The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Auction house is a must!

• MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Laura. This forces guilds to be useful and create trade consortiums. It also cuts down on gold-sellers/exploiters using the auction house.

I agree with Laura, too - but I also understand the OP's frustration with people selling all their crap on the Zone channel. And, what's funny is they're selling useless crap. "WTS Mourning Bow, 400 gold." Seriously?
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Jonnymorrow
    Jonnymorrow
    ✭✭✭
    Dumbledalf wrote: »
    No we dont need an auction house. It would ruin the market and makes items/gold worthless. Way too many people on the servers. Epic items for 10 gold and all that shite with the undercutting.

People would literally be running around in full purple gear which costs like 1k to buy a whole set, making this game even easier than it already is.

From what I can see, the way loot is dropping people will all be running around in purple if not yellow gear anyway.
    nlnj_a wrote: »
    I DO NOT WANT ONE!

Thank you for a very well put together concise argument.

People may have a few purples in their sets because they are a little to common at the moment. But people arent all running around in full sets of purples, which they bought off some auction house for less than the items vend for.

A trade channel is how it needs to be fixed, Why there isnt one already is plain stupid.

Also until you get a trade channel just ignore the people that spam the most, it isnt difficult and wont ruin the games economy.

• Zoltariel
    Zoltariel
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy the no auction house feature. I do agree there needs to be a trading chat.
  • dagmundna
    dagmundna
    Soul Shriven
    I think guild stores are a refreshing change from the usual auction houses in other games. Only the interface needs some improvement.
  • Dumbledalf
    Dumbledalf
    ✭✭✭

[/quote]

Also until you get a trade channel just ignore the people that spam the most, it isnt difficult and wont ruin the games economy.

[/quote]

I'm already doing this to the extremely repetitive sellers and also gold spammers.

I wonder how many people I can actually ignore is there a limit?

But I don't like to ignore too many people what if I'm selling something personally and cant here the person who wants to buy it because I have him/her on ignore?

• Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caduryn wrote: »
    No AH pls, 4 Tradeguilds = 2000 Players to trade, well enough.

It's not 2000 though. It's 4 different markets at 499 people, that you can only place your item in 1 market at a time.

I personally don't think 499 people is much of a market.

As for the whole 'social interaction', there is none with walking up to a banker and listing on guild store any more than there would be walking up to an AH and listing.

I'd far prefer a faction AH.
  • JohnD212
    JohnD212
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the original post. An AH is a must for the long term health of the game. These game designers always think in terms of a full, robust community playing. We all know ESO will most likely dissolve into a smaller group on the servers. Making Guilds the only way to sell things is really not going to work long term. Eventually all players in those guilds will either leave or be max level. Where does a new player sell his wares when most people in a guild are at max level. This is a game that is very expensive to play (repairs, items, even a fast mount) and crafting is required in order to really make gold. What this type of game design promotes sadly is gold buying. Someone feels they can't get what they want in legitimate ways so they will buy gold seeing no other option. I hope they have a follow up plan for a few months from now when guilds are half empty and people are just wanting to play the game solo. I don't have time for a guild really. I'm lucky if I can play an hour or two twice a week. Now if they don't want my monthly sub then I will cancel it and take my money elsewhere. If they want it, they best cater a little to my play style and not force me to do things I'm unable to do because of real life. Give us an AH or at least a Trade channel.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    Plug in a vote for an auction house, even if it has to be faction based. This is ridiculous. And little guilds don't stand a chance; what if you just want to play with a few friends and family and not show your login credentials to a couple hundred people you don't know? I sure don't!

Besides, even a large guild is only what, a couple/few hundred people? An auction house lets you sell to tens of thousands, as it should be. Even old geezer free to play MMOs give you the ability to do that with a broker/auction house.

With all the millions Bethesda has, they're being real cheapskates over this issue. Cough up a server to host an auction house on for Pete's sake. If decade-old Everquest 2 and 15 year old EQ1 can do it, so can you.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EQ2 nor EQ1 have ever had an AH to be honest, I suppose the closest to that would be the Broker for EQ2 (but you sold your stuff from your house, well from your 'board') and EQ1 after bout 7-8 years introduced some sort of 'exchange'

But this aside, there is no AH because they don't want an AH. No other reason
  • cromica81_ESO
    cromica81_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The guild stores are such a waste of money that the guilds I am in just spam guild chat.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    The guild stores are such a waste of money that the guilds I am in just spam guild chat.

This is what is stopping me joining a trade guild or two. I'd prefer an auction house myself, but whatever system is used needs to be incentivised to be better than spamming public channels.

• KaosProphet
    Dumbledalf wrote: »

I'm already doing this to the extremely repetitive sellers and also gold spammers.

I wonder how many people I can actually ignore is there a limit?

But I don't like to ignore too many people what if I'm selling something personally and cant here the person who wants to buy it because I have him/her on ignore?

