Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Poor Graphics

bopa06
bopa06
Soul Shriven
I am deeply disappointed in the quality of the graphics, so much so I regret buying ESO on my Mac. I have a custom built Mac to the highest specs. Even with this graphically I'm unimpressed. I am happy with the general aspects of the game but I just see me playing this in another month. I am using a logitech F300 controller and even with this there is no support. Beginning to wish I had waited for the PS4 version,are the graphics and frame rate improved on the PS4. Does anyone feel a little peeved with these issues
  • ShadowWolf613
    ShadowWolf613
    ✭✭✭
    why would graphics be improved on ps4? It would go the other way around.. :P Graphics look fine on my computer. Im playing on max setting and the game looks gorgeous.
  • bopa06
    bopa06
    Soul Shriven
    well lucky you
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at all. I've heard nothing but praise for the graphics and consider them better than any other MMO I've played.

Edit: I also have a friend who has a Mac and the graphics are swell on there as well. I think maybe your specs aren't what you think they are.
    Edited by Vikova on April 10, 2014 3:13PM
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    What are you talking about? The game is gorgeous. Sounds like you have settings on low or something.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the OP running the graphics on low settings? I find the graphics really good and better then single player games -- lol.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    bopa06 wrote: »
    I am deeply disappointed in the quality of the graphics, so much so I regret buying ESO on my Mac. I have a custom built Mac to the highest specs. Even with this graphically I'm unimpressed. I am happy with the general aspects of the game but I just see me playing this in another month. I am using a logitech F300 controller and even with this there is no support. Beginning to wish I had waited for the PS4 version,are the graphics and frame rate improved on the PS4. Does anyone feel a little peeved with these issues

No. These are samples of the graphics on my system. I am running on "High" settings:

1980346_845942198754743_1946413401_o.jpg

If that is not good enough for you, well, IMO your standards are too high. That looks better than Skyrim IMO. All shadows are real-time, there is tons of flora and fauna everywhere, all the textrures are high res, there are distortion effects for fire and water, as well as atmospheric effects simulating air moisture (diffuse sunlight).

• Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not only do I find the graphics fantastic, I find they run really well (surprisingly so, I was expecting to have to turn some things down besides draw distance).
  • vizionblind_ESO
    vizionblind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    use sweetFX
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    well lucky you
    PCs have better graphics than consoles, at least on the high end. Consoles are not going to be able to match PC resolutions, even if they can match the fx.

So far I have seen nothing on a console that cannot be duplicated or improved on a loaded PC. Probably even a Mac.

• SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    More samples here (not mine though):

eso-2014-04-02-00-26-55-93.jpg
    1863ESO_FireAtronachs04.jpg
    377159_theelderscrollsonline_screenshot_elsweyrgate_1_medium.jpg
    These shots are consistent with what I am seeing on my system, and I do not even have the settings maxed out. I'm not running on "ultra".

• Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running ESO on my desktop gaming rig and a Macbook Pro. Even on the Mac the graphics look good. Granted, on the desktop they look amazing!
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well lucky you

No, it is "lucky everyone." This seems to be a problem unique to you.
  • therasia2_ESO
    therasia2_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if you have gone into the settings and adjusted them? I know by default most of the settings are set to the minimum. You should try this and see if you get better results. On my computer the graphics are gorgeous, one of the best games I've seen graphically ever...in an online game. Give it a try:)
  • bopa06
    bopa06
    Soul Shriven
    i hear all your comments and some of the pictures are just gorgeous. I will check my settings.
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    @bopa06 - as you can see from the above screen shots, the graphics are quite good. Good that is if you have your settings set so. Check the graphics config you have now and raise them. I am surprised that by default they were not already at high settings since the install/launcher runs a detect on your system to determine the best ones for your setup.

