Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

question for those knowing the game inside and out

dbart42
dbart42
I am feeling a bit frustrated playing this game. I know that a MMO is much different than traditional 1P RPG games. I played the heck out of Oblivion and Skyrim and was always "good" at the game, if you can really measure that. I am having a bit of trouble playing ESO. Currently, Im a level 7, Imperial, Templar. mostly using one handed and a shield. my skill points are put towards just the first few attacks (sorry I dont know the exact name, but that part is irrelevant as I do not think not using those is my problem). My one handed axe (if that is correct) does 22 damage. When fighting i use that, the magical attacks, as well as blocking. Most of the time I cannot defeat any pair of enemies unless theyre at a much smaller level than me. I always need to wait until other show up so we can defeat the enemies together. should I be able to manage defeating other enemies at my same level? is my best weapon too weak? I see other run up and destroy enemies in a few blows, which would take me little time to defeat. Am i playing areas Im not high enough of a level to beat? I probably sound new to gaming, but that is not the case. What should I do to get my weapons and armor stronger? or should I just stick to areas where im 2-3 levels higher than the normal enemies. Any help would be appreciated!

• Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    dbart42 wrote: »
    my skill points are put towards just the first few attacks (sorry I dont know the exact name, but that part is irrelevant as I do not think not using those is my problem).
    Okay, let's see the link in ESOHEAD?
    My one handed axe (if that is correct) does 22 damage
    Which is level appropriate...
    I see other run up and destroy enemies in a few blows, which would take me little time to defeat.
    Other classes will tear through things. Are you in Aedric Spear? That's the key leveling Templar line.
    Am i playing areas Im not high enough of a level to beat?
    Are the enemies your level? You're fine. You're sword and board - how often are mobs being stunned? Are you using a power attack while they're stunned?

• kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are countless threads about what you are describing, have you had a look at some of those with the suggestions by other players?

Basically, it come down to a few things:

1. Block (no really, block)
    2. Your kit, make sure you have the best of everything for Amour and Weapons. You'll see plenty of people selling good gear all the time, that is if you don't pick it up from loot drops yourself.
    3. Put most of your points into Health early on, while Magicka and Stamina are great, having more points devoted to Health will help you the most staying alive in a battle.
    4. Work on your skill trees, this times time and effort. Study what skill points you want to advance for the greater returns, and don't forget your passives.
    5. Make sure you are doing quests that are 'within line' of your own level. No point trying to take on enemies which outclass you. It makes for a hard game that way.

I'm an NB with bow, so I'm one of those you'll see using snipe skills with my bow tearing a massive chunk out of an enemy with my first hit, it's what NB's do best. But every class and race has it's strong points. DK's for instance can 'go the distance' in a battle due to their skill sets.

The last thing is, group up. Nothing wrong with taking a two man army to tackle the bad guys.

Goodluck, I hope some of that helps.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Phranq
    Phranq
    ✭✭✭
    I am playing a Dragon knight with sword and shield and I also have some difficulty taking on two or more bad guys.. the key is that you must block power attacks and dodge or interupt ae and spells.. as a templar you have a heal spell available which will help out a lot..
    It is doable to take on multiple enemies your own level but it is hard and takes practice.. I don't even attempt 3 at once unless I have my ultimate available. Hope this helps you
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    DK here in the DP line, not AF. Sword and board. Taking three is not that bad if you use talons. Sword and board works with a little more CC. If I went AF, I'd use a destroy fire staff or a 2H.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a click on target and they die kind of game.

I think there are some people that are used to that type of gaming, shoot = kill and are finding the strategy in building characters and skills, having the right gear and battles tactics a little daunting. To me, it's been long over due.

Don't get me wrong, I played Skyrim to death too. Having a double enchanted Legendary Daedric Bow ( I named one of my bows I built "Kill-in-one-shot-destructo-bow" just because it was exactly that ) that was always fun to use, as you would pull and then when the dust settles your enemy is on the ground letting out blood.

Loved it, but it did get a little old pretty quick. I haven't touched Skyrim since ESO and to be honest I can't see myself going back to it any time soon either. It's just to easy at level 105 with weapons like that, and by comparison, the two games couldn't be any more different.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Mishoniko
    Mishoniko
    ✭✭✭
    I choose skills with the following in mind:

1. Control effects are huge. Root, snare, slow, stun, knockback -- these are your tools for keeping the baddies out of your face. Keep an eye out for these in the skill lines, pick them up, use them, and morph them when available.
    2. Area of Effect attacks get more valuable as the content difficulty increases and the game start sending packs of mobs at you. Pick up at least one early and morph it.
    3. 1+2 = unavoidable death fields. Great for boss type enemies that summon additional attackers (adds). Drop your stun field, drop your AoE field, plink away at the boss while the adds die by themselves, collect loot.
    4. Don't overlook Ultimates which can give you control & AoE fields of ridiculous power.

At low level skill points are extremely valuable. Find and loot all the Skyshards you can get to. Avoid spending skill points on crafting for a bit. At level 7 you should have done the starter island (the quest that sends you to another zone from the city you start in) and that will get you 3-6 skyshards (1-2 skill points) plus whatever skill points quests give you there. If you haven't done that quest sequence, go do that now.

Melee based Templar fits into the Paladin paradigm and there's plenty of skills to back up that playstyle in the Aedric Spear and Dawn's Wrath skill lines. Look through the class forums and Google around a bit and see what other people are doing, too. You can always refund skill points later (the respec shrines are in your level 20ish zone/city) if your build isn't working out.

Good luck!