Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crafting

smitty81rc
Okay i want to max out my blacksmith. Does this mean i cant level cooking or Alchemy? Can you only max out one skill set? Sorry new to this. How many skill point can you get?
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    No. It doesn't. You get enough skill points.

You can also reset your skill points for gold if you go to a certain shrine. I had a thought that I'd level up to fifty, while learning all the crafting, then reset and turn that character into my "crafter" by resetting the skill points and getting all the crafting perks.

Haven't tried it yet.
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're doing a variety of things (straight leveling, main quests, skyshards, etc) you'll find you have plenty of skill points to do what you want. Unless you want every single thing - then you're out of luck :P
  • gimmethecreepsb14_ESO
    You can carry 320 skill points I believe, so you'll have plenty to spare. Crafting abilities don't use up too much skill points. You can probably take a few crafts and max em out if you like.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Crafting abilities don't use up too much skill points. You can probably take a few crafts and max em out if you like.

Yeah, I think maxing out the equipment trades (blacksmithing, woodworking and clothing) needs about 24 to max out, and you may not even want all of those. I'm planning on having as many trades on my main as I can sensibly have (whilst also still being useful in a group).
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax stated from the outset that there are enough skill points to be good at all the crafts or to master one or two and still have points for combat abilities.
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azzuria wrote: »
    Zenimax stated from the outset that there are enough skill points to be good at all the crafts or to master one or two and still have points for combat abilities.

Go into the skill calculator. You can max out 2 weapon and 2 class skill lines and also be a master of at least 2 professions (assuming you spend points wisely and don't just throw every point into the tree).
    ----
    Murray?
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    smitty81rc wrote: »
    Okay i want to max out my blacksmith. Does this mean i cant level cooking or Alchemy? Can you only max out one skill set? Sorry new to this. How many skill point can you get?
    You can max out all professions if you want. It comes down to how much time and effort you want to put into them.

The only real limit is materials and research time for traits. Research time is capped...you can only research 1 trait at a time per profession, and the time investment gets progressively more expensive after the first trait. Fortunately, it is "real time" so it continues even if you are not logged on.

All professions can advance in parallel though...you don't have to choose one over another. You do need skill points, but you can get these for free via sky shards or through just exploring. You do not need very many skill points though. Mostly Skill points are for making existing crafting easier

• Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    <snip> Research time is capped...you can only research 1 trait at a time per profession, and the time investment gets progressively more expensive after the first trait. Fortunately, it is "real time" so it continues even if you are not logged on.
    If you want to spend the skill points, and provided you've levelled up your crafting enough to unlock the ability, you can research up to 3 traits at once in each of the 3 equipment crafting professions (blacksmithing, woodworking, and clothier). So for an investment of 9 skill points you could potentially research 9 traits at once, if you had that many available.
    Edited by Sue_D_Nim on April 8, 2014 2:39AM
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath