Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Open World for PvP?

oomaplestoryoo
Personally, I would love to have an open world so that I can both do quests and kill enemies without going to Cyrodil.

In addition, a dueling mode to practice for PvP would be nice.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    I'm extremely happy that it isn't open world. One zone where it exists if fine.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. This game isn't meant to be about constant PvP, it isn't what it was intended to be and it isn't what the fanbase is about. Open-world PvP only works if you have different servers, and one of the benefits of this game is the megaservers. Cyro is large enough that it provides people with plenty of different PvP experiences.

As far as duels, as long as I had a setting to auto-reject all duel invitations it wouldn't bother me too much. Though I don't see the point in it, personally.
  • oomaplestoryoo
    Well everyone comes to this game with different expectations. Maybe I'm more of competition so I thought it would be nice to enhance PvP experience.
  • Pretext
    Pretext
    ✭✭
    3 way factions. Simply the best.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well everyone comes to this game with different expectations. Maybe I'm more of competition so I thought it would be nice to enhance PvP experience.
    landmass is not designed for it, in wow the leveling zones merged around level 20-30, in eso its not even possible to reach the Daggerfall faction without a boat or teleport.
    And as other say it would require PvP and PvE servers
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alyrn_Grey wrote: »
    I'm extremely happy that it isn't open world. One zone where it exists if fine.
    Totally agree, PVP belongs in its own fenced-off area where non-PVPers aren't affected by some of the griefing PVPers perpetrate even on 'PVE' servers in other games.

• oomaplestoryoo
    LoL i find WoW is funny that you can camp the player to respawn and kill them again. But if it was me i would be frustrating and pissed LOL
  • TheGrimaceOR
    TheGrimaceOR
    ✭✭
    Personally, I would love to have an open world so that I can both do quests and kill enemies without going to Cyrodil.

Umm you can quest and do PvP... there is a boatload of PvE content in Cyrodill
  • maniacal1
    maniacal1
    ✭✭

This. There's TONS of quests, areas, and skyshards just in Cyrodil alone. Plus the area is friggin huge.
  • Usstan
    Usstan
    ✭✭
    PvP outside Cyrodiil, hmm

There is one way that I can see that work and that is the same way it worked in the first MMO I ever played (Asheron's Call) where players could go to an Altar and get tagged as PK (Player Killer).

PK's could attack other PK's but could not attack non-PK's and there was also another Altar where you could get your PK tag removed, but only after I think it was 24 hours of becoming a PK.

How this could work in ESO? Well, put up some altars (f.ex Hircine) for those that want to become "PK's" and hunt others and then altars to the Aedra for those that want to turn away from the violent path that they are on.

Just my 2c :wink:
  • ricku1967
    ricku1967
    no..just no. there will always be "those type of players" that would just love to be high level and go to low level zones and kill low players in an open world PVP.... the system they have now is perfect. why mess with a good thing?
  • Lanatireb17_ESO
    Lanatireb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

What is it with you PVP fanatics that you feel the urge to force your agressive playstyle on others no matter where you go?
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lets face it. The MMO market needs the PvE'rs as they are the majority. This game would die if it was open world PvP. Tht aside, Cyrodil is HUGE so there's plenty of places to quest dailies etc without feeling claustrophobic.
  • Fahstolph
    Fahstolph
    ✭✭
    maniacal1 wrote: »

This. There's TONS of quests, areas, and skyshards just in Cyrodil alone. Plus the area is friggin huge.

Exactly! It's not true open world, you just cant attack ANY one but it's pretty good I think. With 3 factions there are plenty of people to attack. Like you guys are saying It's huge. I wonder if the OP has actually tried to explore Cryodil. It is massive. And pve content mixed in with a huge PvP area. What more could you want. ;)
    One does not simply get EXP in Cyrodiil.
    -Boromir of Gondor3
  • blackcules
    blackcules
    ✭✭
    I would like to see more PvP content as well. Open world PvP is fun, and I would like to see something like that implemented. A Flagged for PVP system could work. All the"carebear" (Yeah I said it) PvE players can go on their merry way and quest without getting farmed. One huge zerg fest in cyrodil is hardly enough for competitive PvP. Battlegrounds, Arena, Ect are also other options.

And enough of this PvE players are the majority ***. Here have a read and do a little research.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/46467-mmo-subscription-data-pve-vs-pvp-debate.html
    Edited by blackcules on April 10, 2014 6:48AM
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI there is PLENTY of ganking to be had in Cyrodil. That's what MOST people want when they ask for "Open World PVP".....
    NO NO NO I DONT WANT THAT

What are you LOOKING FOR in "Open World PVP"?????
    Cyrodil is PVPer's LOOKING for a fight period and every campaign is just about topped off or full of prey so I really cant understand how "Open World PVP" is "better"

Open World PVP to me would be BIGGER landscape with fewer people participating and harder to find battles.

Cyrodil FIXES all this. I really cant understand.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Open world PvP usually winds up just being quest ganking. It's about surprising the enemy when he is engaged in dialogue or fighting the enemy when he is at a disadvantage due to questing or world mobs. In my opinion, based on the reality of what OPvP becomes, there is no value in that. To me it's player vs disadvantaged player.
    Edited by Armitas on April 10, 2014 2:42PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK