Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Skyshard // Mini Dungeons (Torch icon on the map) - CONFUSED!

Allumis
Allumis
✭✭✭
Can someone please explain this to me? Every one of these dungeons I go in theirs masses and masses of people camping the boss spawn at the end and killing it over and over again?

Why? I experimented for about an hour on two dungeons in Deshann the boss never gave me exp, skills exp or any loot at all. So why are so many people camping these mini bosses?
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are they camping or is it just a steady stream of people who have a quest?
  • Allumis
    Allumis
    ✭✭✭
    Melian wrote: »
    Are they camping or is it just a steady stream of people who have a quest?

Was the same people in one of the dungeons from when I started experimenting all the way through till I left, even weirder I'm level 22 and some of the people camping the boss were levels 10-12.

• Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Some people camp it. I noticed several in my level range tended to give a nice selection of loot, generally a filled soul crystal, a potion, sometimes and enchantment and a piece of green or blue gear. They are farming it for the soul crystal and gear which they will break down for the mats.
  • Allumis
    Allumis
    ✭✭✭
    Alyrn_Grey wrote: »
    Some people camp it. I noticed several in my level range tended to give a nice selection of loot, generally a filled soul crystal, a potion, sometimes and enchantment and a piece of green or blue gear. They are farming it for the soul crystal and gear which they will break down for the mats.

That was my thought, I can remember in the beta doing the Dwemer ruins in Stonefells and the boss gave great loot so was worth camping. But in the whole hour I experimented at two different dungeons neither mini boss dropped any loot at all.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    It may well be that the devs implemented a loot block of some type where if the boss is killed to often to fast it stops dropping loot. This won't prevent you from finishing the dungeon and getting the dungeon achievement etc, but it will make camping the boss a waste of time.

It is a shame because it also means the casual passerby won't get loot but they will at least collect the achievement.
  • Allumis
    Allumis
    ✭✭✭
    Alyrn_Grey wrote: »
    It may well be that the devs implemented a loot block of some type where if the boss is killed to often to fast it stops dropping loot. This won't prevent you from finishing the dungeon and getting the dungeon achievement etc, but it will make camping the boss a waste of time.

It is a shame because it also means the casual passerby won't get loot but they will at least collect the achievement.

I can only assume this is whats happened? I've got all of the dungeon achievements so far and the skyshards but can't remember a mini boss dropping loot since the betas.

It is a shame if they have done this, but if its in an effort to prevent abuse and protect the servers economy then I guess its justified? Although perhaps having the boss only phase for those who haven't completed the achievement might be a nicer way to allow people a chance at some loot.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    There is a random factor as to who gets loot. I was in a dungeon earlier today and there was the usual camp group and they were telling people they would pay them gold not to touch the boss (they were trying to farm a blue shield). Various things were dropping for some, but not all, of the people killing the boss.

So basically if you want a drop from the boss, you need to stick around and farm it for a while.

Public group content in MMOs seems to always have a way of getting screwed up, honestly, whether in WAR, GW2 or here. Just hard to really design in a way that isn't totally gamed by the playerbase.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    I ran Toothmaul Gully a few days ago. Hit the boss twice while I was there and got loot both times. Could it be that either you or the boss are bugged?
    Edited by Greydog on April 8, 2014 11:13PM
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I get loot from all the mini bosses
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten loot from any that I've managed to do some damage on before they were obliterated by the crowd.