Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Overcharged Stats = Improper Stat Management?

Medic_Droid
Greetings!

I have created a Breton Templar focused on Healing. I am currently level 18 and I've been doing what I've done in other MMO's in the past. Stacking anything that improves my total Magicka pool, Magicka regeneration rate, and reduces the cost of spells.

Looking at my Character sheet, I see some pretty orange numbers next to both of the aforementioned stats with an attached note informing me that they're overcharged. Being the unfortunate new guy that I am, I immediately thought that it was a good thing. >_> Shoot me.

Shortly thereafter I discovered that I was suffering from diminishing returns. So now I have a question for the veteran players who have come before me:

Should I undo these overcharged stats and re-distribute them to another place, or can I get away with leaving them as they are?
"Doubt thou that the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move.
Doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt my love." -Hamlet Act 2 Scene 2
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't hut you. what it does mean is you probably don't want to focus on boosting those specific stats with food and armor much more unless its a logical progression you find somewhere. It won't hurt you, but you won't gain that much benefit from boosting it more.

That is basically all it means. Might consider diversifying your stat boosting gear a bit at this point. Maybe trade a ring or necklace for one that gives protection of some kind. ::shrug::
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if your using all Light Armor and stuff..... your rings and necklaces could probably be better used reducing magicka cost on abilities or improving health. As a healer your going to get hit in a dungeon. Don't know if you have done the 1st dungeon but as the healer I died quite a few times had to knock mobs off me and heal its quite a challenge luckly I was wearing all heavy armor and my check piece boosts health.

An overcharged stat isn't bad but the problem come when you hit the hard cap which CAN happen. Sounds like your placing all your points into Magicka so 2 heavy pieces of armor(chest & legs I think) stated for health would go a long way to balancing you better.
  • delphwind_ESO
    delphwind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Do not respec your stat points. You need as many points into Magicka as you can. This has the added effect of increasing your healing and spell damage amounts.

At level 30 I crafted my own set of gear, upgraded it to blue quality with the traits that increase the enchants, then put Health and Stamina enchants on all of the pieces. The full suit of light armor allowed me to cap Magicka and Magicka Regen, and the Health enchants allowed me to cap my health. The skill Restoring Aura also caps out my stamina and health regen.

So in combat, at level 30 I have capped Health, Health Regen, Magicka, Magicka Regen, and Stamina Regen. My current stat distribution is 24 into Magicka, and 5 into Health.

Obviously when I say "capped" i am referring to the soft cap when diminishing returns begin (the orange text).

So to recap: Put as many points as you can into Magicka, wear Light Armor (for the passives), and enchant that armor with Health until capped, then stamina.
  • Zakua
    Zakua
    ✭✭✭
    I use full sets of hvy armor and my armor stat on my character sheet is always orange.

Doesn't seem to be much I can do about it. I use Magica/stamina enchants on all the gear and have a reduction in magica necklace with two stamina rings, still Orange on armor.

Ima Dunmer, DK ardent Flame (Fire EVERYTHING heh). I use one handed/shield.

Any suggestions?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buff food help a lot in balancing you too, see how much you need to get health and magica capped, as other says it helps to select the enchants who help you most,
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Xezzu
    Xezzu
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, it really depends on how important Magicka is to you and whatever build you are shooting for. I think there area couple different ways to look at this:

One, like you said, there are diminishing returns. The more Magicka you attain after the softcap (when it becomes Overcharged), the less effective it becomes. If that's okay with you, and you still want to increase your Magicka pool knowing that, then it's a valid option, though 'Player B' may disagree, based off of what their character design may be.

Two, you could forgo more Magicka and re-allocate so you can increase your Health (or Stamina if it suited you). If you felt this as a pro that would out-weigh the Overcharged Magicka, it would most certainly increase your survivability. After all, what use is a healer if it's dead?

Either way, it's really up to you. You know how you want to build your character. Personally, I too suggest taking a bit of health if you can afford it. Not because you are overcharged, but because this game doesn't play like some of the more traditional ones. The healer is going to get aggro and they may have it for a while before anyone can get it off of them. Having some good survivability can always help. How much is up to you though.
    We must all aspire to better ourselves, to better our person and to better our quality; but no matter how much better we become, no single one of us will ever be better than all of us combined.