Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Are shops/merchants ever going to close for the night?

commandline
Hmm?... :)
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would support this for realism. FFXI had it in their game.
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is going too far; I don't like the idea of not being able to interact with Merchants at night. I suppose this is my expectation from playing other MMOs such as WoW and LOTRO. As a big PvE/Role-playing fan though I could see this being a great feature if there was a separate server with an emphasis on realism; for example adding food/drink as a necessity to be used like hardcore mode in Fallout 3.
    Edited by Gedalya on April 10, 2014 8:07PM
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • Xezzu
    Xezzu
    ✭✭✭
    As interesting as this would be, especially considering the contribution it added to the atmosphere in the single-player games, I'm not sure they'd add something like that in ESO. The reason i feel this way is, at the moment at least, they have two Megaservers that cater to thousands of people each, all from different timezones.

It'd kinda suck to only be able to play at a certain time of the day and that time just happens to be when all the vendors decide it's time to take a nap :(
    We must all aspire to better ourselves, to better our person and to better our quality; but no matter how much better we become, no single one of us will ever be better than all of us combined.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They mean in-game night, not real-time night.

While it would be great for emmurshun, the skips-quest-dialogue crowd will whine and whine and whine about it should it ever come to pass.
  • Judge_Mental_One
    This would suck. It has been in a few single player games, but in all of those games you had the option of waiting or sleeping till it was daylight and the store would open again. There is no "wait" option in an MMO so no way should they make it so you can't use the vendor for hours at a time.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMO's have done this before and the playerbase survived.
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already wanted to write a /feedback about this but figured ZOS is busy enough already, let's get the main issues out first.

What I thought is that most of the shops should close at ingame night, not real time so it could suit everyone's time zone. And I also thought that one shop should be open in a larger city in each zone 24/7, in the first zones it should be the starting city so new players have access to it too. You could meet the shopkeepers at the inns though until they go to sleep and talk to them although you couldn't buy or sell anything since they are not working but you would still be able to finish quests then, if they gave any, since it is in their interests too. I bet many people would gather in inns too and at the one open shop so it would be a nice community creating feature. They could intertwine it with the crime system. They want later on, possibly breaking in and so on.

Also, I thought of the idea of implementing days, after the weekends more people would gather at the inns (I mean NPCs this time but of course it could be true for players too) and events could be held on certain days, maybe even month and year system could work too. You could refer back certain events in real life later on as if they actually happened at those days in that year :D also, you could do some quests with days, like when you did the Dark Brotherhood quest in Skyrim and (no spoilers) you found the target's schedule and you could assassinate him anywhere using that. I guess it would work here too.

Although these are just some ideas that randomly came to my mind and probably not everyone will like it but I will write a suggestion about it later on when the launch issues quietened down :P
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • Chalybos
    Chalybos
    ✭✭✭
    I think the day/night cycle is a bit long for this. A lot of people have finite windows in which they can game. While it would add a dose of "realism" to the game, remember, this is a "fantasy" game, not a sim.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps once they put in the criminal/justice system. As long as there's some kind of vendor for repairs and unloading junk always available I don't see the harm. I have very little vendor interaction outside that myself (and picking up the racial crafting mats - those guys could be 24/7).
  • Twistedmind
    Twistedmind
    ✭✭
    I would support the idea, even the npc characters need rest sometimes and as @Shimond‌ mentioned that would bring element in the criminal / justice system.
    Egypt and Antarctica kills off more investigators each year than cancer does.
    Old Call of Cthulhu fact.
  • Dahlia_Bristow
    I would find this extremely frustrating. Definitely a vote of no on this idea from me.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would support the idea, even the npc characters need rest sometimes and as @Shimond‌ mentioned that would bring element in the criminal / justice system.

Part of my actual concern is how we're going to loot motifs once they put criminal stuff in, if they prevent us from robbing people blind while they're standing there :P
  • Navhkrin
    Navhkrin
    ✭✭✭
    MMO's have done this before and the playerbase survived.
    Unfortunately the number cannot go below zero.
    This wont be added but when i look into your logic i see that you are suggesting NPC interactions and world effects that chance depending on time which is probably the greatest suggestion i have seen so far.
    I also would like to see soma rare dangereus as hell scary mobs spawn at night
  • lehran
    lehran
    ✭✭✭
    Doing this was fine in the Single Player Elder Scrolls games because you could always press the "wait" button and wait a few hours for the shops to reopen. In ESO you can't time-skip like that so you'd be waiting for quite a while in real life for a shop to open up.

