Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

what are the pitfalls of heavy armor

TraumaHawk
TraumaHawk
✭✭
in most games everything has its pros-and -cons what cons does heavy armor have
  • griffn
    griffn
    ✭✭
    You do less damage than people in medium armor and less spell/ability damage than cloth armor.

The unique class ability of every class use magicka, so they behave like spells.

So pretty much you trade offence for defence, That's what I heard anyway.
  • DFDelta
    DFDelta
    ✭✭
    Heavy armor lacks the regeneration passives of medium (stamina) or light (magicka) armor.
    Heavy armor passives are generally more focused on staying alive, while medium and light armor passives focus on mobility and dealing damage.
    EU Megaserver
    Chany Therall - Templar VR1
    - Tank in PvE, support Mage in PvP
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy armor also costs much more to repair, by virtue of being metal.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • ChuiDuma
    ChuiDuma
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend checking out the skills associated with each type of armor. They all have passives you can put skill points into, and the passive effects are increased based on the number of that type you are wearing. Heavy armor focuses on overall armor, power, blocking and health, medium is sneaking, critical, stamina, dodge abilities and the like, and light is spell resistance, magicka, magicka cost, and spell effects.

* Mara's Tester * >:) * The Psijic Order *
    * Werewolf *
  • TraumaHawk
    TraumaHawk
    ✭✭
    wow I am glad i asked that question thanks. hmm the cost of repairing don't sound too nice. and about the skill points can I respect if I mess up if so how and when
  • ChuiDuma
    ChuiDuma
    ✭✭✭
    You an respec skill points and attributes at the Shrines of Stendarr and (I think) Akatosh in your capital city, which is the big city in the second zone. You just pay a donation at the shrine. So In DC, Wayrest, and EP Mournhold, don't remember ADs. Just look on your map in the city when you get there and the shrines are marked on the map.
    * Mara's Tester * >:) * The Psijic Order *
    * Werewolf *
  • LilBudyWizerub17_ESO
    I don't believe that's true about repair prices. Armor is just expensive to repair. The repair price is usual based on the value of the armor which is between vendor buy and sell. Sell is a multiple of it, buy a fraction of it. If you look at vendors what they buy and sell for has nothing to do with whether it's cloth, leather or metal. That wasn't true in WoW. With quests giving a choice of all useless rewards there take the plate because it vendors for more. Here it doesn't matter. If you have a choice take the ornate.

I think a better question what's the advantages and disadvantages of stacking a single type versus mixing them. You get bigger bonuses stacking, but you can run into diminishing returns. With heavy armor you can see that quickly with armor without getting into enchants and traits. There's a budget based upon quality and level. When you get into the diminishing returns ranges, ever larger increases in a stat for the same benefit, it's just a wasted stat. You would get more benefit from stamina to actually use that shield or magika to heal yourself. That's particularly true solo with heavy armor.

With heavy armor you're stacking health and mitigation. That's of most value against heavier hitters. Mitigation to slow incoming dps and health to take big hits. Generally rather useless solo. Maybe the occasional named mob or stupid mistakes. I really though my horse would make it through. Sorry you all died, but glad I got away. If you're going to kill that mob quickly you're going to need stamina and magika. Stacking heavy armor might not be the best plan. Block and bash would work fine with a sword and board, if only you had some stamina.
    My Guild - Anvil
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor: spell cost reduction, spell damage protection
    Medium armor: stamina bonuses, stealth bonuses
    Heavy armor: incoming healing boost, damage boost, physical protection

The pitfall of each is that it does not have the perks of the other two.