Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

blacksmithing materials

eliteman19
So I have a few questions about blacksmithing for some crafters.

1.) As you increase in level and go to more zones will you start to find steel and other metal ores like you do iron in the under lvl 15 zone?

2.) How hard can it be to acquire the improvement materials such as dwarven oil and pitch? If the easiest way is to buy from other players what is a good price range?
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    eliteman19 wrote: »
    1.) As you increase in level and go to more zones will you start to find steel and other metal ores like you do iron in the under lvl 15 zone?
    Well, you'll see high iron for steel and corundum. So, yes.
    2.) How hard can it be to acquire the improvement materials such as dwarven oil and pitch? If the easiest way is to buy from other players what is a good price range?
    Well, it's a CHANCE when you refine ore and deconstruct the appropriate level (green for stones, blue for oil, etc). It would be FASTER to buy, but right now folks would be most likely hoarding the stuff for later.
  • eliteman19
    okay so high iron is just like the regular iron scattered across the world?

and ive found most people who are selling pitch and oils tend to be asking least 500 per unit
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Just in a different zone.

And, yes, no big surprise considering the rarity.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭

Get hirelings.
  • Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    When you break down blue items you can get Dwarven Oil (the blue improvement ingredient). You can improve your chances by putting skill points into it.

Since you can make new armor ever 2 levels, and early on the levels go by so fast, I'd recommend only crafting white items and saving all the other junk in the bank until the levels last longer.

As such, I have several dozen honing stones and a dozen or so dwarven oils to improve stuff later on. All the while questing in straight up white gear, and it hasn't been a problem at all.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    okay so high iron is just like the regular iron scattered across the world?

and ive found most people who are selling pitch and oils tend to be asking least 500 per unit

There's no reason to spend that much. You'll start getting them when you deconstruct more.
  • eliteman19
    Thankyou guys for all the helpful replies I finally made it to level 16 and out of the starter zone and the loot and ores are much better in stormhaven and I hope the loot and npc drop keeps getting better I'm making a pile off of the npc drops but leveling my smithing skill is taking a bit gotta keep grinding though!!
  • sully73
    sully73
    ✭✭
    A tip for leveling Blacksmith is to find a partner and trade the items you make so you can get more EXP for the deconstruct