Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hey, RPer. Yeah, you. C'mere!

Eorea
Eorea
✭✭✭
Hello, I'm @Eorea and if you roleplay, you should add me to your friend list.

The silence of the /say channel has me sad, and having nobody to /emote it to makes me even sadder. There's no way of knowing which one of you silent avatars is open to me saying hello. I love me some roleplay. That's why I bought the game in the first place. Questing is fun, crafting is... tedious but alright... I guess. However, a world is not a world unless there are people actually speaking to each other in public. I am an immersion player and I want nothing more than to RP with all YOU folks, pretty much any time and all times I am online. I just have to somehow find you. This is how I have chosen to try.

Yes, I could RP in a guild and I am a part of one to do so, but it's not guild RP that makes a world come alive. It's all that stupid chatter in the streets. I am flexible for nearly all types of RP, though admittedly I prefer paragraphs and tend to get wordy myself. Patience is the only requirement I ask of anyone who answers my neverending quest for public RP. Hell, I'll even teach those of you who want to learn! We'll have a grand ol time! The only thing stopping you is the login times and random bootings from unknown errors!
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I totally concur with you.

I feel no end of frustration sometimes when not being able to tell at a glance if someone is open to RP or not. Of course there are a lot of different types of RP styles, and just because someone's flagged themselves as an RPer doesn't infer compatibility. But at least it's something.
    At the moment the only way around this I can see for myself is to RP by/with myself and the environment my character's in. E.g. /emote a little here and there, or talk to NPCs. It's the best was to broadcast I know of at this stage. I've even tried asking in /zone, when I'm looking for cooks/enchanters etcetera to trade with, that I'd prefer if they're RPers, but no luck yet.
    For such a great game and series it really saddens me too so far the lack of visual RP around. Hopefully with time though things will change as the game matures.

Goodluck finding like-minded people! Perhaps our character will bump into each other upon the road.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I shall do so.

Part of this is in fault to the lack of chat bubbles. When someone does speak in say. no one ever notices. Because people are playing, and when you're playing you arent noticing the chat box unless you have to constantly look at it.

Its one of the many barriers this game has placed in Rp, theres an ongoing thread in discussion and a petition to get Zenimax to add this in so it can eventually rectify this problem for RP and general communication as a whole.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/61316/floating-text-chat-bubble-addon#latest

The second issue being the lack of player matching, (which they should have went through with that survey they mentioned initially, having people choose who they want to be matched with in the world)
    Edited by reagen_lionel on April 9, 2014 9:39AM
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe at some point there will be a better addon for flagging. Until then, if I see a player not sprinting everywhere I assume they are open for RP.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too, shall add you to my friends list. Open world RP is a good thing.

The lack of chat bubbles has NOTHING to do with this. Chat bubbles are an unnecessary screen cluttering device, nothing more. I have RP'd just fine for over a decade without them, and you can too.

Rake, I also walk when I'm open to RP. However, I'm ALWAYS open to stop what I'm doing and RP...so yes. I agree with their needing to be some kind of RP add on in the same manner as this one:
    http://www.curse.com/tsw-mods/tsw/tswrp

I'd add you too, Rake...but I don't think you would want me to. We seem to disagree on many things here in the forums.

Edit: I don't think paragraphs are going to be possible. Zenimax added a character restriction length to posts in a recent patch to combat gold spammers.
    Edited by MercyKilling on April 9, 2014 9:18PM
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Eorea
    Eorea
    ✭✭✭
    Hooray! I'm glad to see that I've had some takers! I, too, will usually drop what I'm doing to RP if requested. I don't currently have any guild responsibilities or anything, but I do tend to alt hop in the very late evenings in the name of crafting and limited bank space. I'm sure you know how it is. Smack me around if I miss your PMs during this time. I have an active character on each faction, though mostly play Ebonheart as my main. Forgive me if I ask you who you are when I first PM you. I try to make notes, but it's bugging out on me about 85% of the time and not saving the notes.

Keep it coming! I'm happy to see even this many people open to networking! I'm sure there's plenty more!

