Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Into the great known and unknown... or "Doh... I didn't know that".

keithlm
keithlm
Soul Shriven
Just a quick thread for people to post their "DOH" moments in the game. These are obvious things that many people already know... but many don't... so it might help someone else to point out these obvious things as we encounter them.

I'll start:

ABOUT PORTALS
===============
I discovered that if you use a portal to port to another portal it costs nothing. (i.e., Don't pay if you are standing a few feet from a portal. After you know this this and think about it... it becomes and obvious "DOH".)

If you port somewhere and it costs money... then try to immediately port again it will cost about 400 or so gold pieces... going down about a gold piece per second until it hits the normal cost. (Yes... I paid like 350 and thought "WHY". Didn't see the cost decrease until the next time I saw such high prices and looked at it for a moment. "DOH".)

ABOUT CRAFTING:
===============
If you put all of your alchemy/enchanting stuff in your bank... it shows up as available if you go to a crafting station. (You mean I don't have to waste time and take everything out of the bank into my inventory... craft things.. and then deposit everything again? "DOH".)

BTW: Not sure about other crafts yet... but I don't think that works for cooking.
Edited by keithlm on April 10, 2014 6:53PM
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    It works for everything, all craft stations see your bank materials (you can actually even see if a particular material is in the vault or your bag by the icon in the upper right on mouseover).
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fishing. I could not, for the life of me, figure out fishing for the longest time. Whether it was confusing "bait" and "lures" or my utter confusion as to why my worms weren't showing up on my bait wheel (plump worms are, in fact, an ingredient, not bait) or the twenty minutes I spent looking for someone selling a fishing pole... yeah.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    The "doh" moment I have is from the beta when it was sooooooo confusing on how to refine materials. I literally spent 4 hours trying to figure out crafting! So glad they made it a little simpler.

Now if they could just clarify the cryptic tooltips and add tool tips to things that they just expect you to know what it does and how it works (like the rest staff.... it doesnt state anywhere that it regens mana on heavy hits.)
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "doh" moment I have is from the beta when it was sooooooo confusing on how to refine materials. I literally spent 4 hours trying to figure out crafting! So glad they made it a little simpler.

Now if they could just clarify the cryptic tooltips and add tool tips to things that they just expect you to know what it does and how it works (like the rest staff.... it doesnt state anywhere that it regens mana on heavy hits.)

Oh god, crafting in beta. My first suggestion on the survey was to add a tutorial or something, because it was not intuitive at all. The next beta they did.

Restor staffs... regen magicka? I have a restor staff character, and I did not know this. DOH!

Another thing? I didn't realize the L+R mouse interrupt was a physical punch. I kept trying to interrupt with my sorcerer 10 feet from the enemy and didn't understand why it didn't work. So glad I got most of these newb moments out in beta, when we were all newbs. <_<
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • jadeappleb16_ESO
    I mostly sword and board. I played some beta. Even with that my new guildies and I had a good laugh when I realized on the second day of early access that I wasn't just interrupting but that I could LM and BASH. I thought bash was a skill I had to wait for. It was a big DOH and also a happy time as for some reason I love bashing things with a shield.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reset the interupt to B in controls, because the L+R button almost never worked. I've noticed it also does a teeny bit of damage when you successfully interrupt.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also reset the ultimate to F4 and the quickslot to F2 so I don't keep accidentally hitting them when trying to do other things.
  • Victoria150
    Not realising straight away that the restoration staff had a light and heavy attack. Granted I found out straight away once I used one but still...(hides face in shame)

Spending far too long trying to find out how to directly control summons, only to find out you can't (yet, I'm hoping)

Finding the cryptic tips on shard locations in 'achievements' I think it is.
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    Not thinking of doing what @Ysne58 cites above for remapping my keys. Thanks!
    The Sidekick Order