The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Spoileralert]The toughest decision in the game - The Mad God's Bargain

• Bronze
    Bronze
    Soul Shriven
    I saved Valaste without hesitation. <3 it matched my character, and I liked her too much anyways!
    Bronze Fox
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is my favorite quest in the game. If there were more quests with real tradeoffs and benefits, questing wouldn't be so painful. Every other quest in the game is pointless other than the minuscule xp gain.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two skill points.

Besides she's not dead, just living in madness. Maybe that's alright with her.

Did anyone ever think to ask her?

Rabble Rabble Feminism! Rabble Rabble Independent Woman!
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • nobleboivin
    nobleboivin
    ✭✭
    Didn't get there yet but I was going to side with Sheogorath regardless. Quests that involve him are always fun and he gives the best rewards regardless of game.

I think this is the only quest that involves Sheogorath but I'm also including his quests from the other Elder Scrolls games.
    Edited by nobleboivin on November 4, 2015 12:51PM
  • deathion
    deathion
    Soul Shriven
    Sheogorath is really Jyggalag one of the very few "good" Daedric princes. I tend to chose the best moral choice as well but in this case i felt Valaste did actually want to go regardless of the curse.

• LuckyWan
    LuckyWan
    Soul Shriven
    Saved at 41 lvl - got reward, after deconstruction got purple improvement
    qqs035bmpe4r.jpg
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    as a top notch mage , i felt she should have had some kind of knowledge to keep this from happening, or some premonition at least......so since she was kinda clueless, i cashed her in.
  • Asata
    Asata
    ✭✭✭
    If there was some other way to get those 2 skill points I'd definitely save Valaste but in terms of min-maxing it's kinda silly to save her just for a "thanks" and that be the end of it. From a roleplaying perspective I would have preferred to save her. But y'know, as a gamer... gotta go with the 2 skill points that I can't get anywhere else.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    2 skill points all day everyday.

But even that aside, crazy valaste is happy. Sane valaste is miserable.
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saved her, even back then I had more skill points than I knew what to do with. However, one of my alts finds Uncle Sheo funny, so she might humor him.

And to be honest, Vasaste did seem happy with her situation, no matter how batty she had become :D
    Edited by Saoirse_Siobhan on July 13, 2016 3:47PM
    PC/EU DC
  • Vangy
    Vangy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh,

I took the 2 skill points and kicked Valaste into uncle Sheo's portal myself. Had a good laugh about it later too. Green item for saving her? Pfft. Sorry no beta boy here. I choose UNLIMITED POWAHHHHH. Besides, she seemed happy enuf to go with uncle Sheo. No reason to make her all sad and droopy again. Let her chase butterflies in Sheo's place!
    Edited by Vangy on July 14, 2016 7:03AM
    (2)V16 Dk- stam dps/stam tank/mag dps
    (2)V16 Sorc- mag dps/stam dps
    (2)V16 nb- stam dps/mag dps
    (1)v16 temp- mag tank/mag dps
    CP: 610 and counting

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates! Viva la revolutionz
  • MrJKurayami
    Need more positive rewards for other missions, if they are gonna give negative rewards like skill points. If you play a "game" where the only rewards are from negatives (thieves guild content, dark brotherhood content) But there really isn't any positive optional things. I means save the world because you live in it. They either need to punish negativity harder, or reward the good with options also so that way balance is held. Otherwise it doesn't feel like a society at all and it really does feel like, "biggest *** gets the most stuff, the game". I didn't take the points, because I am not weak enough to need them.
    Edited by MrJKurayami on September 23, 2016 8:20PM
  • Victoria_Marquis
    Victoria_Marquis
    ✭✭✭
    Eccentric wrote: »
    To all those who felt they were "forced" to send her away, to gain the 2 skillpoints. I can tell you Sheogorath might not be such a bad guy, even though he is in fact a Daedric Prince.

Sheogorath's real name is Jyggalag and former Daedric Prince of Order. He used to be one of the most powerful Deadra Lords with great influence. Because of jealousy, the other Daedric princes decided to curse him to live as Sheogorath, the incarnation of Madness,

Even though he might seem hostile, he certainly do hold a grudge against the other Daedra princes. He act mad, because he is cursed, but I believe he is in fact trying to help in his own way. Velaste is hopefully in good, but not too mad hands. :wink:
    If Lucifer the God of love, light and knowledge offered us to trade our souls for the ability to play ESO forever, live a comfortable long life, with no worries and interruption from the mundane world, such as by way of hitting the lottery for multiple millions of dollars, we all know we would sell our souls.

