Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

salvaging a nightblade dual wield character

Menoh
Menoh
hello dear eso player. i have a level 33 nightblade dual wield character with a bit of bow. the problem that i have is that it's really hard for me to play pve with this character meaning that it is really hard for me to kill mobs beside the solo ones or the duo groups. i struggle even with some of the bosses and as i struggled with one the bosses in the main quest (duches of something) i was getting destroyed by her while i was trying to kill her using the nightblade and dual wield skills and weapons. so i tried to use the bow when i ran out of magicka and i managed to kill her REALLY EASILY especially with scattershot (my archery is at 16 i think). so what i am aksing is can i salvage some of my character and to convert it to bow even though it's so low ? is it too late? or i can still respec so i can be somewhat better against mobs and in dungeons? my only reason to play eso are the quests and the lore which i really enjoy but as i said it is really hard for my poor assasin to do anything like that and i am afraid i'll have to make a new char which i dont really have the patience or time to level again...
  • beriiel
    beriiel
    ✭✭
    Go to the main city I believe you can respec there, at least that's what people are saying in /zone.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can respec at the shrines in the main city, but it sounds like you may want to examine what you already have. I've been tearing it up with dual wield, and I have no problem taking on an elite or a group of 3+ enemies around or above my level.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Holmes
    Holmes
    ✭✭
    Just switch to using bow, and you'll be able to catch up in no time, not to mention it's just easier overall.
    I highly recommend you respec early if you wish to change, because it's 100g for each skill point.
  • Menoh
    Menoh
    i know i can respec but i think i didnt ask clearly enough. is it easier with the bow for mobs/dungeons or do i really have make a new char ? or how should i use my dual wield char more effectively ?
    Edited by Menoh on April 7, 2014 12:39PM
  • beriiel
    beriiel
    ✭✭
    Oh, Oh OK. Still tired :smile:

It depends to be honest.

Are you using a mix of light medium and heavy armor putting points in the passives?
    Are you using healing, stamina and magicka potions in battle?
    Are you enchanting your armor and weapons?
    Are us using a food buff while in battle?
    How many points have you put into health and stamina?
    Are you blocking and dodging while in combat?
    Are you using the siphoning line for healing?

These things make quite a difference in combat. If you are doing all these thing then maybe go to a lower leveled area and practice. Or just level up your bow, start putting points in stamina and magicka depending on what your skills need, and your character will round itself out soon enough.
    But no you don't have to make a new character.
    Menoh wrote: »
    i know i can respec but i think i didnt ask clearly enough. is it easier with the bow for mobs/dungeons or do i really have make a new char ?

Edited by beriiel on April 7, 2014 12:43PM
  • Menoh
    Menoh
    i am using only med armor.
    im using healing pots sometimes i tend to not use them very often though.
    i use found weapons tbh and i am only working on blacksmith and tailoring
    as i said i am not leveling provisioning
    i have 5p in stamina, 5 in magicka and and 22 in hp
    i use bllocking for heavy atacks and special atacks but dodging takes too much stamina.
    i used to use it but i didnt really get enough heal imo to be worth it but that's just my opinion
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a DW character and one that just uses whatever weapon it gets but DW right now, and no I don't have that problem BUT:

- I wear 5/2 heavy/medium
    - I have unlocked the first 2 passives for heavy and medium armor
    - on my NB I use practically only the siphoning tree, I never run out of health
    - I morphed the first (or second can't remember now) DW skill, so now it gives me some health back when it expires
    - block, block,dodge and block

ah and use food, especially drinks that give you regen
    Edited by mutharex on April 7, 2014 12:54PM
  • Menoh
    Menoh
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a nightblade witih dual wield and bow. I actually find I do a lot more damage with dual wield but bow is better for boss fights. Some boss fights I switch during the fight.

If you have twin slashes morphed to heal you on the bleed, and strife from siphoning you get a good chunk healing with the right passives/morphs. I tend to use bow for tough fights when I need to kite and move around. I use it a lot on anchors and in dungeons. I switch to dual wield if I need more healing and you can put twin slashes morphed to heal and strife on. When I am attacking groups I used teleport strike morphed to do damage to 2 other mobs then whirlwind morhped for the larger attack area and can tear through groups of up to 5. I have only put a couple points in to magika and health all the rest in stamina. Whirlwind takes a lot of stamina.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am using only med armor.
    im using healing pots sometimes i tend to not use them very often though.
    i use found weapons tbh and i am only working on blacksmith and tailoring
    as i said i am not leveling provisioning
    i have 5p in stamina, 5 in magicka and and 22 in hp
    i use bllocking for heavy atacks and special atacks but dodging takes too much stamina.
    i used to use it but i didnt really get enough heal imo to be worth it but that's just my opinion

This is your problem. Keep your weapons up to date with crafting (if you are purely using found, they are probably way under your level) and you need more stamina points, and probably even magicka. Abilities are what do most of your damage. And dodging also helps greatly.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I have, and I can usually take out a group of 4 that are 3-4 levels above me decently.

