The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

"Most Useful" Traits (Research)

Woogawoman
Woogawoman
✭✭✭
Any opinions on the "most useful" traits for weapons and armor?

It would make sense to research those first at the shorter time allotments, then save the "less useful" ones for the longer periods (and especially that last one).

Granted, "most/less useful" will vary by play style and situation, but I would like to gather some opinions. :)
Aetherium Oblivion Alliance - 40+ Mature Gamers Guild (NA)
  • robertsian87b14_ESO
    robertsian87b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Good point, and something I've started to try to do as well. In my opinion, the trait values will vary a bit by intended use. Exploration XP, for example, is worthless to an end game player, but may be desirable for an alt. So that said, I will throw out a rough order of what I consider to be the more desirable traits for end(ish) game gear that is likely going to last more than 9 hours of leveling.

Obviously this is all very subjective. I've done absolutely ZERO math on any of this, so it's very possible a min/maxer could prove a more clear cut 'best' for dps or mitigation... But for now I've lumped them into subjective 'high' and 'low' value groups that can be ordered within them based on role (tank/melee dps/heals/etc).

Weapons:

High Value:
    Sharpened (+armor/spell pen), Weighted (+attack speed), Precise (+crit value), Infused (+Enchant effect), Powered (reduce enchant cd), Defending (+armor/resist)

Low Value:
    Training (+experience with weapon line)

Armor:

High Value: Impenetrable (crit resist), Reinforced (armor), Infused (+enchant effect)

Medium Value: Well-fitted (reduce sprint cost), Divines (+mundus stone effect)

Low Value: Sturdy (reduce decay on death), Training (experience with armor line), Exploration (exploration experience)
  • Zeeed
    Zeeed
    ✭✭✭
    Question is Impenetrable pvp or pve ?? Do NPCs or bosses crit at all ??
    Edited by Zeeed on April 8, 2014 12:07PM
  • robertsian87b14_ESO
    robertsian87b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Afraid I don't know the answer to that question... but that's a fair point that crossed my mind, and could impact the value of some of those for pvp vs pve. I guess my assumption was that NPCs could crit... but that was purely based on past mmo experience and nothing else.
  • Opioid
    Opioid
    ✭✭✭
    I also don't know for sure if NPCs can crit, but I'm fairly certain that they can. In fact, I would be fairly surprised if NPCs had 0% crit chance.
  • Tiberius_
    Tiberius_
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing to consider in research order is the rarity of the trait.

For example, like 90% of medium armor that drops is well-fitted, while heavy armor tends to be reinforced, sturdy or impenetrable, and light armor is usually infused or divines.

If you find a piece of heavy armor with the divines trait, you should research it early because others will want you to make such pieces for them. You can either sell pieces with that trait or trade for other pieces with traits you still need to research.
  • Cheatingdeath23
    Cheatingdeath23
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone had luck making things for other people? I am specializing in runes and blacksmithing, so I can make a good set of armor easily (especially the armor set bonuses), but haven't figured out how to find a market for it.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been making standard equipment... the issue is drops. Unless someone is really unlucky, reward gear is good enough at the pre-vet level to get you through without needing a purchased item.
  • robertsian87b14_ESO
    robertsian87b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Sihnfahl wrote: »
    I've been making standard equipment... the issue is drops. Unless someone is really unlucky, reward gear is good enough at the pre-vet level to get you through without needing a purchased item.
    Exactly. This is the case in most MMOs. Any wise MMO vet will (or in my opinion should) take the approach of not purchasing any gear until level cap. The reason is you can generally get gear from quest rewards, drops, chests, whatever that can sustain you while leveling. It's silly to spend 800g on a lvl 25 blue, when you'll find a lvl 28 green that's as good if not better in 6 hours or so.