Now if only the game would load me in. Having some terrible latency lately. D:
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello there! Feel free to say hello to Morna Gawadunen or Panthera Stygian. Daggerfall Covenant! And if you've figured out how to become a vampire, please feel free to share the secret with me in game! LOL
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• wildbill63b16_ESO
    wildbill63b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    An RP chat tab.....bubbles suck, who wants a screen full of bubbles in every town...or worse during a fight?
  • micaela_leon
    Agreed! Looking the same as you
    Edited by micaela_leon on April 20, 2014 7:33AM
  • DurFea
    DurFea
    Soul Shriven
    Be it well known hereafter--
    My Argonian speech may be slow in the common tongue, but I too seek companions to aid me on my travels. As I stroll the bustling pathways of Davon's Watch it is with a keen eye for those not so in a hurry to return afield. Just this eve I stopped to listen to a Khajiiti female strum her lute to the enjoyment of several onlookers as riders hurried in and out of the south-eastern gate. Often you may find me there. If you seek to indenture yourself to an experienced woodsman and adventurer, than look for the one called, DurFea.
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    Maybe at some point there will be a better addon for flagging. Until then, if I see a player not sprinting everywhere I assume they are open for RP.

When in towns and cities buying/selling or crafting I walk around with my characters. Not had anyone stop to chat either, I play on the EU server.

Just wished there was a way to filter out the non role players to be honest. What happened to that survey we was meant to fill in ?

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd add you too, Rake...but I don't think you would want me to. We seem to disagree on many things here in the forums.

OOC disagreement doesn't prohibit roleplaying or being OOC acquaintances. Plus, I do not recall to what you are referring. Feel free to add me.

And to @Eorea, feel free to add me as well. Though be aware that while I have characters in each alliance, I only RP in DC.
    Edited by Vikova on April 13, 2014 7:23PM
  • CrimsonThomas
    CrimsonThomas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please, feel free to add me! I love RP'ing and writing. Add me @CrimsonThomas‌
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Delte wrote: »
    RakeWorm wrote: »

When in towns and cities buying/selling or crafting I walk around with my characters. Not had anyone stop to chat either, I play on the EU server.

Just wished there was a way to filter out the non role players to be honest. What happened to that survey we was meant to fill in ?

I've been constantly asking and wondering about that survey as well.
  • Perkin
    Perkin
    Hey! :) My character's name isn't exactly built for RP. I chose my screen name 'Hallows' as I kind of doubted to find RP on here and wasn't really thinking that I might give it a go on ESO, but now that I know that it could and does exist I'm getting more and more interested, just hoping my name doesn't hold me back. I play a Redguard Nightblade in the Daggerfall Covenant. If I could find a way of weaving my screen name into RP that'd be cool, a nickname as such.

Playing a Redguard I would totally love to see RP going on in Sentinel in the Alik'r Desert and Stros M'kai.

If you want to chat I play on EU. Username is @perkin. Send me a whisper if you want to chat or something.
  • hayaitoran2011b14_ESO
    I'm not so much worried about chat bubbles...Turned those things off years ago in WoW, and never missed them. And I have done some random RP while playing--as have my Guildies. Several have even had walk up RP. I think what we REALLY need is some sort of 'MyRoleplay' style addon.

In also know that my guild of RPers are mostly trying to get to where we have some neat RP gear, and enough levels to be able to go to some of the neat RP spots we've discovered. But yeah, since there seems to be some RP networking going on, @jeakimsteed. Mostly I'll be on my Khajiit, but I've got a Dunmer and an Argonian around here somewhere.
  • ethedead
    ethedead
    The silence has convinced my characters there is some kind of curse floating around the world, the can hear bards, merchants, the occasional towns person, and the beasties, but most are a taciturn and grim as Dunmer.
  • Eorea
    Eorea
    ✭✭✭
    I've added all I can add so far, but some of you either didn't leave your @ username or the system is still going silly with whatever problems came up with the social part of the game this past weekend. I remember with Perkin in particular that it gave me an "account not found". I've attempted to add everyone who is in this thread to my friends list in-game by the name they gave or their forum name, so if I'm not on your pending list when you sign on, something went wrong. Try sending to me?