Put only about a quarter of your attribute points into health, and the rest pure stamina. Stamina is what determines your damage with dual wielding and bow use. Every so often, throw a point into magika when you're overcharged on it.

Don't use dagger/dagger, no matter how much you want to. Until your dual weilding level is somewhere around the 40s, you do not gain the bonuses for the different types of weapons (Axe does bleed. dagger gets extra crit, mace deals more damage against armored foes. Sword gets bonus damage against all enemy types.) Use whichever 1-handed weapon does the most damage.

Don't bother with stealth. There is nothing really good to come out of it in PvE that I've seen, and even in PvP it is rather limited (just my opinion)

If you got the gold, buy enchantments for your armor and weapons. I recommend something along the lines of max to health for your jacket and pants, and max to stamina for the rest of your items. The weapons can be any damage add you want.

The rest is just skill based, and you can do whatever you feel comfortable with. I currently use the following:

1. Teleport Strike/Ambush
    2. Assassin's blade/Killer's Blade
    3. Twin Slashes/Blood Craze
    4. Whirlwind/Whirling Blades
    5. Silver Bolts/Silver Shards (Extremely useful when you are fighting larger groups of undead or Daedric, as it keeps knocking them down, buying you more time to attack other targets.

The others are mainly armor and weapon passives that increase damage and resistance, you should be able to pick the ones you want from it.

Again, this is just what I use, and it works fine. Does a great amount of damage, and keeps me alive enough to do what I need to against a great number of enemies.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Actually thinking of building a DW summoning character. Leather armor, dual wielding 1 hands, Daedric summons, heavy stamina focused. I'm just not sure if summoning gains any benefit depending on the amount of magika you have. Anyone know?
  • Menoh
    Menoh
    what would be a good character with large aoes for pve ? because i will probably just make a new character. i have seen some dragonknights just bombrush the winhelm hall of the dead dungeon while i was struggling with my nb
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DW has one or more AoE, DK too. You could try a heavy armored sorcerer but to be honest NB is very viable. Fighter Guild has one or two skills that might be useful
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing better than using a Dragonknight's chain attack on top of a wall to bring enemies up to you while your friend roots him in place. Lots of laughs.
  • Menoh
    Menoh
    also i forgot to mention that i have no friends and i play solo
  • ozmorgudduth
    ozmorgudduth
    ✭✭✭
    I went full healing setup. Heavy x5, light x1 med x1 to level all armors. All skills morphed to funnel health back to me. Siphoning, blood craze, ambush, shadow path, invisibility with 1 negative purge. Ultimate from shadow tree morphed for aoe dmg/healing.
    At lvl 14 I'm facerolling lvl 20 3x packs in Stormhaven. Im having problems when I will missmanage resources because 6 levels higher leaves little room for error, you screw up and you are dead in a moment, but I'm always starting with stealth ambush, this with 30% extra dmg, plus siphon makes forst target almost dead, then blood craze and reacting to what is happening... I have collected all skyshards from starter islands and glenumbra though. I will have more evil dps and utility skills on pther bar once I get 2nd weapon, only 1 skill for bow tp level it, rest will be things like, immovable, entropy, haste, elude, siphoning strikes, will mix it all upto see how it wil come together and what to leave and throw out, will still use DW weapons on both bars I think.
    I think you could have gone too deep into damage skills with little utility/resource manaent.
    I'm going 2x magica 1x hp, nothing into stamina. Food for max magica, itemising for life regen+max hp. Argonian monster in heavy armor with sick hp regen :)
  • morvegil
    morvegil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like *** gear. im a 2h NB with bow...no problems. Half my weapons I cant even use it and they are from quests.
    Lo'ke
    Nord Vampire
    Nightblade
    Shield+BOW

Daggerfall Covenant
    Bandit King
    Bridge Bandits Guild
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what would be a good character with large aoes for pve ? because i will probably just make a new character. i have seen some dragonknights just bombrush the winhelm hall of the dead dungeon while i was struggling with my nb

DK would be my preferred option for AoE. After checking out each class for a while when I started, they also seem to be the most straightforward/don't have to think about your build while leveling.