Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

not so QUICKSLOTS

mark.markandb16_ESO
Is there a way to quickly swap the quickslot item during a fight? I'm talking about for example having a stamina potion equipped then suddenly needing to use a health potion. By holding Q and rotating the dial to the health potion, then pressing Q to activate, usually ends in death. Is there any way to activate with a single button push say the item held in quickslot 4?

Thanks in advance for any replies
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Once you reach level 15 yes. Then you can switch between two quickbar load outs and two weapons. If you want just load 2 of the same type of weapon and then vary the skills in the quickbar. With that you can with the tap of the ` key you can switch quickbar powers.
  • Judge_Mental_One
    The potion quick slots the OP is talking about have nothing to do with weapon swaps, and as far as I know there is no quick way to swap between potion types.

I too have thought that this is one of the things that could be done better than it is in game currently. As a rdps in a boss fight I might have the luxury of switching to a stamina or magika pot if i needed one then switching back to health but its a fiddly system and in a hectic PvP fight forget it.

There is little point to carring stam or magika pots atm imho because its so fiddly to change to them and then change back if/when you need a health pot. The console versions will HAVE to use this system because of their lack of buttons, however for the PC version we're currently playing it should be changed so we have a couple of potion slots we can use easily.
  • Rhylanna
    Rhylanna
    ✭✭
    I agree. I have found no point in a wheel for quick slots because the first item is the only one that is easily accessible in a fight. (although the wheel is perfect when selecting bait while fishing)
    Fatewalkers NA server, primarily Daggerfall Covenant, 30+ (mature, working folks with kids, dogs, etc!), casual, PVE oriented, small but growing!
    Antique Ordinatus Populus NA server, technically with Aldmeri Dominion but have members in all alliances, 40+ (even ++++!), mature, casual (fun people who sometimes forget what they're doing...or maybe that's just me :p ) antique-ordinatus-populus.enjin.com
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alyrn_Grey wrote: »
    Once you reach level 15 yes. Then you can switch between two quickbar load outs and two weapons. If you want just load 2 of the same type of weapon and then vary the skills in the quickbar. With that you can with the tap of the ` key you can switch quickbar powers.
    This isn't what the OP is enquiring about.

This and repair costs are the two biggest problems with functioning currently in Tamriel. Yes, there are other issues but I believe these will/need to be tweaked/changed in future. Quicklots are fine and the dial is fine but they should be able to be keybound after you choose what's in the dial.

• KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another sad example of what happens when you constrain UI design by focusing on consoles, list-based inventories is another.
    Edited by KerinKor on April 9, 2014 10:19AM
  • mark.markandb16_ESO
    Quicklots are fine and the dial is fine but they should be able to be keybound after you choose what's in the dial.

Exactly what is needed. I just can't believe this isn't programmed in.

Edited by mark.markandb16_ESO on April 9, 2014 12:30PM
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree the quick slots are very useless, didn't even like them in Skyrim...

Another hotbar for this stuff made sense quick bar isn't even quick.. plus i keep wasting potions pressing Q by mistake..
  • siuolly
    siuolly
    ✭✭✭
    Agree... quickslots are VERY SLOW to access ironically. I wish they put key mappings on it like SHIFT-1, SHIFT-2 ...etc.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A guildie suggested this and it seems to work well.. hit and hold Q to open quickslots menu, rotate to the one you want and hit the F key to select what you want to move to. Relatively reliable and seems to be easier.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because I'm seeing this word show up too often, you don't need to "rotate" through your quickslots. Remember which direction your favorite go-to potions are in, and just move the mouse towards them while holding Q. It's never taken me more than a second to pick a new item from that menu.
    ----
    Murray?
  • mark.markandb16_ESO
    Just because I'm seeing this word show up too often, you don't need to "rotate" through your quickslots. Remember which direction your favorite go-to potions are in, and just move the mouse towards them while holding Q. It's never taken me more than a second to pick a new item from that menu.

Yes...but my point is , trying to do this in mid combat is just not possible/practical. If you don't have a healing potion selected and you decide you need to use one....you are dead by the time you have switched to it.

The individual slots need to be mappable.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We did a poll on this in beta over having key binds to each quickslot location. Except for those who didn't understand the poll it was nearly unanimous.

Add this to /feedback in game. And you may want to start a thread in the add on section. One of our awesome modders may be able to do something about this.
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is certainly possible with practice.

Also, if you are dead by the less than a second it takes to use one - drink it earlier.
  • mark.markandb16_ESO
    Armitas wrote: »
    We did a poll on this in beta over having key binds to each quickslot location. Except for those who didn't understand the poll it was nearly unanimous.

Add this to /feedback in game. And you may want to start a thread in the add on section. One of our awesome modders may be able to do something about this.

That was another reason for the thread was to try and see if anyone had already written a mod/addon to address this issue.

I will definitely /feedback in game now I know for sure that there is no existing work-around.
  • YourNameHere
    YourNameHere
    ✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    It is certainly possible with practice.

Also, if you are dead by the less than a second it takes to use one - drink it earlier.

This isn't a factor. Love how people say things like this like they never read a word. Having a keybind for it would work quicker, and hey, if you are lagging, doesn't matter how awesome and fast you are moving that mouse. You'll more than likely still end up dead.

