Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Stealth

gunsofdeschain
gunsofdeschain
✭✭✭
Hey guys,

I was wondering if Stealth has any place in PvE combat, besides the opening shot? For instance, is there any way the stealth mechanics tie into combat once you have that first fully charged shot off? Is there any way you can stay hidden after the first shot?

Perhaps it's more useful in PvP, but from a purely PvE leveling standpoint, is it a waste of skill points to try and enhance stealth? I'm playing as a Nightblade Woodelf archer / 2h.

Also, is there a way to show some sort of icon over vendors, like a little coin icon or something similar? I am unable to tell if any of the NPC's in small and fringe towns and camps are actually merchants of some sort, unless I talk to each and everyone of them. I find myself running over to one of the capital cities to offload junk and mats way too often.

Thanks all.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once you engage in combat, you are no longer sneaking. Even after you make your kill, there is a time period between 30-60 seconds where you are unable to sneak.

Nightblades can go stealth for 2.5 seconds or so... but everyone else just has the opening shot.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the first bit, yes it can get an aggro dump.

For the second, the vendors will still have an indicator on the map that a vendor is in the area - it doesn't pinpoint it exactly, but it can rule out having to talk to everybody.
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like in groups if you are far enough behind a boss when you are fighting them you can go in to sneak as you are pulling your bow to full charge and get the bonus damage. I'm not sure if you are supposed to be able to or not. If you are too close to the boss you will still be detected. If you are close to full range you can drop in to sneak. You can actually even start to pull your bow back and drop in to sneak while the bos is going in to full charge.
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course for this to work you have to be in a group that is holding the bosses agro.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »
    Once you engage in combat, you are no longer sneaking. Even after you make your kill, there is a time period between 30-60 seconds where you are unable to sneak.

Nightblades can go stealth for 2.5 seconds or so... but everyone else just has the opening shot.

What is this about not being able to sneak post-kill? As soon as I'm done slitting throats, I go right back into the shadows and slit some more. Never seen any "cooldown" period on sneaking.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everytime I make a kill in Cyrodiil, I have wait a while because I am (Detected) even though there is no one around.

PvE is slightly different.
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It lets me go back in to sneak during combat I have never seen a cooldown either.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NIghtblades do have the Shadow line, which does have a 2.5-second invisibility spell. Unfortunately, I've found that 2.5 seconds is not generally long enough to be much use in combat, despite all the neat tricks that skill line gives you to do while stealthed. I suppose someone could make a character based around that ability, but I find it more practical to sneak attack in and then just Assassinate and Flurry them until they lay down and die.

If you mouse over the NPCs, it will say "merchant" or something similar under their names. You won't see it on the map, but it's a good way of finding those handy traveling merchants that wander the middle of nowhere so you can offload your junk. :)
    Edited by BlackSparrow on April 10, 2014 1:29PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    kitsinni wrote: »
    It lets me go back in to sneak during combat I have never seen a cooldown either.

In Cryodiil?

• kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kitsinni wrote: »

In Cryodiil?

I have not tried it in Cryodiil specifically. I was speaking in more of PvE terms since the OP asked about the place of stealth in PvE.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I was speaking with PvP in Cyrodiil with the whole not being able to sneak after killing your enemy. Sorry I was not clear.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well that opening shot can't be over looked.

Also for PvE, you can just sneak right past a lot of mobs.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Nightblade can get multiple openings from stealth/invis and crit about every time. I one-shot normal mobs from behind with veiled strike from stealth. If I immediately use Shadow Cloak (morphed for 100% crit) I can open on the second mob before it turns around. One or two veiled strikes (which keeps it stunned) and maybe mix in some stamina skills and it is dead. Only the third mob has time to react. I prefer dual wield over 2 hand myself.

It seems to matter for damage if you stay behind the mob. Build up your crit with weapons and passives and crits happen a lot.

If you get all the stealth bonuses from one of the two races, and then the medium armor bonuses, it is very nice in PVE. Shadow Cloak time can also be extended to almost 3 seconds with passives.

At level 43 I can stealth right through packs of mobs in dungeons, I just get close, shy of discovery, and Shadow Cloak through them. This is handy when there are other players in the dungeon and you want to get away from them.
    It is also nice for solo gathering skyshards in the public dungeons that have the 6+ mob packs.

Not sure how good it will be in the VR zones, but I find stealth on the Nightblade indispensable for questing/PVE.

Edited by Yankee on April 11, 2014 1:08AM
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What is this about not being able to sneak post-kill? As soon as I'm done slitting throats, I go right back into the shadows and slit some more. Never seen any "cooldown" period on sneaking.

I'm fairly certain this is the whole point of sneaking.
  • gunsofdeschain
    gunsofdeschain
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for all the replies guys. I can now make a decision tonight about how I want to level my character.

Regards
    K