Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Enchanting - Not Sure What I Am Doing Wrong

Publius_Scipio
Publius_Scipio
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I have a question regarding enchanting. I right-click on armor for example, choose enchanting, apply the glyph, and am not sure if it worked or now. The armor stats don't show an enchantment on it nor does it glow or something.

What am I doing wrong? Is it possible that "bound" armors can't be enchanted (but if that is the case why give me the option to apply the glyph)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have the option to apply the glyph, you can. Bear in mind that it will generally replace any existing enchantment on the gear. Also, it will not glow, change color or alter its appearance in any way.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the glyph applied correctly, you should be able to mouse over and see it on the armor stats. An enchanted piece of gear will also have a blue bar, showing how much charge that enchantment has remaining. Now, one thing to watch out for would be that glyphs aren't always as strong as what the glyph itself says when you use it. You may have a glyph that says it adds 18 Magicka, but when applied it only adds 10 to your armor piece.

When you are in the process of applying your glyph, after you right click and select enchant, and then select the glyph you want, but before you apply it, there will be two of your armor you can mouse over at the bottom of that box. One shows armor pre-enchantment, the other shows it post enchantment. So you can see how strong a particular glyph will actually be on the piece you're attempting to enchant.

Weapons can get a bit of a glow, a very tiny bit. I'm not sure if this comes from enchanting or adding traits, however.
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • Rotherhans
    Rotherhans
    ✭✭✭
    Oh it´s from enchanting alright.
    Add fire damage and you get a nice red glow while electricity makes it fizzle etc. B)
    “I'm not going out of my way looking for devils;
    but I wouldn't step out of my path to let one go by.”― Robert E. Howard
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found the weapon glow/fizzle occurs when you first pull them out and stays for a minute or so, then fades out.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rotherhans wrote: »
    Oh it´s from enchanting alright.
    Add fire damage and you get a nice red glow while electricity makes it fizzle etc. B)

For some reason, I thought we were only talking armor. Yes, weapons get cool effects.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lalai wrote: »
    If the glyph applied correctly, you should be able to mouse over and see it on the armor stats. An enchanted piece of gear will also have a blue bar, showing how much charge that enchantment has remaining. Now, one thing to watch out for would be that glyphs aren't always as strong as what the glyph itself says when you use it. You may have a glyph that says it adds 18 Magicka, but when applied it only adds 10 to your armor piece.

When you are in the process of applying your glyph, after you right click and select enchant, and then select the glyph you want, but before you apply it, there will be two of your armor you can mouse over at the bottom of that box. One shows armor pre-enchantment, the other shows it post enchantment. So you can see how strong a particular glyph will actually be on the piece you're attempting to enchant.

Weapons can get a bit of a glow, a very tiny bit. I'm not sure if this comes from enchanting or adding traits, however.
    Thanks for your explanation. My issue seems to be that I apply the glyph and nothing happens. I don't see the enchant in the armor stats pop-up when I put mouse over the item. And I assume if the glyph wouldn't work the option to apply it wouldn't even be available.

So I'm left scratching my head on this. One bit of info I can give is that the armor my character is wearing is "bound". It seems that I am wasting glyphs and nothing happening to armor piece.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on April 6, 2014 10:36PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your explanation. My issue seems to be that I apply the glyph and nothing happens. I don't see the enchant in the armor stats pop-up when I put mouse over the item. And I assume if the glyph wouldn't work the option to apply it wouldn't even be available.

So I'm left scratching my head on this. One bit of info I can give is that the armor my character is wearing is "bound"

Is the glyph disappearing from your inventory?
    ----
    Murray?
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could it be your trying to use the wrong type of glyph on the item(armor,weap,jewelry) and it's failing, but not giving an error message as to why?

Haven't tried enchanting yet, but found a number of places where the game doesn't give you an error message when it should.
    Edited by Seraseth on April 6, 2014 10:38PM
  • Rotherhans
    Rotherhans
    ✭✭✭
    @Publius_Scipio‌ are you sure the level of your armor matches the allowed level of the glyph you´re trying to apply?
    Again "mousovering" is your friend. :)
    “I'm not going out of my way looking for devils;
    but I wouldn't step out of my path to let one go by.”― Robert E. Howard
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraseth wrote: »
    Could it be your trying to use the wrong type of glyph on the item(armor,weap,jewelry) and it's failing, but not giving an error message as to why?

That shouldn't be possible. If an item can be enchanted at all, it will only show glyphs which can be applied to that item.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭

So I'm left scratching my head on this. One bit of info I can give is that the armor my character is wearing is "bound". It seems that I am wasting glyphs and nothing happening to armor piece.

Hmm, it's hard to try and diagnose what's going on without actually seeing it. Would you mind providing some screenshots of the process you're going through with the mouse-overs and whatnot? If you're on the NA server I can send you some gold to make up for what you lose getting the screenshots. The item being bound shouldn't make a difference, and I believe the only stuff you can't re-enchant is special named items. If it's the generic Inferno Staff of Flame, then yes, but if it's Magical Monkey's Flaming Stick of Shame then no. Usually speaking, only quest rewards and boss drops from dungeons (blue+ ones) are named in my experience. Admittedly I'm only level 19 though, so my experience isn't full.
    Edited by Lalai on April 6, 2014 10:47PM
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your help, I figured out foolish me what was wrong. I was trying to put an enchantment on armor that already had an enchantment. I crafted a sword and was able to enchant it. However, I am surprised the system let me apply a glyph on armor that was already enchanted, effectively making me lose gold and a glyph.