Keep it going! If Zenimax isn't going to give us our own shard, we'll have to make our own network. We've done it before, we can do it again. I can make a guild if I have to, though I hope to avoid doing that sort of thing since guilds shouldn't be necessary for RP. *sigh*
  • Samuruzi
    Samuruzi
    ✭✭
    I want to get into Role-Playing. Feel free to add me, I will look for you on the streets of Windhelm and the hills of Cyrodill. You can find a friend in me. I play a gruff Nord blacksmith. Do you guys do back-stories for all your characters? I'm thinking of writing one.
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    The lack of chat bubbles is definitely part of the problem. Chat bubbles help the avatars come alive, gives them a separate voice, instead of being disjointed and confined to a box on the side. Couple that with the fact that there are no nameplates, which (as nice as it is to see a clutter-free screen without a hundred names) makes it hard to see who's talking in a tavern full of people. Regardless, there should be an option to turn chat bubbles on and off for those who want them, and those who don't. People shouldn't be forced to RP one way or the other. The whole "I don't want them, therefore nobody should have them" argument doesn't hold water.

That being said, this is a fantastic idea until hopefully, an RP-friendly addon comes along! It's a great way for RPers to find each other. Also I could definitely be doing a better job at roleplaying on the /say channel...having a few like-minded RPers in my contacts should definitely help! There's also teso-rp.com that's a great no. 1 stop for any ESO roleplayer, just in case anyone needs it.
  • Tidelurker
    Tidelurker
    Soul Shriven
    The lack of chat bubbles is definitely part of the problem. Chat bubbles help the avatars come alive, gives them a separate voice, instead of being disjointed and confined to a box on the side. Couple that with the fact that there are no nameplates, which (as nice as it is to see a clutter-free screen without a hundred names) makes it hard to see who's talking in a tavern full of people.

I can see where you're coming from: being engaged both in the text and the virtual space is important, and of course opposing a feature because some don't like it is silly (though it seems certain posters are reluctant to admit this).

That said, I think emotes (looping ones especially) can go a long way towards identifying certain characters and drawing our eyes away from the chat box. For the feature of chat bubbles, I would personally feel no gain or loss if it was added, but it's my understanding that Zenimax left it out because of how it clashes with the philosophy of the game's UI... not simply because some would dislike it.

EDIT: Thanks for linking teso-rp! It is certainly helpful, and there are quite a few cases from what I've seen where forum-goers are unaware of this tool.
    Edited by Tidelurker on April 14, 2014 7:08PM
    Disclaimer: I'm still learning just about everything for this game, at a leisurely pace... but I'll try to help with what knowledge I have!
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tidelurker wrote: »
    EDIT: Thanks for linking teso-rp! It is certainly helpful, and there are quite a few cases from what I've seen where forum-goers are unaware of this tool.

Absolutely, my pleasure! The Roleplay Classifieds are also great, there's anything from demands for evil/villainous characters, to bitter alliance rivals to werewolf/vampire lovers, haha.

Ahh, I see about the chat bubbles and game's UI philosophy - that's what I heard, about how it doesn't really fit into the Elder Scrolls world. :( That's a real bummer...I hope they at least consider a sort of compromise by having bubbles as an optional feature, so it doesn't ruin the current UI/experience for anyone, but helps those who are used to/prefer roleplaying with speech bubbles enjoy the game as well.

• Perkin
    Perkin
    Eorea wrote: »
    I've added all I can add so far, but some of you either didn't leave your @ username or the system is still going silly with whatever problems came up with the social part of the game this past weekend. I remember with Perkin in particular that it gave me an "account not found".*

Same problem with me trying to add you, I imagine you're on US. I doubt we can chat across megaservers but anyone feel free to add me. @Perkin
  • Eorea
    Eorea
    ✭✭✭
    That would be why, Perkin. I'm on US. oops!

As for teso-rp, I haven't been able to get anyone to speak to me there, much less RP with me. :/
  • Arcaeix
    Arcaeix
    Soul Shriven
    Eorea wrote: »
    Hello, I'm @Eorea and if you roleplay, you should add me to your friend list.

Hi there! I'm @The.Vigilant and when the NA server comes back up, I'll certainly add you. If anyone else wants another RPer to their list, feel free to add me as well. I tend to stay around the Ebonheart Pact as I have yet to make a character on another faction.

See you all in game! :smiley:

"Blood for the Pact!"