Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Brand new player with some questions.

Liandru
Liandru
Hey guys! I just got the game and decided to make a Wood elf Nightblade since it seems to be the rogue like class of the game.

My first question is, where can I get a bow? The ones the vendors have are way expensive and I dont know how to craft them.... yet. I made a wood elf since they have a good racial boost for bows. I also heard that a bow is more of a secondary weapon skill than a main one, is that true?

My next question is, do daggers use the 1 handed sword skill? Cause I wanted to duel wield daggers as my main weapons and skill.

Next question, when I got out of coldharbor the beginning area, I went to the tavern and joined some guild (i forget what they are called. The Unsomethings..) and they me a higher level quest and i also got a skill tree for them too. Was it a good idea to join them or should I wait to join guilds like that till later. It's pretty confusing to me.

And finally, what is the max level and what is the max amount of skill points I'll get till i cap out for my character?

Thanks for much and sorry for the long post! :-)
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    When you leave Coldharbour you should receive a bag that has a bow and heavy chest armor. You can also craft your own bows by collecting the wood across the environment and going to a woodworking station in town.

Daggers are 1 handed and use the dual wield skill line, you need to equip two daggers in order to level it up.

I believe you are referring to the Undaunted and it is a good thing that you joined them because once you completed the dungeon at lvl 12 you can teleport to the other faction's dungeons through the Undaunted. My advice is to join every guild but be picky when it comes to player guilds because you can only be in 5 player guilds.

The max level is 50, but there are 10 more veteran ranks ontop of it. You can also get over 300 skill points.
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    When you leave Coldharbour you should receive a bag that has a bow and heavy chest armor. You can also craft your own bows by collecting the wood across the environment and going to a woodworking station in town.

Daggers are 1 handed and use the dual wield skill line, you need to equip two daggers in order to level it up.

I believe you are referring to the Undaunted and it is a good thing that you joined them because once you completed the dungeon at lvl 12 you can teleport to the other faction's dungeons through the Undaunted. My advice is to join every guild but be picky when it comes to player guilds because you can only be in 5 player guilds.

The max level is 50, but there are 10 more veteran ranks ontop of it. You can also get over 300 skill points.

Awesome, kudo's to you for being so helpful, glad to see it.
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this may be a repeat depending on who posts before me, but...

1 - you should get a free basic bow once you complete coldharbour - it's in the reward pack that you get - I don't know what happens if you skip the coldharbour sequence.

If you skipped and it didn't give you the reward pack, bows are sold by the woodworker type vendors, IIRC, and of course, if you play long enough, probably, one will drop

a third option, is just to hang out near the crafting stations - it's entirely possible someone would be willing to craft you an easy low-level bow to get you started for free or for a small fee, if you call out asking for such

2 - as far as being a "secondary" weapon, I suppose that's up to you - you get secondary weapon slots at lvl 15, and then having a ranged option really makes sense for a secondary option, but I guess you CAN make it a primary weapon - it'll require a particular playstyle for you, but I suppose it can be done

3 - the weapon skill sets don't *quite* work the way you're describing - 1h and shield is ANY one handed weapon and a shield - so, it could be dagger and shield, axe and shield, mace and shield, etc. Dual wielding is the same thing - it can be 2 daggers, it can be 2 axes, it can be a dagger and an axe, or vice versa - so, daggers use 1h and shield skill and dual wielding skill - so do axes, swords, and maces.

4 - you joined the Undaunted, I expect. Joining guilds is a great idea - currently, there are no limits to how many GAME guilds you can join (like fighter's guild, mages guild, undaunted which is kinda a guild), and each guild you join opens up a new skills line - it's up to you as to whether you want to spend any skill points in the lines ,so joining the guild is basically free skills options - the first quest the undaunted give you is fairly hard, but joining the guild is a good idea, in general.

5 - current max level is 50, although once you hit 50, there's an option to play the other 2 zones, called veteran rank 1 and vet rank 2 - I don't quite know how they work, but there is that option

6 - last I heard, total available skill points in the game are about 300 - that's, presumably, enough points to max out about 2/3rds of the skills any character can have access to, is what I heard last - if anyone tells you differently, you can probably believe them - this is all 2nd hand info and only partly remembered

there - did about the best I could - hope it helps!
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • Liandru
    Liandru
    Thanks so much guys! :) It helped out big time
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    If i were you id go back to the starter islands. Sounds like you diddnt do them. I find they are must especially for a new player. The islands really get you in the mood for the game and dont slam you in the face with a huge town right from the start.

Also for above post. You get the box from the prophet even skipping cold harbour.
  • Liandru
    Liandru
    I've already done coldharbor. I remade the character and got the urn and the stuff out of it so i"m good for now. :)
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    No no the prophet should have mentioned someone fishing you out of the drink or finding you on the shore, and there should be a quest giver outside of which ever place you woke up. You want to take the quest to go do the level 3 - 8 content you are otherwise missing if you don't do it.
  • Liandru
    Liandru
    Yeah I have to finds Sugar Paws or whatever the flea bags's name is and then I get sent to some other island to talk to Raz and there are several quests there, one to look for pirate and another for Ghosts inside a temple or something,. Is that the correct path?