The problem is, it is a 'quickslot' in the sense that you don't have to go get it from your inventory.

I wish I could give some advice or help. I do agree to /feedback it though. And see if someone might be able to make an add-on for it.
    NA Megaserver / RPer
    Alinyssa Gaethar - AD || Raahni-do - AD || Wind-In-Tree's-Shadow - DC
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't a factor. Love how people say things like this like they never read a word. Having a keybind for it would work quicker, and hey, if you are lagging, doesn't matter how awesome and fast you are moving that mouse. You'll more than likely still end up dead.

The problem is, it is a 'quickslot' in the sense that you don't have to go get it from your inventory.

I wish I could give some advice or help. I do agree to /feedback it though. And see if someone might be able to make an add-on for it.

If the complaint is that it isn't quick, it is certainly a factor. You can do it quickly. Would a keybind be quicker? Sure. But that doesn't mean it can't be done quickly with the current system.

For mechanics like this, people tend to go "oh that's dumb" and not use it out indignation. When in fact, if they just tried to use it regularly they would be perfectly effective.
  • TipToe
    TipToe
    Soul Shriven
    it can be somewhat painfull todo while holding agro as a tank
    norm ends with me losing agro while I change potion type
    if im lucky nobody dies
  • achimb16_ESO3
    achimb16_ESO3
    ✭✭
    I'd also prefer to have the potions on keybindings.
    But then again this won't be a problem for long: ask your local alchemist, he can provide you with potions that restore health, magicka and stamina all at once (one skill point in alchemy needed for that, so you could make them yourself if you like to craft).
  • discord235
    I have died SEVERAL times from having to switch back and forth between potions during a fight. The second or 2 I would have saved by simply pressing a button instead would have made all the difference instead of having to press Q and then click on the potion I need. LAME!!
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another example of why designing for a console controller is a Bad Thing for games that aren't FPSes and have some depth to them.

And before the comments about consoles, read that again .. I'm not saying consoles or console players are a Bad Thing, I'm saying designing the game purely from that POV doesn't make it a great way to play on a PC, even Square Enix learned that from FFXIV V1 and even THAT had a macro system to help the lack of buttons to press.
    Edited by KerinKor on April 22, 2014 6:26AM
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way to quickly swap the quickslot item during a fight?

The GreymindQuickSlotBar addon is the answer to your prayers. It puts an 8-slot mini-hotbar on the screen (for reference) and you can assign hotkeys to each one.

I use F1 to F8 but you can set whatever you like. Let's say I currently have healing potions on F1 and my stamina potions on F4... If I need to swap to a Stamina potion I tap F4 and then press Q to use it. Once done, I would tap F1 to swap back to my healing potions. It's a fantastic addon.

The Q Wheel really is pretty crappy because it's for people who use controllers. They're fine in a single-player game where the action is paused while you choose what you want to use, at your leisure. Not so much in a game where that action continues around you!
    Edited by Coggage on April 22, 2014 11:10AM
  • gimarwb17_ESO
    gimarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I think the dial Quickslot is a completely stupid idea and pretty useless. If you are in a fight you cannot decide oh, I need mana or oh, I need health, you are stuck to chose whatever you have appointed.

Also you have to constantly check that you still have enough bottles in your quickslot. Nothing is really visible to the player unless you go into your skills menu and see your key slots and the quickslot, or otherwise whilst you are in a fight.

That whole idea of not seeing your key slots except during the fight is silly. You have to basically memorize where what is. Maybe ok if you only play one class/char.
    But if you have more, like 8, you have to every time try to memorize it all again.

Same with the silly idea of not being able to change weapons AT LEAST at level 10. Especially for a Rogue. You have the bow or the daggers. You do not have the opportunity to use bow for far and when the enemy approaches switch to blades.
    Edited by gimarwb17_ESO on April 22, 2014 8:56AM
  • Aballister
    Aballister
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree, only ever use it for health pot in PVE and seige weapon in PVP
    Dark Elf Sorc(AD)
  • Rhylanna
    Rhylanna
    ✭✭
    Coggage wrote: »
    The GreymindQuickSlotBar addon is the answer to your prayers. It puts an 8-slot mini-hotbar on the screen (for reference) and you can assign hotkeys to each one. I use F1 to F8 but you can set whatever you like. If I need to swap t a Stamina potion potions I tap the appropriate hothey and then press Q to use it. Once done, I would tap F1 to swap back to my healing potions. It's a fantastic addon.

This sounds great! Just loaded it and will give it a try after work. Thanks for suggesting it!

Rhy :)
    Fatewalkers NA server, primarily Daggerfall Covenant, 30+ (mature, working folks with kids, dogs, etc!), casual, PVE oriented, small but growing!
    Antique Ordinatus Populus NA server, technically with Aldmeri Dominion but have members in all alliances, 40+ (even ++++!), mature, casual (fun people who sometimes forget what they're doing...or maybe that's just me :p ) antique-ordinatus-populus.enjin.com
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    Saiden wrote: »

Long live hindsight.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to previously mentioned addon. Personally I use Easy Quick Slots found from ESOUI site. Which just adds key mappings for quick slots to your settings, no extra visual stuff on screen for those who do not need it.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]