Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Overcharged Magicka?

MissAnna
MissAnna
Until level 15 I only placed points in Magicka. (I wasn't dying often so I thought I didn't need to distribute health points.) At this stage I noticed my Magicka stat was 'overcharged'.

For level 16, 17, 18, 19 I've been placing points in health. My Magicka stat is still 'overcharged'.

So I was wondering, how does this overcharge effect me? And what will happen if I keep distributing points in health? Will Magicka eventually become non-overcharged?

Thank you for any information. :)
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the point of diminishing returns for a stat. As you level, the cap will be increased.
  • Almay
    Almay
    Are you wearing armor with extra magicka? I put my points into only magicka until level 29 and I haven't been overcharged but a few times bc of the enchantments I was wearing.
    Edited by Almay on April 9, 2014 1:22PM
  • MissAnna
    MissAnna
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    It is the point of diminishing returns for a stat. As you level, the cap will be increased.

I've read this on the forums but don't quite understand the concept. Could you explain it in a different way, or use an example? And can I lift the cap if I distribute my points evenly into health?

Edited by MissAnna on April 9, 2014 1:18PM
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissAnna wrote: »

I've read this on the forums but don't quite understand the concept. Could you explain it in a different way, or use an example? And can I lift the cap if I distribute my points evenly into health?

Each attribute has "cap" for your current level where the benefit received from that stat is diminished after you pass the cap. So say if your cap was theoretically 10, each point after 10 would give your character less benefit than previous points. So if you think of each point of your magicka as "producing" a certain amount of magicka regeneration and certain amount of increase to your base magicka pool, going past the cap and becoming overcharged means the "production" of those stats will be less for each point you get past the overcharged point. You are getting less for your stat, hence "diminishing returns."

This is referred to as a "soft cap" because the game still lets you increase the attribute past the cap, but just gives you "diminished returns" for doing so. A "hard cap" is when a game literally gives you nothing in return for going past it. ESO refers to the soft cap in-game as the stat being "overcharged." This is them being nice and letting you know that you hit the soft cap. Many other games don't tell you.

The cap is based on your level. So if you just leave your magicka where it is and continue to level, you will eventually get below the soft cap.

Many people are running into soft cap issues (the worst is with heavy armor) and we are expecting/hoping they will rebalance their caps.
    Edited by Vikova on April 9, 2014 1:28PM
  • MissAnna
    MissAnna
    Almay wrote: »
    Are you wearing armor with extra magicka? I only put points into only magicka until level 29 and I haven't been overcharged but a few times bc of the enchantments I was wearing.

Oh interesting. I have a ring, a robe and a necklace which give me magicka points.

.. And when I unequip them, I am not overcharged. Hm.

So when I only equip my robe and ring, I am not overcharged. How will this effect me vs. being overcharged? Could you use an example to explain the phenomenon?
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of messing with your characters permanent attributes, you should just change around your armor stats. Find out at what point your cap hits, then put health enchantments on the rest of your armor, or magika recovery if you can.
  • Cepeza
    Cepeza
    ✭✭✭
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't sweat overcharge that much, it only really matters if it's a case of putting points elsewhere you would also make use of (if you're not having health issues, putting points into health isn't going to help you - you can still get some use out of magica increases, just not AS much as below overcharge). Although if you are doing left click attacks at all or use any weapon skills, you might consider putting some into stamina, as it increases the damage output there.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So when I only equip my robe and ring, I am not overcharged. How will this effect me vs. being overcharged? Could you use an example to explain the phenomenon?

Okay, let's do it with an old-school word problem.

Let's assume you own a small orchard. You have ten employees that each produce a bushel of apples. If you hire an eleventh employee, she only produces half a bushel of apples because your orchard is too small to fully utilize eleven employees. Each employee after the tenth can't find enough trees left over to pick a full bushel.

The ten employee capacity is like being overcharged in-game. Each employee (point of magicka) past ten does not give you the full benefit of the points before capacity.

What is happening with your gear is that equipping your + Magicka gear is like hiring a bunch of new employees, and it is putting you over capacity. When the game tells you that a stat is "overcharged," it is simply telling you that you are no longer getting the full benefit of the points in that stat that are over the upper limit for your level.

As you level your character, the overcharged limit will increase. Because of this, you can just continue on as normal and start putting attribute points into health or stamina - you don't need to respec your character. Save that for when you hit level 50.
    Edited by Vikova on April 9, 2014 1:44PM
  • Cepeza
    Cepeza
    ✭✭✭
    Use the addon I posted previously in this thread to understand and avoid overcharging!
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Overcharged doesn't hurt it is just a warning that things that boost that stat like equipment, food and the like won't give you full benefit. IE a +10 item might only give you +5 or even less at you push it higher and higher.

That is all it means. If you want to keep shoving more and more into the stat with gear and equipment go for it but be aware that it won't do as much for you as it could have.

Basically consider diversifying your stat boosting gear. That is all.
  • MissAnna
    MissAnna
    (Snip)

Hah, thank you for this clever explanation. :)

One last question: if I was overcharged on Magicka, and I placed a Magicka point into my character, did I cause any permanent damage?

So for example: if I was overcharged in Magcika, and I placed a point in Magicka, did I permanently lose points towards increasing my Magicka regeneration?

I hope this makes sense. (If I'm understanding overcharging correctly then I shouldn't be doing permanent damage. If I remove the overcharge, the points are calculated normally, right?)

Thank you for your replies. :)
  • ManiacMcLaughton
    No, you didn't "Loose" anything. The points were still applied but at the moment, those points are not doing as much work as they normally would. Again, the higher levels you go, the less and less problem you will have with this unless you are putting everything into one stat. I have gotten a character almost 100 points past the overcharge point at level 10 by using food, and nothing but mana enchants. It was a bit silly, but it was more an experiment.

You don't "suffer" for overcharge, its just not perfectly optimal. If you don't care about "every stat point being perfectly in place like some movie stars hair-do", then put your points where you want.
  • Cry_Wolfe
    Cry_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    (Snip)

Hah, thank you for this clever explanation. :)

One last question: if I was overcharged on Magicka, and I placed a Magicka point into my character, did I cause any permanent damage?

So for example: if I was overcharged in Magcika, and I placed a point in Magicka, did I permanently lose points towards increasing my Magicka regeneration?

I hope this makes sense. (If I'm understanding overcharging correctly then I shouldn't be doing permanent damage. If I remove the overcharge, the points are calculated normally, right?)

Thank you for your replies. :)

as your apple orchard grows(your character gains levels) your eleventh worker will start to operate at the proper rate.

you might consider putting points into Stamina or Health. You can respec later if it pleases you.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Snip)

No that wouldn't cause anything permanent.

The soft caps are raised when you increase your character's level. So you should get the full effect of your attribute point after you level.

The only time I could think putting an attribute point into an over-charged stat would have permanent consequences is if your character had no more room to grow. And even then you could probably change around your gear/enchants to compensate.