I've been taking the approach of stockpiling my materials, and just leveling my professions without trying to produce items to sell. Sure, I may be missing out on some profit opportunities (especially in the volatile early game market), but it's less stressful for me, and I can focus on leveling my toon as well as my crafting levels.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been taking the approach of stockpiling my materials, and just leveling my professions without trying to produce items to sell.
    The upgrade mats, since there's really no reason to upgrade anything, or apply a trait. Chewing my way through metal bars like they were candy, though.
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    imo reinforced and infused are best
    Edited by clocksstoppe on April 8, 2014 5:36PM
  • robertsian87b14_ESO
    robertsian87b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    *** question but what is a mundus stone and how does it work
    They're the stones that give you a bonus buff until you activate a different one. The Lady, The Serpent, etc. Most of them are +2%crit rating, +2% Spell Resist, something to that nature. Small but meaningful semi-permanent buffs.
  • Beryl
    Beryl
    ✭✭✭
    My own priority at the moment for armour is Sturdy - I tend to die quite a lot, especially in group dungeons, and I don't like replacing armour too often. For weapons I mostly use Infused. This is for PvE leveling of course. If I find some loot with Training or Exploration traits - I use it as well since I am still far from the cap in any skill line and I do like the XP from exploration.

At the endgame I would probably choose Infused for both armour and weapons. So these my favourite traits I already researched for all items I use :) At any rate I am aiming for the crafted sets, so I have to research multiple traits anyway.
  • Woogawoman
    Woogawoman
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't tried creating anything trade/sales-worthy yet (too low level for that). I have, however, found it useful to buddy up and create low-level items with a trait I've researched and swap for the same with someone who has researched a trait I need. That way, I don't need to keep items in my bank just because they have a trait I might not be researching for some time to come.
    Aetherium Oblivion Alliance - 40+ Mature Gamers Guild (NA)
  • Cheatingdeath23
    Cheatingdeath23
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't tried creating anything trade/sales-worthy yet (too low level for that). I have, however, found it useful to buddy up and create low-level items with a trait I've researched and swap for the same with someone who has researched a trait I need. That way, I don't need to keep items in my bank just because they have a trait I might not be researching for some time to come.

That is brilliant, as I am running around trying to find drops to learn every new trait. I'd also heard that you learn a lot more from someone else's created armor/weapon than your own, but I just sell everything back to the blacksmith to make more money for buying the thing you need to craft with.

If anyone in Daggerfall Covenant wants to be my blacksmithing buddy, let me know. I've got three things unlocked to the point of making armor sets, and several others with one trait researched.
  • Howitczar
    Howitczar
    For medium armor I would say "Well-Fit" is a high priority because of the medium armor passive that gives you a 4% sprint speed increase per piece (28% cap with 2 points). This the passive you can sprint faster than most horses run. Well worth in my opinion.
  • Phranq
    Phranq
    ✭✭✭
    Some good info here.. my question tho is where is a good place to find Armor with traits to research ? I find lots of weapons but very few heavy armor with traits.. i realize Iam only level 11 with level 6 in blacksmithing so I have a long way to go, but I have had had little luck with armor traits besides reinforced.
    Btw I am playing Aldmeri if that matters. And if you have traits look me up, please ;) I would really like to find armor with infused traits.
  • Howitczar
    Howitczar
    @Phranq‌
    Most of the heavy your going to be finding early is going to have either reinforced or impenetrable on it in my experience. I've found the other traits for heavy armor to be kind of a mixed bag over the course of leveling. I wouldn't get too frustrated if you can't find more than 1-2 traits on your gear early in levels.
  • MichaelD
    MichaelD
    Also consider that you need 2+ traits to be able to use the "custom crafting" stations that exist on the world. So researching traits in more that your main profession is also good if you want to make those 3/3 sets.
  • uninclined
    join a crafting guild if you're looking for specific trait items.

i've learned a few from trading traits with fellow crafters, if we both have something the other desires...tho u might run into someone who will try to trade the desired trait for 2 of yours...which is just weird and funky but highly MMO-esque.

currently lvl 13 and i have found varying traits for all forms of blacksmithing desires. can't say there's one i find more over another