The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

DK, heavy or medium armor?

Ironsoul
Ironsoul
So I apologize if this question has already been addressed previously. But anyway, im playing a DK in full heavy armor. I just looked into the medium armor skill tree and noticed it had a perks that would actually help my melee dps abilities. So im wondering if I should switch from heavy armor to medium armor to get more benefits to my melee dps. Ive invested a decent amount into heavy armor. Im only level 24 so im not in too deep if I need to switch armor types.
  • jdilly1b14_ESO
    jdilly1b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    im a dk tank and when using heavy armor i end up having to take a part off just to not get overcharged so it seems to me the med would do fine
  • TwoCrazyPeople
    TwoCrazyPeople
    Soul Shriven
    It depends on how you wish to play the game. If you are seeking to be more the inbetween kind of player (DPS / Tank) then you could go for medium armor.

If you want to play full tank, you better go for heavy armor.

It's not about which is better, it's about what you wish to play.
  • Aethiopeia
    Aethiopeia
    Soul Shriven
    If you like the looks of medium, you can just add more health instead of stamina. Those medium armors give a bunch of nice stamina regen. If you go heavy, just add more stamina. Play style dont really affect.
    It depends on how you wish to play the game. If you are seeking to be more the inbetween kind of player (DPS / Tank) then you could go for medium armor.

If you want to play full tank, you better go for heavy armor.

It's not about which is better, it's about what you wish to play.

This might not be exactly true. I tried both heavy armor tanking and medium armor tanking. In fact medium armor does not lose out due to the fact you can keep spamming those stamina defensive skills, which could not be done on heavy.

Its a flexible game bro, play what you like. Cheers
  • ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't ask what armor should you use for some particular class, but for role that you want to fill in your group.

If you are DD(Damage Dealer) then you need to find out which line of abilities deals most damage proportion. These lines can be magika-based (class abilities, destruction staff abilities) or stamina-based (two-handed sword, dual wield, bow, one-handed and shield)

If you think that most damage comes from stamina-based abilities then you should use Medium Armor in order to maximize your damage output.
    If these are magika-based abilities then consider of using Light Armor.

Remember that maximum amount of stamina/magika affects damage done with abilities that use given attribute.

You still can use Heavy Armor as DD (melee-chars will benefit from Juggernaut passive), but IMO you will do less DPS (although I didn't test this)

For example...
    I like toe-to-toe fights so I'm gonna play melee DD. All I want is to do maximum damage to a single target.

I will skip one-handed and shiled line as it definitly a Tanking skill line,
    so I have to chose between Two-handed and Dual Wield.

I prefer Dual Wield as I find Two-handed skill line more specialized for Area of Effect (AoE).

Twin Slashes - powerfull Damage over Time effect (DoT) that I will constantly keep up on my target.
    Whirlwind - if I need some AoE effect
    And Flurry as my main damaging ability.

There is also a bunch of great passives and one of them is Twin Blade and Blunt. It gives 5% chance to crit with dagger so I think there would be great synergy with Nightblade Assassination line skill Hemorrhage.
    I will pick Pressure Points for even more crit chance.

So I'm gonna choose Nightblade as my class.

I will use class abilities like Haste and Mark Target abilities. These gives some constant buff and their effect don't scale from my maximum amount of magika.
    Also I want to use my Assassin's Blade to finish my targets off. I won't use this abitity much as it becomes effective only when my target's HP is below some threshold (if I remember correctly - 25%).

As you see my magika-based abilities effects either situational or don't scale from maximum magika (some constant effect).
    On opposite - I will use my stamina-based abilities constantly so I will benefit greatly from it.

I want to put all attribute points to stamina and I want to use Medium armor because:
    1)I want to have high stamina regeneration (Wind Walker)
    2)I want that fancy haste bonus (Agility)
    3)I'm getting more benefits from crits (Dexterity)

I'm not pretending that this is best possible build, I just wanted to show how I came to conclusion on which type of armor should I use.

Hope it will help.
    @d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • Ironsoul
    Ironsoul
    Thanks for all the input! I did however fail to mention I was going towards a two-handed DPS play style. I think I may be been focused to much on playing the game so much yesterday I sorta forgot a few brain cells! I was so excited to play in heavy armor when I started that I didnt happen to look if it was more beneficial to a DPS play style then other armors. So far I dont have any issues going full heavy armor but Im still keeping my options open if I decide to min/max my DK. Im still learning all the tips and tricks to my class and play style so I definitely appreciate the input from you guys.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, focusing more on the 2H skill tree or the DK skill trees?
  • Ironsoul
    Ironsoul
    Its a bit of both. Im pretty invested into the ardent flame tree as well as the 2H tree. barely any in the other DK skill trees. I can definitely tell I need more stamina. I run out of that much faster than I do magicka.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, AF / 2H. You might do well, then, in a mix of light and medium, actually, heavier on the medium, less on light. If you're not in a 'tanky' role, you don't need the armor of heavy or its passives.
  • Ironsoul
    Ironsoul
    Yeah I noticed medium has mostly passives to help my stamina regen. While heavy only helps my power and the rest of the passives are tank related. Im leveling medium now but its level 12 compared to heavy at 38 lol.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should make a beserker like my Rollo Lodbrok : two-handed DK with light armor! Surprisingly I almost never get touched solo. Its an amazing build.
  • Xfan
    Xfan
    @Ragnar_Lodbrok‌ I was thinking the same ... You should do so much damage like that that will kill mobs in a second or two ... Care to share your build? I was playing 1 heavy, 1 light, 5 medium, but now i'm trying to substitute it with 1 heavy, 1 medium, 5 light. Using the flame abilities most of the time, and they all use magicka ... I wonder about the attributes thou, should i balance between magicka and stamina, and get health from buffs or ...
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xfan wrote: »
    @Ragnar_Lodbrok‌ I was thinking the same ... You should do so much damage like that that will kill mobs in a second or two ... Care to share your build? I was playing 1 heavy, 1 light, 5 medium, but now i'm trying to substitute it with 1 heavy, 1 medium, 5 light. Using the flame abilities most of the time, and they all use magicka ... I wonder about the attributes thou, should i balance between magicka and stamina, and get health from buffs or ...

Now Rollo is only level 10, but I use the shields that come with DK with a couple of 2h skills. When I get light armor up to 22 Ill use that shield as well. I pump up my health most when leveling, for those long fights. But generally between the shields I end 90% of fights untouched it seems.