Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why doesn't secondary weapon show on avatar?

Plaxeko
Plaxeko
Soul Shriven
First, let me preface to say that this game is excellent. VERY immersive. I just don't understand why primary AND secondary weapon doesn't show on the avatar? I feel like this has been a persistent problem with the elder scrolls series. In Skyrim we modded that and fixed it, but this we can't change. What is the reasoning behind not letting us show our primary and secondary weapon on our avatar. Strategy wise, if I see what is on a character as secondary, I can make quick decisions to help me in combat, and it doesn't break anything for the other player. He/she sees mine as well. Frankly, I don't get how modern mmo's and RPG's (a lot not all), don't bother with this? It is such a big part of customization. And I know for a fact that memory or bandwidth has nothing to do with it. I want to know. WHY does my weapon pop out of thin air and into my hand? Why can't I have a bow on my back and two swords on the side? I mean what in the hell? I think this is a legit question and I would LOVE to get a dev to explain to me why so many developers miss this? It is key to immersion people!! We stare at our avatars all day.
  • Terminus
    Terminus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you mean have our secondary weapon physically appear on our character when not in use?

I like it!

It seems to me like the first problem would be the fact that players' backs aren't straight when in combat, so it would need to be designed around that element, not looking too clunky.

Maybe we'll actually be able to see this in the future.
  • Plaxeko
    Plaxeko
    Soul Shriven
    That is exactly what I mean. I don't understand why its not there. I am not saying every single weapon in your inventory should show, but at least secondary weapon right? I mean ppl could even be able to turn it off on their screens with a single click of a button ( like hats or cloaks). So if its ugly then you don't have it. Great! I want to see my secondary weapon. I don't even understand the rationale of not having it show really.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably, as many other choices, to limit load and improve performance in big battles
  • Plaxeko
    Plaxeko
    Soul Shriven
    I would be hard pressed to see that as the primary issue...Anyone ever know if a dev was asked such a question?
  • Plaxeko
    Plaxeko
    Soul Shriven
    you could have the weapon just show on the client if that was true. So I can see it for vanity but the server doesn't show that data to others... I don't know, but I would love to get an answer.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't read or answer this section of the forum, but if you use /feedback ingame, you can suggest it or ask about it