On another note, the enchantments in the first zone seem to be all rather weak, I'm assuming in later zones there will be some serious enchantment levels?
  • Fallschirmjager

I am not sure why this is happening. Can someone explain further. I can enchant a weapon with no down grade to stats just fine; i.e. a 54 dam shield on a weapon glyph will be a 54 dam shield on an ax. but a 34 hp glyph on a helm will be 12 hp to the helm. I tried using crafted lvl 20 white gear with a white glyph for 10 to 20 lvl. tried a green item with a green glyph with in lvl and a blue item with blue glyph with in lvl. All the glyphs reduced the stats to the armor. No matter what the combination was there was always a reduction to the points on armor but not shields or weapons. Is this a bug? Whats the point of making a blue glyph with 54 magic points on it if you only get 14 on the item.
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure why this is happening. Can someone explain further. I can enchant a weapon with no down grade to stats just fine; i.e. a 54 dam shield on a weapon glyph will be a 54 dam shield on an ax. but a 34 hp glyph on a helm will be 12 hp to the helm. I tried using crafted lvl 20 white gear with a white glyph for 10 to 20 lvl. tried a green item with a green glyph with in lvl and a blue item with blue glyph with in lvl. All the glyphs reduced the stats to the armor. No matter what the combination was there was always a reduction to the points on armor but not shields or weapons. Is this a bug? Whats the point of making a blue glyph with 54 magic points on it if you only get 14 on the item.

That one I'm not too sure about. I just kinda know it happens, so I always check to see what the glyph will actually give me. Maybe someone else will have an answer for you though. I'm only level 20 myself and haven't played around with that aspect of it too much. I won't even be making blue runes until I get to a higher level.

Edited to add: I did a search online and this is what I found regarding it:

"Something to consider with Armor Glyphs is that they come in two sizes: normal enchants and small enchants. Small enchants don’t give you the full bonus of the glyph that the tooltip promises. In reality it’s only around 70% of the tooltip’s value. All glyphs applied on Shoulders, Waist, Hands and Feet slots will be small enchants. If you apply the same glyph on other armor slots, you’ll get the full benefit of the enchant."

Source: http://tamrieljournal.com/crafting-and-professions/enchanting/
    Edited by Lalai on April 7, 2014 5:34AM
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • Fallschirmjager
    thanks for the reply will test out what i can
  • Adagia
    Adagia
    Soul Shriven
    But this doesn't quite explain what happened to me today. I made a green glyph, for items 5 to 15, that was to add 14 max stamina. I applied it to green medium bracers, level 14, and saw 5 max stamina added. That is 36% of what was promised. I was very disappointed.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    On level 1-10 enchants, if it says it adds 10 health to armor, I only get 10 health on helmet, chest and pants. All the other armor pieces get 4 health. And the 7 magicka enchant is likewise only the full 7 magicka on helmet, chest and pants. The rest are 2 magicka.

Yes, it's disappointing, but I'm hoping it will get better.

But what I really hope the most is that we either A.) stop getting so many rune combinations that result in jewelry enchants in the 1-10 level range or B.) get some freaking jewelry that's enchantable in the 1-10 range!

That's the most discouraging thing of all-- wasting gobs of my time harvesting runes and making enchants, only to find that much better armor ones are selling for 60 g each (10 health and 7 magicka) on any enchant vendor.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adagia wrote: »
    But this doesn't quite explain what happened to me today. I made a green glyph, for items 5 to 15, that was to add 14 max stamina. I applied it to green medium bracers, level 14, and saw 5 max stamina added. That is 36% of what was promised. I was very disappointed.

You will be less disappointed once you play more. Bracers, boots, belts, and shoulders always have smaller enchantment effects, whether from bought glyphs, crafted glyphs, or inherent enchants on dropped items.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your help, I figured out foolish me what was wrong. I was trying to put an enchantment on armor that already had an enchantment. I crafted a sword and was able to enchant it. However, I am surprised the system let me apply a glyph on armor that was already enchanted, effectively making me lose gold and a glyph.

On another note, the enchantments in the first zone seem to be all rather weak, I'm assuming in later zones there will be some serious enchantment levels?

Wait, did it replace the glyph already on there? If so, that seems to be working as intended so people can change their glyph. Or did it just destroy the glyph you tried to apply? If the latter happened, that is a bug and you should report it.
  • siuolly
    siuolly
    ✭✭✭
    I reported a bug that when an armour has an enchant on it (one that you pick up.. not sure if applicable for the one that you put the enchant on it) and you override the enchantment, it does nothing and consumes your glyph.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    siuolly wrote: »
    I reported a bug that when an armour has an enchant on it (one that you pick up.. not sure if applicable for the one that you put the enchant on it) and you override the enchantment, it does nothing and consumes your glyph.

That better be a bug.