Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How does PVP work?

Gareske
Gareske
Long story short, i feel like the PVP function in the game is shorthanding me, ALOT. Now im not going to go into how long it takes to get from one castle to the fight 10 miles out. What im more concerned with is how i seem to be doing very little damage to other players.

I play as a nightblade, not the best class for defence, but presumably decent at 1v1 altercations, (which i try to aim for) but for at least 8/10 I get into i find myself being 2-4 shotted by everything (excluding bow) under the sun. On top of that when i do get into the winning altercations, despite the fact that my opponets were caught with their pants down, it comes out to usually me having below 30HP. After looking over my own as well as a friends play-style (we play the same thing) has the same problem, but not as harsh. his loss chances are somewhere between 2-3/10.

So can someone please explain how the hell the pvp works?

and before anyone comes forward and says learn how to play. keep in mind i'm posting this in the help section, I'm TRYING. your dull-witted criticisms are not welcome.
Edited by ZOS_SilviaS on April 11, 2014 3:14AM
  • Victus
    Victus
    ✭✭✭
    My experience with PvP so far yield in nothing but zerg-fests. We either overrun enemies or get overrun. There is some strategy with 2 large groups facing off, such as not getting picked off and sticking with a group, but I have had very little small scale interaction so far.

I did enjoy keep siege and defense however. Being able to buy and use equipment is fun and really affect the outcome pretty well.
    Throm the First - Redguard Dragon Knight - Daggerfall Covenant
  • DFDelta
    DFDelta
    ✭✭
    Whats your level?

Despite you being turned 50 while in Cyrodiil, your actual level makes a huge difference. I lessens the gap a little, but the difference is still there.
    When I entered first at around level 14 I had around 1300 HP in Cyrodiil, now with level 35 I have almost 1600 HP outside of it. When I'm looking at my current HP inside Cyrodiil I have another 300 or so HP more.
    EU Megaserver
    Chany Therall - Templar VR1
    - Tank in PvE, support Mage in PvP
  • Gareske
    Gareske
    @DFDelta‌ currently i'm level 11, my friend is lvl 22
  • DFDelta
    DFDelta
    ✭✭
    That might just be it then.

The scaling gives you a small chance to actually kill somebody who is much higher, but your actual level outside of PvP still plays a huge role.

You said it yourself that your friend with a similar playstyle has a much higher chance of success.
    Get a few more levels and you'll find yourself much less outclassed by others.
    EU Megaserver
    Chany Therall - Templar VR1
    - Tank in PvE, support Mage in PvP
  • Gareske
    Gareske
    Thanks for your help, @DFDelta‌

That's stupid. If your not going to stand a formidable chance against someone at a higher level then what the derp is the point of PVP for lower levels? I can understand the teamwork and all but its just not fun if you know your going to die if someone SNEEZES in your general direction.
    Edited by ZOS_SilviaS on April 11, 2014 3:17AM
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    Gareske wrote: »

That's stupid. If your not going to stand a formidable chance against someone at a higher level then what the derp is the point of PVP for lower levels? I can understand the teamwork and all but its just not fun if you know your going to die if someone SNEEZES in your general direction.

The reasoning has more to do with experience than anything else. I also tried pvp when I was a lower level and got smashed. I was level 10 when I first tried pvp and since then I have tried many different builds and weapons, each time finding out what works and what doesn't. Hell, I didn't even start using my current build until I was level 40 and it's far superior in pvp compared to what I used when I was level 10 or 20. I could have achieved the same build at lower levels, even though I had less skillpoints available, but I just wasn't experienced enough to try it out.

Being a higher level will always give you a slight advantage simply because of slightly higher stats and more skill points, but the main reason you're losing is simply because of inexperience.
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gareske wrote: »

I think the point he and jmido were making, was that level scaling for PVP is NOT a total balancing component. It's leveling (as in making a level playing field) component, allowing people at relatively low levels a chance to enter PVP, see what it's like, last long enough to get a taste of how things work in PVP. It's not a total power balance.

as far as I know, the game doesn't scale for missing skill points you'll get in the next 40 levels, it doesn't scale your gear with all the different qualities and components you'll probably have access to as you play through the game, and so on and so forth - so, you'll almost certainly be far more effective at ACTUAL level 50, than at ACTUAL level 15 scaled up to 50.

but, in the MEANTIME, you can pop into the pvp zone, you *can* kill things when you find them in the right situations, you can see how besieging a keep works, you'll gain valuable experience being killed and killing and watching everyone else kill

it just won't completely make up for making your way through 50 levels of actual game play
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk