Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How do I level or at least make the game less tedious?

• Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't look for quest´s at all, I just adventure and do stuff on the way. You can disable the quest tracker and then you can just walk into the wild, nobody is stopping you from that.

I am level 10, ya its slow and takes a while but every time I play something new is found and I like it.

TESO is gladly not a "level up to be done" game like Warcraft, at TESO you level by exploring, finding hidden places, books etc.
    Your achievement list gives you a slight glimpse of what the game has to offer, but don't play with your achievement tab open, play and be surprised what you find.
  • Bweefk
    Bweefk
    ✭✭
    Actually, if you can find a good spot grinding is way faster than questing.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The story behind the quests is usually good if you care about Elder Scrolls lore and actually pay attention to what the characters are saying.

The tasks themselves often aren't fun. There's a lot of running up to things and pressing "E."

But there are some good puzzles out there and you'll find those eventually. The starting areas are lacking in that regard.

Like others have said though, you'll enjoy the game more if you stop thinking about leveling as your goal and just enjoy the ride.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Aria
    Aria
    ✭✭✭
    OP If you are worried about leveling think your missing the point of the game, if you were really enjoying the game "story" you would not even notice the rate at which you were or were not leveling.
    Silver Dragon Legion
    "The adult, casual no drama guild you've been waiting for!"
  • byghostlightrwb17_ESO
    I find this odd because I am actively trying not to level. I am 16 and still got a 1/3 of Glenumbra to go. Im literally trying not to kill things because I am out leveling this game by questing alone.

Things I find give too much XP, therefore might help you. Solo dungeons, cracking chests open (seriously those things are XP bombs).
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    I find this odd because I am actively trying not to level. I am 16 and still got a 1/3 of Glenumbra to go. Im literally trying not to kill things because I am out leveling this game by questing alone.

Things I find give too much XP, therefore might help you. Solo dungeons, cracking chests open (seriously those things are XP bombs).

I have stopped chasing down every side quest myself for this reason. I decided it would give me more replay time with other toons.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • cubansyrusb16_ESO
    cubansyrusb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I have reached Veteran rank 2 (played since 5 days early access) just by exploring as my priorty, don't see a quest marker and pick it up.

Run past the marker to that dungeon behind it, clear it come out then pick up the quest. Clear that quest, notice the Dwemer ruin behind it, enter it and pick up that quest, clear it and exit.

Mine those nodes down the road, spot the camp on the shore line, explore it and return to the nodes. Oh look a quest there, pick it up and clear it, return to town and craft your ore .....

breaking it down while not going out of your way to leave that area to chase that one quest over the other side of the map. This is the best way to play TES, that quest can wait for you to get to that bit of the map.

• MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would give you tips on how to avoid tedium in this game, but it's plain from your post that you and I find very different things enjoyable. so it's probably moot.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Rastaban
    Rastaban
    ✭✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »
    @Rastaban‌ you can't level stealth but you can improve it with passives. A lot of the other things you mention are supposed to be added in the next patches (A Crime and Punishment system with player bounties for example). Or you can use /feedback in game to ask for them

I am looking forward to features being added to the game.
    "Playing solo, in my experience, makes me want to sign out." Then sign out. Nothing shameful in admitting that this MMO is not for you. What would you expect from us, other players who enjoy it: to convince you? Surely we can't convince you to enjoy it if you can't. ESO is made especially for those who enjoy exploring and story-driven questing. If anyone is bored with this easily, then it's not their game.

I don't expect anyone to convince me. I've provided feedback about what I do and don't like, so that ZOS has the benefit of hearing my voice on issues. As a long term beta tester, that was my job. And it's finished now, for the most part, I suppose since I don't have the levels in PTS to try Craglorn.

It may be just that I don't particularly like MMOs. But I did shell out $80 for this game and $80 for my friend to own this game. I've also committed to a 3 month sub, which I'm sure I could forfeit but still... I'm not about to stuff it all down, not complain and just walk away believing this MMO just isn't for me. There are many things to be added. ZOS may just consider our feedback. I am likely going to hold out hope for a while. So, in other words, I'm still providing feedback because I paid a lot for the game and I want to get something out of it. I have a right to give that feedback without being told the game isn't for me.

I do love stories but the story quality isn't really to my liking. I want deeper, more well-thought out stories and it seems like the current stories were quickly created to fill in a void, not because story writers love the art and take pride in it. I could be wrong. In that case, my apologies to the quest story writers. It would be difficult to get such harsh feedback if you put your heart into it.

As for exploration, it's an amazing world. I am so impressed with it but there needs to be more things to do in the game. Dueling, player housing, thieving, assassinations, thieves and assassin's guilds, etc. I think it's a little rude to tell me the game isn't for me just because I'm missing those things, which will probably be implemented at a later time. Player housing alone would fix much of my discontent. I don't think I'm necessarily speaking only for myself. There are a lot of people with the same feelings, who want more.

That said, hoarding gets old after a while, if that's one of the only things to do, especially when you don't have the bank/bag space. I do like the puzzles that I occasionally find and have to solve.
    Edited by Rastaban on April 15, 2014 12:16AM
  • Hakoke
    Hakoke
    ✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »
    spawn10459 wrote: »
    Leveling is really really really slow in this game. been on for 2days game time and im not even level 20 and i explored and did every quest in the first 2 zones and found every skyshard.

I have been on my new character since launch day and I am only level 9 and I think I am leveling too quickly...

I've been playing since the first day of early access and I'm lvl 28 almost 29, and it feels like I lvl way to fast. I out lvl my gear before it even starts to deteriorate.

Given, I can only really play for a few hours or so most days.
  • Rachel_Clements01
    Rachel_Clements01
    Soul Shriven
    When I play, I'm highly distractable. I pick flowers, mine ores, read books (I don't just click on them, I read them - and it's only killed me twice), kill rabbits and rats (it looked at me funny), run away from big nasty things, fall off cliffs and discover things - and quest when it's interesting. If the quest isn't interesting, drop it. You'll find another - talking to all the NPCs will reveal new map bits and possibly unmarked quests. Levelling almost happens by accident :)
  • Athise
    Athise
    Okay , i think i'll need some mushrooms too.. because everyone is seeing so much more in this game than i do.
    Picking flowers , gathering ore... great questlines, caverns that are explorable without the quest unlocking the doors.
    *** of xp from opening treasure chest (200-300xp isn't much).

Ow and it gets better at level +20 ? no it doesn't it's the same slow combat , lackluster spells , majority of boring and tedious quests.

@OP stop playing because it's not getting better. If you don't enjoy the quests it's pointless to even go further. only other option is to grind mobs to level at a decent rate , but once you get to the V-ranks you can quest in the other faction-hubs.

Well you can always ask if the other players have some mushroom for you... looks like they work very good.
  • Anastasia
    Anastasia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    If you get no exp from quests, you overleveled them. But I'm almost sure there are no quests you can overlevel at 8, so you're getting at least some exp. It isn't very fast. You wouldn't want to jump half a level after every quest, would you?

My advice: stop following quest markers. Drop all you're doing, pick a direction and start walking. There are points of interest and public dungeons that no one will direct you to, there are random encounters on the road, caves with not much more than a skyshard or a special crafting station. You'll find quests too, sure, but you won't feel that you're there just to finish them - rather that they're a side objective you happened to pick up while exploring.
    -

Fully agree with Rosveen and others in this thread. This game provides excellent paths for exploring and just mix it up with questing when you feel like it. That way you aren't focusing on just questing and left with a feeling of 'not getting enough exp-itis!"

One thing I wanted to add is when I am in the midst of doing a quest...unless I want to go 'fast' for the sake of immersion of that particular storyline, when an npc tells me to hurry -- lol usually I'm going to head off looking at the all the nooks and crannys myself. I see lots of players come into a mine or an underground questing objective area and just run around as absolutely fast as they can. I find that odd, as I turn a corner or look behind an overhang and find a chest to pick, or a new book to read and get an update to my weapon skill or something! In the outside areas, I absolutely love it also when I'm going along a path or near the road and some random npc comes over to me asking for help. I have seriously never, since early public Beta or in the pre-launch week up to now have had to 'look' for any quests. I have an abundant list going often!

In fact for me, between getting sidetracked harvesting nodes (*and I'm ONLY doing two crafts lol!) and exploring all areas of a zones map... I find it takes me a good while to finish all the quests in a given area. Add in using a shrine to go back to town once or twice during a play period to sell and work on my bank space! I know that is not exp specifically, but it is a mix of variety for each of my play periods. Now maybe its because I am up for different things as I go along, but that variety means I don't feel the questing is tedious as I am not exclusively questing for big exp so I can level; I do not like to 'outlevel' the area I'm questing in anyhow.

There are lots of games on the market for which that is the target market. Some players go through those games skipping 75% of the quest storylines/text. I know also for some players even though they may be interested in the storyline, some individuals have difficulty for various reasons in reading a wall o'text, whether it literally be challenges with reading comprehension or maybe they just feel like they read slow so they don't want to take the time ;o). Thats why the amount of voice acting in ESO is fabulous.

I encourage you to take time to feel you have 'mastered' an area as far as completeness. You'll end up with better gear/enhancements, more exp and more interesting experiences. My routine when arriving in the next zone is to get comfortable with the town/village/city, explore just on the outskirts, picking up quests along the way but not immediately doing those. I look for skyshards and harvest some, sprinkling in questing along the way. I loot some gear, craft a little, socialize with friends etc.

Of course if you do feel time-pressured to level in order to get up to a friends level to play with them, then google to your heart's content as there are soooo many fan forums for ESO to give tips on the most efficient way to level, questing helps etc.

Enjoy your week Oldman B!

• warhelix
    warhelix
    Soul Shriven
    I use beer. A lot of it!! :D
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    7) If none of the above work for you then go back to WoW

You started off so well and then automatically invalidate yourself with this last one.