplay, just a model's appearance. I can see some random horse being reskinned to a motorcycle, assuming you have it, and then you would be riding around on a cycle.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing, thats the point of a cosmetic skin. it doesn't affect gameplay, just a model's appearance. I can see some random horse being reskinned to a motorcycle, assuming you have it, and then you would be riding around on a cycle.

And ruining everyone else's experience. This is an MMO, not a modded Skyrim. I love tophat-wearing mudcrabs as much as the next guy, but the game needs to stay in keeping with the core design aesthetic of the Elder Scrolls universe.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, it does. Sword and board for dragonknight, dual daggers for nightblade, two-handed axe for templar, staff for sorcerer. But it's still irrelevant like armors, it's just to show an example of what we might end up looking like.

There are no class weapons. No discussion. I'd be incredibly annoyed if my lightly armored nightblade healer had loot arbitratily weighted towards med armor and melee weapons. Class-based loot has no place in this game.
  • genericroleplayer92
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Actually, it does. Sword and board for dragonknight, dual daggers for nightblade, two-handed axe for templar, staff for sorcerer. But it's still irrelevant like armors, it's just to show an example of what we might end up looking like.

There are no class weapons. No discussion. I'd be incredibly annoyed if my lightly armored nightblade healer had loot arbitratily weighted towards med armor and melee weapons. Class-based loot has no place in this game.

Well, as I said, thats more of a work in progress Idea, I wanted to get it into writing it down, and what have you.

also, I edited my poor use of words for a previous thought. I was under the assumption that Dremora's were the same thing as deadras, when in fact they were different altogether, Dremora being more specific.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, as I said, thats more of a work in progress Idea, I wanted to get it into writing it down, and what have you.

also, I edited my poor use of words for a previous thought. I was under the assumption that Dremora's were the same thing as deadras, when in fact they were different altogether, Dremora being more specific.

Dremoras are a form of daedra. All daedra are bound to their plane of Oblivion unless summoned.

If you're going to come up with roleplaying ideas, you need to know the lore. Otherwise, it just becomes you spewing a bunch of "Wouldn't [x] look awesome?" ideas, which have no basis in the world of the game.
    ----
    Murray?