Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crafting traits regarding materials

cozzermacb16_ESO
Say I researched the Weighted trait for an Iron Axe. Would I need to research it again for a Steel Axe?
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    Err no. As long as both are 1h (or 2h)
    Edited by dannomite82 on April 7, 2014 7:48PM
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Traits cross material tiers, so no. Good lord if it reset there'd be no point to research until endgame.
  • nimbli
    nimbli
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. It is for the weapon style itself. It is the same in smithing, tailoring, and woodworking. Anyone know if since I researched weighted at 2%, will I only be able to make 2% weighted? (Most of my crafted items so far have been for skillups only).
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    The statistical value has to do with the level of the item you're putting it on, not the level of the item you researched.
    Edited by Shimond on April 7, 2014 7:54PM
  • nimbli
    nimbli
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you!
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    why would it scale higher? 2 percent already scales with your damage linearly. It might get a 1 or 2 boost if you improve the quality of the item (via a honing stone or dwarven oil)
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • nimbli
    nimbli
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why it would scale higher. I simply did not know the answer.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're right, I was thinking of the set items where they have a flat value of 'x damage done when y happens' and such. Those noticeably improve as the item level goes up, and for good reason.
  • cozzermacb16_ESO
    Thanks for the answers :)
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why would it scale higher? 2 percent already scales with your damage linearly. It might get a 1 or 2 boost if you improve the quality of the item (via a honing stone or dwarven oil)

It scales higher with those upgrades. I think whoever made the first remark just wasn't clear enough in what they meant by "item level".
    ----
    Murray?
  • nimbli
    nimbli
    ✭✭✭
    Got it. Base 2, higher with improvement reagents. Thanks again.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Say I researched the Weighted trait for an Iron Axe. Would I need to research it again for a Steel Axe?
    No.

Traits are researched per item, not material or level or motif. Once you have researched the Weighted trait for an axe, you will have access to that trait forever, for any flavor of axe.

Some weapons have more than one type though...there are 1 and 2 handed swords for example.

Edited by SadisticSavior on April 7, 2014 9:15PM