Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How is PvP?

EricGraham1987_ESO
So is pvp just like stupid GW2 system where everyone is the same and gear doesn't matter? Even after lvl cap getting new gear meant jack *** for stats. Is that true in this game? Or does lvls and gear matter? And how do I engage in said pvp?
  • illogicbh
    illogicbh
    ✭✭✭
    Its big and fun. They need a smaller scale/mini game type option also to keep players interested in PvP.
    Savvy?

• EricGraham1987_ESO
    So no answers to my questions I asked in the post?
  • illogicbh
    illogicbh
    ✭✭✭
    It doesnt matter what gear you have. A level 10 outside of PvP could beat a level 50. Its a strategy pvp map and everything you do requires mass amounts of people. No individual strategy needed.
    Savvy?

• Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not as heavily gear focused as other games, this is true. It's more about skill selection, though your magica/stamina/health balance matter.
  • EricGraham1987_ESO
    So it's a replica of GW2 pvp combat?
  • Hawtsauce
    Hawtsauce
    ✭✭✭
    Youtube is > way ... go check it out
    Edited by Hawtsauce on April 10, 2014 7:49PM
    Ebonheart Pact
    Darkmoon - Mag NB
    Ermak - Mag Templar
    Pukk - Stam NB
    Hawtsauce - Mag DK
    Mystik - Mag Sorc
    Brutikus - Stam DK
  • EricGraham1987_ESO
    I have but it doesn't tell me about the levels or how it works. I don't mind scaling as SWTOR does it but gear and lvls still do matter they just make it so you can stand a chance. I HATE putting all the work into my character and being able to be beaten by someone 20 lvls lower than me. I should be able to laugh at them.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have but it doesn't tell me about the levels or how it works. I don't mind scaling as SWTOR does it but gear and lvls still do matter they just make it so you can stand a chance. I HATE putting all the work into my character and being able to be beaten by someone 20 lvls lower than me. I should be able to laugh at them.

Then you will not enjoy PVP in this game. Everyone scales to 50 in Cyrodiil.
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gear Level PvP is so extremely boring. Skill PvP > Gear/Level PvP every time.
  • Caduryn
    Caduryn
    ✭✭✭
    I know GW2 pvp, and even if it looks similiar, Teso RvR is 1000 times better.
  • Hawtsauce
    Hawtsauce
    ✭✭✭
    I have played GW2 pvp and I agree - ESO pvp is MUCH better
    Ebonheart Pact
    Darkmoon - Mag NB
    Ermak - Mag Templar
    Pukk - Stam NB
    Hawtsauce - Mag DK
    Mystik - Mag Sorc
    Brutikus - Stam DK
  • EricGraham1987_ESO
    So I am right though? If I put a noob at ESO behind a lvl 50 character with the best gear possible a very skilled lvl 20 can beat him?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I am right though? If I put a noob at ESO behind a lvl 50 character with the best gear possible a very skilled lvl 20 can beat him?

I would certainly hope so. Though I'd have to ask how the 'noob' got the very best gear possible in the first place.
    Edited by Shimond on April 10, 2014 8:05PM
  • EricGraham1987_ESO
    It's not the point I'm making. In ANY other game besides GW2 a lvl gap that big and the lower lvl wouldn't stand a chance just because hes lower. Even in SWTOR how they scale and if you're on the lower end you won't be able to beat someone just 9 lvls above you. Am I right? If so anyone want to buy my 1 day old ESO account?
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    So is pvp just like stupid GW2 system where everyone is the same and gear doesn't matter? Even after lvl cap getting new gear meant jack *** for stats. Is that true in this game? Or does lvls and gear matter? And how do I engage in said pvp?
    Levels do not matter.. everyone scales up to level 50 in PvP.

However abilities do matter...someone at "real" level 50 will have way more abilities to leverage. So they will still have an advantage. They just won't be able to ROFLstomp level 10 PCs like they would if levels were normal.
  • Caduryn
    Caduryn
    ✭✭✭
    A lvl 50 Player with good skills and Gear, cant be killed in 1v1 from a low, only if the lvl 50 dont pay attention.
  • Hawtsauce
    Hawtsauce
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible ? Sure
    Is it very likey ? No , as someone pointed out the higher level character will have more abilities to choose from and more importantly more passives.
    After someone reaches veteran level 1 + the gear gap really begins
    Ebonheart Pact
    Darkmoon - Mag NB
    Ermak - Mag Templar
    Pukk - Stam NB
    Hawtsauce - Mag DK
    Mystik - Mag Sorc
    Brutikus - Stam DK
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not the point I'm making. In ANY other game besides GW2 a lvl gap that big and the lower lvl wouldn't stand a chance just because hes lower. Even in SWTOR how they scale and if you're on the lower end you won't be able to beat someone just 9 lvls above you. Am I right? If so anyone want to buy my 1 day old ESO account?