There are some amazing nuances to the graphics in the game. For instance, if you head into the woods of any zone, and look at the dappled sunlight on the grass you will see that the effect is applied to individual grass blades and does change over time and as the grass blades shift in the wind. This to me is a bit extreme in detail, but you have to love the thought that went into it.
    The Sidekick Order
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You must be blind or playing on a bad pc. This game is the most detailed beautiful game Ive ever seen
  • bopa06
    bopa06
    Soul Shriven
    I am indeed a dummy. A simple change of the settings and Gamma and WOW I am bowled over. Sorry ESO you are indeed a thing of beauty
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    You must have a really bad graphics card. Mine is not top of the line and I have really impressive graphics in game.
  • cura666eb17_ESO
    use sweetFX
    This. Although it cant fix low resolution world textures, game actually looks good with it.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am indeed a dummy. A simple change of the settings and Gamma and WOW I am bowled over. Sorry ESO you are indeed a thing of beauty

Yay! I'm happy for you.
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you. I think its a beautiful game. Make sure you don't have subsampling on anything other than High or it looks like DOOMs fugly twin!
  • patrickmaurab14_ESO
    man I think this game is beautiful at max settings I just wish they would let me push draw distance out further
  • Marpat_Ninja
    Bopa06, glad you fixed the problem!

Unfortunately for me, while the game defaulted to high settings (not ultra), the lag in player-crowded areas was a bit annoying, so I had to turn everything down to medium. Though even at medium, the game looks really good. I'm not sure, but I think my lag issues might have more to do with the game than with my specs because I've seen several people in the chat complaining about random lags. If that is the case, I hope it gets fixed soonish. In the meantime, medium settings look good.
  • cubansyrusb16_ESO
    cubansyrusb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    My defaults where auto set to high (I raised them to maxed) when I first launched the game in beta.

Op the game is phenomenally well done in the graphics department check your settings, I can still log into the game and walk past trees with light coming through them and hear myself saying WOW.

NOTE : Lower the gamma 2 notches for a darker feel to the world for me it makes all the difference.
    Edited by cubansyrusb16_ESO on April 10, 2014 4:05PM
  • Teroh
    Teroh
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how long it took the genius bar to change the settings to high :)
    The Fallen Legion is Recruiting, Help us Retake Cryodiil! Message me for more information.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you got it sorted. You earn our respect for admitting it was your mistake, few on an internet forum would do that ;)!
    Edited by Tandor on April 10, 2014 4:10PM
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, if you want people to stop giving you advice after you've fixed the problem you may want to edit the original post to say you figured it out. People aren't seeing your comment that you fixed it. Just sayin', if you want to avoid constant notifications. =P
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    i hear all your comments and some of the pictures are just gorgeous. I will check my settings.
    If you are running on default settings, that explains it. This game will NOT optimize for your hardware like other games do (Mechwarrior Online is actually really good at it). You'll have to adjust it yourself to see what framerate compromise is good for you.

I am seeing 30fps+ on high settings in almost all areas. 6-core AMD CPU, Radeon 7770 video card, 8 gigs RAM, at 1080p resolution. My game looks like the images above.

• Librus_Warrior
    Librus_Warrior
    Soul Shriven
    Just Pointing this out bopa but do you honestly think a MMO's graphics can be perfect? I mean like said above you can still make it look awesome with tweeking some stuff however what gets me is that you don't understand the limitations of the graphics a MMO can have. Okay let's just imagine ESO had Skyrim graphics and you were in Cyrodiil in a battle of about 100 players, do you honestly think Skyrim level graphics could handle that? It'd be choppy, laggy, and most likely crash. No MMO has perfect graphics, so don't have such high expectations. Bethesda and Zenimax definitely have the potential to make it have Skyrim Graphics but even they had to dial it down because its a MMO. B)
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will let you know that my old, off the shelf iMac 27 inch screen from 6 years ago provides (in my opinion) better graphics than the PS4

I am playing PS4 because of the convenience of being a couch potato at the same time as gaming ... I purchased the Mac version of ESO as soon as I knew Zenimax was offering a PC -> console transfer

I played PC (Mac OS) ESO until just before the Justice System patch and let it lie fallow until the PS4 transfer

Not sure what you expect from a massive MMORPG that has to stream data from a server in order to create the images you are seeing.

Must admit though, the graphics on PS4 Witcher 3 are simply gorgeous.
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend