Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What role would you call this a CC or crowd control?

Resipsa131
Resipsa131
✭✭✭
I've never played a MMO, I wanted to get this game because I love TES so its definitely a new experience. I've been leveling at a slow pace and only leveling things I'm going to use like going full 7/0/0/ with light armor. My Slots are Dark Mage with the Dark magic Ultimate & Soul Magic and that's it although I may add a spell from the Mage's guild line to fill out my slots. I plan on running a stun/root/knockdown character that basically chains stuns. When people ask what kind of role I play what do I tell them other than complete noob? Do I say CC, will they know what that is? Like I've said I've never played a MMO so I have no idea about what group expectations are going to be.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    In PnP Crowd Control, or the Controller is by far the most powerful role.

Other games like DCUO and CoH, had controller roles.

This game does not have a specific role. Namely that most bosses are completely immune to knockbacks, roots, holds, disorientates, etc.
  • Resipsa131
    Resipsa131
    ✭✭✭
    So putting points into the destruction staff would be a good idea or another sorcery line?
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe you should play how you want. Basically the game is worried about 3 primary roles. Damage, Tanking and Healing. So if you aren't tanking, you are probably Damage.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, "cc" is a pretty well known term, at least among MMO veterans. Other newer players may not understand, so spelling it out as "crowd control" would also work.

Two notes, though:

First, if you put all your points into just one stat, (aka, magicka), you are going to hit the soft cap really quickly. What that means is that, after a certain amount of points, every point you put into it will do less and less. You may want to spread those out a bit... drop a point in health now and then.

Second, note that not all mobs are vulnerable to CC. Winged monsters can't be rooted, for example, and most bosses shrug off ALL attempts to CC them. You might need a backup combat technique. Might I suggest restoration staff? It has good synergy with CC-type spells... I know because my healer uses CC as a secondary technique. ;)
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)