I could possibly see this being a thing if they introduce a roleplay server, but for the main megaserver I don't really see this being very beneficial.
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lehran wrote: »
    Doing this was fine in the Single Player Elder Scrolls games because you could always press the "wait" button and wait a few hours for the shops to reopen. In ESO you can't time-skip like that so you'd be waiting for quite a while in real life for a shop to open up.

I could possibly see this being a thing if they introduce a roleplay server, but for the main megaserver I don't really see this being very beneficial.

But what if we had one 24/7 shops in each zone/faction as I suggested? And/or a city in which the residents have a different inner clock so they are awake at night and asleep during the day.

And, as others said before, we could have special spawns at nights, maybe events like npcs trying to summon some undead or daedra at night in the wilderness or underground etc.

Edit: I'm not trying to convince anyone about my idea, it is only an idea after all, just sharing my thoughts :D
    Edited by Csub on April 10, 2014 9:32PM
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • thedemiseraphb14_ESO
    Make each starting city a 24/7 party hub. Every city after that has a day night cycle. Then you can ALWAYS fast travel back to the core city (for people that want that feature) and all the people that enjoy the day night systems can embrace not going back at night unless they really have no choice. Additionally you can make night specific quests, and monster spawns more prominent in later areas and cities with this setup.
  • thedemiseraphb14_ESO
    Also if it was the main city that is 24/7, night times in these cities would increase player count, and allow more access to trade etc
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as there some night owl merchants for me to visit as needed I could see doing this with some of the rest.
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • SDZald
    SDZald
    ✭✭✭
    Well I agree, kind of. Night in this game is near meaningless right now. I can see very well at night and nothing in the environment changes at all.

Not only should the outside markets close for the night but Taverns should thrive at night (you could sell your junk to them) but close during the morning hours. There should also be mobs that only show up at night.

Elder Scrolls single player games had these things in them and I never had a problem with them. I would just suggest a fairly quick day/night schedule. Like 2 hour days/twilight an1 hour nights.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a system where the smaller towns and villages went to bed at night, but the larger cities stayed up all night would cater to both sets of folks.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • commandline
    Some great ideas brought up.
    I think a system where the smaller towns and villages went to bed at night, but the larger cities stayed up all night would cater to both sets of folks.

• maholi
    maholi
    ✭✭✭
    Just FYI: As it is now we don't all see the same thing. Ask your friend if he/she thinks it's sunny or rainy, or day or night etc. We see things differently standing in the same place.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mate , let me put it this way.

I dont care for immersion at all.

So i would actually get quite pissed if the vendor near the craft station is not there for me to sell useless items i gathered.

Now , if you want to put the rest on the town to sleep (excluding quest givers) , im all for it , i dont need them for anything anyway. Less things would block my horse , which is actually a plus.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • commandline
    maholi wrote: »
    Just FYI: As it is now we don't all see the same thing. Ask your friend if he/she thinks it's sunny or rainy, or day or night etc. We see things differently standing in the same place.

Very true. Totally forgot that parallel worlds exist in ESO :)
    Less things would block my horse , which is actually a plus.

Damn your horse! I should have purchased the imperial edition. Im getting sick of running :)
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    As much as something like this would be kinda cool to see in theory, I think I would hate it in practice. It's true that I didn't mind it in the previous TES games, but if I felt I needed to sell something right away I could always just sleep or rest/wait for however many hours it would take for the shops to open. We can't really do that here so it ends up becoming a major inconvenience when both my bag and bank are full.

No, we don't all always see the same thing, but if we're in the same instance/phase of an area, we do. I don't want to play the relog game just to clear out some inventory space.

Edited to add:
    This would be less of a problem if there were shady dealers or pubs to sell things to, or to buy crafting items from. I also wouldn't mind seeing some mobs spawning that are unique to night/day. FFXIV had fish that could only be caught in unique environments (like night or while raining) and things like that are kind of neat. Just make sure none of it is stuff you -need- to do for main story progression.
    Edited by Lalai on April 11, 2014 2:15AM
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest solution to make this work for everyone would be if shops had more than one shopkeeper and they take different shifts. One goes to sleep (or the local watering hole) while the other one is at work.

That way, the cities will feel more alive and you can still shop at odd hours ...
    ;-)
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well let's be honest. We don't buy anything from the NPCs anyway. I would support the idea if at night you have 2-3 black market dealers spawning in exchange, where you can unload your trash.

Stables and banks should be 24/7.