Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Temporarily Ban Gold Sellers in Zone Chat (and abusive players)

Kilimanjaro
I know there is a way to ignore and to report players. The problem with ignore is that its local and that the gold sellers are still in chat for every one else. The reporting needs human resources from Zenimax, if it is banning accounts that are still ok, as we have already seen on the forums.

One idea is to give every player a set amount of times they report a player for communication abuse. If a player gets reported a certain amount of times then he/she can not use zone chat for 20 hours of game time. If a player successfully gets a player ban he gets additional reports.

This is good because:
- if a gold seller cant advertise he cant sell and therefore cant make money. This should make the community happy.
- if players are been abusive in zone chat they get banned but they can still play as zone chat is not essential but is quite nice.

This can be purely automated and gives power directly to the community to decide what they want in zone chat.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a problem with the "abusive" part. Many times I'll make a joke post just to try and lighten the mood.
    Many other times I'll actually post an answer to a question, rather than being snarky and humorous.
    Why should I run the risk of being banned if I want to make a jest post and someone has no sense of humor?
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Laerian
    Laerian
    ✭✭✭
    And how you'd prevent that an entire guild reports someone just because he/she is not liked or has a character in the enemy side.

Your idea leads to abuse.
    Edited by Laerian on April 9, 2014 10:49PM
  • Kilimanjaro
    I have a problem with the "abusive" part. Many times I'll make a joke post just to try and lighten the mood.
    Many other times I'll actually post an answer to a question, rather than being snarky and humorous.
    Why should I run the risk of being banned if I want to make a jest post and someone has no sense of humor?

I am talking about large number of reports here. Like 500+. You wont get banned for just one or two comments. You will get banned for a number of comments in relatively quick succession (reports against you will have a cooldown of sorts).

If the thresholds are set right there should be few problems.
    Laerian wrote: »
    And how you'd prevent that an entire guild reports someone just because he/she is not liked or has a character in the enemy side.

The same player should not be able to report you twice so one guild will prob not be big enough. You will only be able to report ppl in your own faction.

:smiley:
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no. It can and will be abused. This is the nature of MMO's and people in general.
    No. A thousand times, no. This is basically what Craptic games has done in their three titles which is silencing people for 24 hours just by using the ignore function.
    That just isn't a good thing, no matter how you try to spin it.

No. It's fine just the way it is. Leave such decisions to Zenimax, not players, nor automation.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Kilimanjaro
    Just sounds like some players are getting banned from game for no reason an thought it would be better just to get banned from zone chat and deal with that than trying to get your account re-enabled. I have not played a game with this function before (maybe for good reason). Thanks for your input.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a terrible idea. Any guild could tempban anyone they didn't like by having members vote on it.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree thats a horrible idea.
  • Frosthawk
    Frosthawk
    ✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    This is a terrible idea. Any guild could tempban anyone they didn't like by having members vote on it.

Let's hope ZOS don't never add such option, it wouldn't be first time when group of players unite if given change to abuse system to get rid of person(s) just for lulz/hate.
    EU - Adlmeri Dominion
    Sanquin's tester
  • Lamprey
    Lamprey
    I can't seem to find a new player question in you post. So, grow up, worry what you do and move on.
  • gstewart0413b14_ESO
    Sounds good until you see it in practice. Then all the "abuses" of the system occur (side note, in the game I saw a system like this in, I'm sure that some of the players that were screaming "unfair" were the abusers that it was meant to target.

The only surefire system to get rid of gold sellers is to not allow user buying/selling and that's not likely to happen.
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭
    Laerian wrote: »

Agree. Most "there ought to be a law" type solutions always end up with unintended consequences, and on top of that, generally DON'T fix the problem they were supposedly going to fix in the first place.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too easy to abuse as other said. They added this option in SWTOR and forums went crazy because a lot of people got suspended after being reported for no reason or just because someone got a** kicked in PVP few times. In game like ESO where PVP is even more important it will be far worse. How hard it is to get 100 players to report 1, 5 or 10 others?

Way better solution will be having GM onb duty in game, which can react to any chat abuse and swing a banhammer instantly.
    Edited by Mortuum on April 10, 2014 5:49PM
  • NetViperX
    NetViperX
    ✭✭✭✭
    Players should never have the power to penalize others for any reason. This can and will lead to griefing. For every legit report, there would be dozens of griefing reports coming in and people getting banned for no good reason.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if any of you ever played Fallen Earth, but they had old, trusted players with GM power to mute others on chat. While im not suggesting giving any player power like that, as it also can be abused, FE also had a ''GM on duty'' which was in game all time, helping with bugs and keeping eye on chat channels. And it was 1 server also, so just 1 person to do it. Worked really great, during 6 or 8 months in FE i have never seen single f*** or racist joke without instant answer(mostly chat ban for 1-3 days or temporary ban)