Perhaps Sheogorath loves her, and she will find peace and happiness with him....
    After all only the creator God has caused so much war in Its name, Lucifer never ask for anyone to die in its name, Lucifer freed people from being sheeple by giving humanity knowledge and free will. If you believe in that sort of mythical fairy tales....

I hope we are invited to Sheograth's wedding.....
    For our mad friend, may you and Valaste find peace and love and happiness.
    Edited by Victoria_Marquis on January 16, 2017 2:03AM
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite quest in the game. I love the Faustian bargain you have to make. I wish there were more things like that, not only in this game, but in other games as well. Choices that really make you think.
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately there is no benefit to saving the girl... If I had known there would be no advance quest or benefit to saving her apart from a clear conscience I would have sent her packing. I was hoping that the good moral choice would benefit me in the long run with something other than a thank you but alas, no, the quest line ends and you end up feeling like a right royal dumb@ss for passing on the 2 skill points.

It's actually sad when so many think this way. What's the worth of 2 points when you can get hundreds elsewhere? I'd rather be poor and right than rich and wrong.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just came to double check, you get Eidetic Memory no matter what you choose right?

I have two mains for this reason, one always picks the moral choice and one is always a jerk.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • davidxbo
    davidxbo
    After I saved her she gave me 2 purple items - a staff and an enchantment. Depending on your current level that may not be worth the 2 skill points (i.e. if you are going to level up quickly making the items quickly redundant) but at least I didn't compromise my character by sacrificing a "friend" for power. She thanks you for your decision after she gets her mind back.
  • Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put role playing above character advancement. So I saved her. That and I hate the mad god worse than Shalidor does. He is an abomination of logic and the honest pursuit of power. I have more respect for Molag Bal. Which isn't saying much as I find his enjoyment of arena sports a revolting distraction.
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...but if an immoral choice leads to an obviously superior reward of skill points then I'd say that someone made a bit of an error here... unless there's some sicko dev out there who believes that being bad is "cool."
    Well of course it is and does.
    Evil always wins in the end, as long as it is never perceived as such by those who do "good".
    And even if it is recognized, only force enacted by the "good" will ever impact the evil.

Law of Nature bruh.

• SilverPaws
    SilverPaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one saved Valaste because never trust a Skooma Cat !
  • MagnusBlackmane
    MagnusBlackmane
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, this one choose Sheos option, not even considering the skill points. And it was not even that hard, Valaste was mad but happy... Who was this one to take it away? >:)
    "You're trying too hard... do it at 80%, never 100%. Relax." - My sensei.
    --==--==--==--
    Server: EU PC
    Dracart - AD Khajiit, Currently Stamina Nightblade
  • Appleblade
    Appleblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see calm and reasonable discussion of the moral issues surroundi- OMG YOU PEOPLE SENDING VALASTE AWAY ARE MONSTERS! Two skill points? HOW ABOUT 30 PIECES OF SILVER!?!?!!1!2!

Feh... (dismissive wave)
  • danne11man
    danne11man
    Soul Shriven
    Btw you only miss 1 skill point cos after u save her u talk to Shalidor and you complite his quest and get 1 skill point and lore book.
  • Ankaridan
    Ankaridan
    ✭✭✭
    Dude. You just resurrected a 4 year old thread. 2 years after it's last resurrection.

Let the past die, mate.
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha I am still around :D didnt know I posted in that thread.
  • Malacalypse
    Malacalypse
    Soul Shriven
    danne11man wrote: »
    Btw you only miss 1 skill point cos after u save her u talk to Shalidor and you complite his quest and get 1 skill point and lore book.

I saved her and Shalidor certainly did not give me a skill point. If you choose to save her you are down 2 skill points.
  • ZOS_FalcoYamaoka
    Greetings,
    We've closed this thread given its age and that some information may be out of date. If you wish to continue discussing this topic please create a new thread.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.