Actually that's not true. When last I played a person with level 46 blue mods had better end stats in PVP than the best PVP geared characters. At least as far as their instanced PVP went (and that was the only PVP worth doing in that game).

But yea I think we get your point - you want to be able to 'pwn nubs' in PVP just cause you have a higher level. This is not that game.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, definitely. But the level 50 will not just have gear...he will have tons more skills and be able to do more. But the skills that the level 20 does have will be just as potent as the Level 50's in PvP.

• SirPuppingtonVonHat
    SirPuppingtonVonHat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pre-50, everyone has the same stats, and effectively have the same gear as well (this is a result of battle leveling). Where pre-50 players differentiate is 1) skill, 2) morphs and 3) passives. More morphs means you get more bang from your resources, and passives can give you a marginal edge in combat. Once you hit level 50 and VR ranks, the battle leveling is automatically off and you use your native character stats (possibly downgraded slightly in some cases). VR characters are significantly more powerful than battle leveled characters, so you should be cautious when engaging them.
    The Psijic Order
  • EricGraham1987_ESO
    Shimond wrote: »

Actually that's not true. When last I played a person with level 46 blue mods had better end stats in PVP than the best PVP geared characters. At least as far as their instanced PVP went (and that was the only PVP worth doing in that game).

But yea I think we get your point - you want to be able to 'pwn nubs' in PVP just cause you have a higher level. This is not that game.

Has nothing to do with pwning low lvls. It's stupid I invested days of my time just to potentially be beaten by some idiot. I think its dumb as *** if 5 lvl 20's can beat you. If you're 50 only thing that should stand a chance is a 45+. Period. It's like bench pressing your whole life pushing up 450 and some dude who has better form of doing it for 2 months comes and pushes up 460. Just plain stupid! So you're telling me that gear has nothing to do with gameplay at 50? Lets say 2 50's are duking it out and one has godly gear and the other has crappy gear. Equal skill or just about par. Who will win? Tie or will the one with better gear win? I don't want gear to be just for looks like GW2.
    Edited by EricGraham1987_ESO on April 10, 2014 8:34PM
  • EricGraham1987_ESO
    And another question. Lets say you just got a bomb 2H sword. Will you do more damage in PvP vs your old crappy sword you had? Like for example the Twig of the World Tree vs the Spinal Reaper.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's safe to say your questions have been answered.
    In 99% of the encounters in Cyrodiil, skills and tactics will always win out over "gear score". Which there isn't in this game, by the way. No such animal.

If that is not your cup of tea....then yes. This isn't the game for you to be PvP'ing in. However, there is a rich amount of content in the PvE side you can enjoy and experience if that suits you.

If not? Buhbye. No hard feelings.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • EricGraham1987_ESO
    You still didn't answer my last question. Does gear matter? Will a good geared played do significantly more damage than a crappy geared player? If that answer is YES then I will play the game. I liked Wildstar because even though gear does matter skill mattered most.
  • Hawtsauce
    Hawtsauce
    ✭✭✭
    Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker > all ... Im jus sayin

(sorry I couldnt resist)
    Ebonheart Pact
    Darkmoon - Mag NB
    Ermak - Mag Templar
    Pukk - Stam NB
    Hawtsauce - Mag DK
    Mystik - Mag Sorc
    Brutikus - Stam DK
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    You still didn't answer my last question. Does gear matter?
    Short answer is yes. Someone with A blue sword is going to more damage than someone with a white sword, all else being equal. Gear does matter.

It is not going to be as big a deal as it is in other games though. It is not the "I Win" button you might be used to in other games. A skilled level 10 Player will still be a threat. You will not be ROFLstomping newbies just because of your gear.

• EricGraham1987_ESO
    Okay so gear does matter unlike GW2 where a bomb sword did 2 more damage. So thats fine then. It IS like SWTOR then in BG's where all your stats are scaled but not your abilities/gear. So I can stand up to a true lvl 50 but chances are I won't beat him unless I am way more skilled. Is that correct?
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Okay so gear does matter unlike GW2 where a bomb sword did 2 more damage. So thats fine then. It IS like SWTOR then in BG's where all your stats are scaled but not your abilities/gear. So I can stand up to a true lvl 50 but chances are I won't beat him unless I am way more skilled. Is that correct?
    Yes.

I have not PvPed a lot so I do not know the specifics. But if you have crafted gear that has been upgraded you will still have an advantage. Someone is blue plate armor will have more protection than someone in white plate armor, all else being equal.

In this game gear in general matters a lot less than in other MMOs. Skills are a bigger deal. "Skills" does not just mean crafting, but also actual combat abilities like casting spells, and passive abilities that are "on" all the time. These are things scaling and gear will not give you.