Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Nightblade class skills and Magelight

Chyrsamere
Anyone know what Nightblade skills are affected by Magelight? I've been reading that "melee" class skills such as Assassin's blade are not affected by it. But what about skills like Lotus Fan or Path of Darkness?
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some NB skills are melee even though they use magicka. Melee crit would affect them not spell crit.
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭
    The spells that give you lightsaber hands (veiled strike, assassin's blade, teleport strike and the assassination ult) use physical crit and are mitigated by armour.
  • Rytfield
    Rytfield
    ✭✭✭
    but yet the do magic damage... so are they affected by magicka or stamina? (to increase damage).
  • Rhano
    Rhano
    All skills that cost magicka are affected by magicka. Spell/Weapon damage/crit are a different story.
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭
    All skills scale with the resource that they use.
  • Anoteros
    Anoteros
    ✭✭✭✭
    jesus how hard is it to get a straight forward answer to this?
    Does the crit from magelight affect the NB abilities which use magicka, yes or no?!
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jesus how hard is it for you to read telorans comment and realize some nb skills use physical crit and some use spell.
    Edited by Erock25 on April 14, 2014 2:45PM
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Anoteros
    Anoteros
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    Jesus how hard is it for you to read telorans comment and realize some nb skills use physical crit and some use spell.
    I'm not Jesus.

• jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This is an interesting question. I have a 17 NB, Light Armor, Destro Staff, Siphoning and soon Shadow. Playing a warlock-ish (think EQ2) AOE & health stealing caster.
    Trying to get the skill in Mage's Guild called Entropy, and for the time being I'm using Morphed Mage Light for 17% Crit. Will this effect the Damage of the Strife ability, or any other DoT skills in the Siphon tree?
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭
    Let me clarify. All melee nightblade spells will use melee (AKA physical) crit and hence will NOT benefit from Magelight. The rest will.
  • dw0011nrb19_ESO
    Teloran wrote: »
    Let me clarify. All melee nightblade spells will use melee (AKA physical) crit and hence will NOT benefit from Magelight. The rest will.

Of course Magelight applies to all Nightblade skills. Such as it applies to all other classes skills. Magelight does not apply to weapon skills. All Class skills are considered to be spells.

Simply equip jewelry with the trait 'reduce spell cost' and see how your "melee" assassination skills get a cost reduction. So those skills are in this game considered to be "melee spells" and yes, Magelight Does apply to them.
    @Hrotha - EU
  • Windforcex

Of course Magelight applies to all Nightblade skills. Such as it applies to all other classes skills. Magelight does not apply to weapon skills. All Class skills are considered to be spells.

Simply equip jewelry with the trait 'reduce spell cost' and see how your "melee" assassination skills get a cost reduction. So those skills are in this game considered to be "melee spells" and yes, Magelight Does apply to them.

This is wrong. If u dont believe me, go test it. use teleporting strike and test it yourself.
  • GreasedLizard
    GreasedLizard
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much. Siphon Line + Mage Guild will benefit from Mage Light, not much else. (would hope Destro/Resto staff too)

Its made me rethink my 2 Light /5 Medium build, as 95% of my DPS comes from NB Melee skills + Wep Skills. Although I was leveling staves/Mage guild skills for quite some time and it made sense :)
  • feniks31_ESO
    feniks31_ESO
    ✭✭

this one is so wrong. Veiled strike for example will not use spell crit while only use weapon crit. It also scales from maxmagic and spelldmg. But uses WEAPON CRIT, so wear medium armor if you use it.
  • Eam
    Eam
    ✭✭
    Easy to remember:
    every class skill that is ranged = Spell Crit
    every class skill that is melee = Weapon Crit

Magelight affects only the ranged class abilties such as Cripple, strife or Sap essence.
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the only spell outside Siphoning line that could potentially benefit from Magelight is Path of Darkness. Everything else uses weapon crit..

That's why Magelight SUCKS for NB.. unless you go some shadow mage build with destro staff and such.
  • kelebra
    kelebra
    ✭✭
    Most of the siphoning abilities are affected. Cripple agony Idk about the ultimate I'm sure dks and Templars deal with this also

Edit you said outside siphoning, Idk
    Edited by kelebra on April 30, 2014 11:09PM
  • Chyrsamere
    I've gotten my Nightblade to 28. Been using Lotus Fan, Path of Darkness and Wall of Elements as my aoe cycle. Use a sneak Lotus Fan as a starting attack, have Mage Light running at the same time. Haven't run into any problems so far. When In doubt pop shadowy disguise and run away or start with Lotus Fan again.