The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Gods of ESO

rynth
rynth
✭✭✭✭✭
I did a search for this and couldn't find anything. I've been told that ESO is set several thousand years before ES games and am wondering what major gods/goddess there are. I play a nord and haven't been to a lot of the other islands but I would like to know what god/goddess my nord should be praying to.

lol Oh and on a side note that player that wanted to name your person "god" and it got flagged I'm glad, you should know better then to try something like that. :smiley:
When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    As a Nord a good choice would be Talos who once was a man but his deeds were so great that he went to be a god. I'm pretty sure that this happened well before the 2E during which ESO takes place. Also THIS site will help a lot with the lore.

Just to let you know that this is not the place for this discussion. Use 'Players helping players' forum in the future. Cheerio!
    "Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
  • griffn
    griffn
    ✭✭
    Talos? Isn't this set before the Septims became emperor? So he wouldn't have existed.

All of the gods are the same, minus Talos, for the dark elves you have the tribunal, and all the daedric princes go by the same names.
  • Thralgaf
    Thralgaf
    ✭✭✭
    This is well before Talos (Tiber Septim) became emperor and ascended to Godhood.
  • iso_1a_ESO
    iso_1a_ESO
    ✭✭
    The following information can be found here.

"Ysgramor and the Atmorans brought with them the worship of animal gods: the hawk, wolf, snake, moth, owl, whale, bear, fox, and most importantly the dragon.[17] Over time, as Nord beliefs evolved, the traditional Nordic Pantheon of Divines emerged as personifications of natural forces and ideas.[49] Many scholars believe that the Nordic Pantheon is the same as the orthodox pantheon, merely with different names (there are certainly many parallels), and many Nords who have adopted the Divines evidently have this understanding. The isolated Nordic tribe in Solstheim, the Skaal, carry on a tradition very similar to the old tradition of animal worship. The Skaal venerate all of nature, believing that certain parts of their environment, such as the winds, the trees and the sun, were given to them by the All-Maker, a benevolent, unknowable creator deity. Wolves and bears are especially sacred to the small tribe. All aspects of nature must constantly be in harmony, for this is what gives the Skaal their shamanic powers. The Skaal also tell tales of the Adversary, the enemy of mankind, and his lieutenant, the Greedy Man. Tales suggest that the Greedy Man is another incarnation of Lorkhan, this time cast as a demon, and the Adversary is likely the Padomay/Sithis of the north, which gives birth to Lorkhan in elven tales.[citation needed] In this regard, the faith of the Skaal is nearly the opposite of the pantheon of their kin in Skyrim.[52] Although not worshipping them, the Skaal also acknowledge the existence of the Daedric Princes.

Like all modern Tamrielic races (Dunmer excluded), Nordic religion is focused on the Aedra and their old ally, Lorkhan.[53] However, the Nord's Sky Goddess Kyne is notably more assertive and warlike than the nature-loving Kynareth.[49] Although Mara is present in her role as a mother goddess, she is thought of as a mere handmaiden to Kyne, the actual mother of the Nords and the widow to Shor.[1][49] She is also credited with sending her son Morihaus (and perhaps Pelinal) to the aid of the Cyro-Nordic slaves in their uprising against the Ayleids around 1E 242.[53] Shortly after, the Nordic pantheon of gods would be fused with the Aldmeri pantheon by Alessia into the Eight Divines (although this new belief system would be bucked occasionally).[53][23] Interestingly, certain Daedra, notably Hermaeus Mora, are found in the Nordic pantheon.

The former chief of the Nordic pantheon of Skyrim is Shor. He was the king of the gods and a champion of men in their struggles against the Elves,[49] until being treacherously slain by elven devils, and consigned to serve as god of the underworld. But even still he continues to bestow favor on his people by aiding them with immortal champions, sometimes called Shezarrines, including Ysmir, another member of the Nordic pantheon.[9][54] Shor was left out of the Eight Divines, but is still represented in a way acceptable to some Nords as "the spirit behind all human undertaking" in the Cyrodilic pantheon.[53][23] Shor, and Shezarr, are suspected to be the same entity as Lorkhan.[49]

The traditional Nordic pantheon has had a very muddled history with Akatosh, the Dragon God of Time, and misconceptions abound. The totem animals of the Old Ways included the dragon, whom scholars correlate with the worship of Akatosh, but the veneration of dragons understandably dwindled amongst Nords after the Dragon War.[17] The Nords of the First Era thus only came to know Akatosh as Auri-El, the Elven deity, whom they demonized.[53] Nevertheless, Akatosh was reintroduced in Alessia's compromised pantheon. Many scholars over the years, most of whom were foreigners unfamiliar with the nuances of Nordic history, have mistakenly assumed that Alduin was merely the Nordic name for Akatosh.[49][55][56] Due to mistrust of Nordic education and the integrity of their oral traditions, even well-informed scholars dismissed the dichotomy despite the fact that Akatosh's benevolent nature bore no resemblance to Alduin and that Nords who accepted Akatosh as a deity maintained that he was distinct from Alduin."

Credit for the information in this post goes entirely to www.uesp.net
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AWSOME YOU GUYS!!! Thanks very much and thank you iso for the read, like reading this type of stuff almost like reading one of my beloved history books.

and well as this not being the place I was torn between this one and "players helping players". But, decided to put it under "player guides" because well it is a guide to help follow while in game play oh well
    Edited by rynth on April 7, 2014 8:48PM
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."