Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Creating a viable stealth character

MaxBat
MaxBat
✭✭✭
I'm going to roll a stealth character for an RP group tonight and I'm looking for suggestions. I've played a couple of nightblade starts with dual-wielding as weapon choice, but this time I thought I'd try archery as low level primary.

For race, I'm considering (for obvious reasons): Bosmer and Khajiit for the racials. Leaning towards Khajiit because they get the stealth damage at a lower level (level 10 as opposed to 25). I'm also considering a dark elf for a creatively different approach.

I have no idea what the best archery skills are to focus on, so suggestions are welcome.

Also, what makes a good second weapon choice. Archery + dual-wielding I tried before (I really like this idea) but I couldn't get it to work well.

I'm also concerned that archery isn't a viable choice (for damage) early game.

Thanks in advance for your help.
"Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Archery is really good early game, as you can sneak attack with it as you can any other weapon. You can also morph the poison shot into a spell interrupt.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    You'll also want to use Shadow Cloak morphed into Dark Cloak. That's an 'oh crud' getaway.

Acid Spray / Draining Shot -> Shadow Cloak -> RUN.
    Edited by Sihnfahl on April 9, 2014 11:33PM
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Do you get sneak damage independent of skill perks? Or do they simply enhance it?

• Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone can sneak attack, you can just increase the damage via those two races.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    Everyone can sneak attack, you can just increase the damage via those two races.

Thanks, that's good to know. So I can get some multiplier without having to pick the Bosmer/Khajiit build.

Nice, because I'm kind of leaning towards a dark elf dual-wielding archer. :)

• Danarchist
    Danarchist
    ✭✭
    Heh I sneak attack with my templar constantly. Puncturing strikes out of stealth is pretty much a one shot
  • Tidelurker
    Tidelurker
    Soul Shriven
    I can't speak from much experience (my NB is level 7 and uses bow/dual wield), but my suggestion is to look at two-handed and one-hand + shield. The former seems to have nice damage, while the latter contains nice survival and utility that could fit a swashbuckling rogue motif.

http://esocalc.com/
    Disclaimer: I'm still learning just about everything for this game, at a leisurely pace... but I'll try to help with what knowledge I have!