What if I'm trying to do *anything* in the game, and it's made more difficult by any of the personal decisions I've made?

Seriously. Why is combat literally the only thing that's expected to be a challenge, with everything else being reduced to mindless simplicity in the name of 'convenience'?
  • KaosProphet
    Thesiren wrote: »
    Besides, even a large guild is only what, a couple/few hundred people? An auction house lets you sell to tens of thousands, as it should be.

Why is that "as it should be"?
  • Pretext
    Pretext
    ✭✭
    No to the AH.

That is part of the economic strategy for this game. It fosters guild ties and interaction. I am not saying it is perfect, but it would be the same old crippled economy with a AH.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen multiple people praise the 'interaction' of the guild stores and how that would be lost with AH, but I don't see it.

with guildstores: You walk up to an npc, post or buy an item, check your mail

with AH: You walk up to an npc, post or buy an item, check your mail

Where is this supposed interaction?

As for the social part, I've seen countless people say they join a trade guild, then turn the chat line off, no socializing there. People choose to socialize with a smaller group of people with a common interest in the game generally, the other guilds they join, not a massive faceless trader market.
    Edited by Seraseth on April 6, 2014 9:05PM
  • Kinsaven
    Kinsaven
    ✭✭✭
    I like the current system because it causes guilds to work together and people to actually actively trade with each other. It might be a little difficult at first (though personally I haven't had issues so far) but give it a chance to properly set up. It's only been a few days after all.

This game breaks the mold a little in several ways, please lets not be so quick to try and generalize it and make it like every other MMO out there.

A trade channel would be greatly appreciated though!
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kinsaven wrote: »
    I like the current system because it causes guilds to work together and people to actually actively trade with each other.

How?

Stores aren't unlocked by the guild doing something, just number of players. And I've never had to speak to a single person, just the bank npc to buy or sell, just like an AH.
  • Laerian
    Laerian
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe people prefer chat spam; an outdated system from the 90's. Tibia (mmorpg from 1997) used it, guess what? : they implemented an AH in their 2D game around 7 years ago.

The AH doesn't need to be global, to prevent this "bad global effect" there can be local unconnected Auction Houses in every big cities.

The minimum prices of materials and items are set by ZOS (I think this is what some are afraid of lol) so they won't drop below that. The inventory space is limited, there is no free account creation so hoarding is not possible either.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laura wrote: »
    I think no auction house is fine it has REALLY improved relations with other top guild with mine. We have a pretty cool trade consortium going that I haven't seen since EQ. the community is fantastic.

That said I have NO IDEA why there isn't a zone trade channel. that should most definitely be added.

I turn zone chat off anyway because all I see are people arguing about silly things but a trade channel would be a big help
    Yes, first I to turn off zone or rather I use an tab with no zone as zone is very nice in cyrodil.
    Member of one large guild, with a shop who works well, member of two other guild who just use the bank. This work well, I can just take out materials and junk items I want for crafting, food I need, I stuff back loot I don't need and crafted items
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With an action house people would just sell item at average price in shops after crafters with gold stop increasing the price.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think we need an auction house but we definitely need a trade chat channel - either global or a separate one for each guild.
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
  • Dustile
    Dustile
    ✭✭✭
    I love that there is no AH
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very pleased with the lack of auction house. But I fully agree with the notion that a trade channel would be useful. It might help those folks that joined crappy trade guilds.
  • Wintyr
    Wintyr
    Soul Shriven
    its a mega server look at guild wars 2 auction system with trade being across all servers its kinda the same guild wars 2 devs have to impose new ways to controll the ecomemy because eveything is worthless. its cheaper to buy your amour and sell all the matts to make it seperatly unless its a ecto and some other very rare item its almost worthless. i hate it but like it at the same time.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »
    EQ2 nor EQ1 have ever had an AH to be honest, I suppose the closest to that would be the Broker for EQ2 (but you sold your stuff from your house, well from your 'board') and EQ1 after bout 7-8 years introduced some sort of 'exchange'

The broker in EQ2 is the same thing as an auction house. Give me a break. You stand at a broker and insert your stuff into your boxes, right there at the broker NPC. You can buy everything right from that same broker NPC right there, too. And there are lots of brokers in all different zones, to make it even easier.

You only have to put the boxes you sell from into your house once ever, and they're there for life. And you can sell out of one box on every toon without even having a house on anyone.

In Tera and Aion they call them brokers, too, but it's all the same thing. You sell your stuff to everyone on the server and they can sell their stuff to you. End of story.

Edited by Thesiren on April 6, 2014 10:53PM
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auction House is one of the single WORST additions they could make to this game.

Right now, everything is guild-centric. It's a social game. If you want to progress, you affiliate yourself with like-minded individuals. This is in-line with the guild-centric nature of past TES games.

You trade items between guild members, you guild them your business, and they give you theirs.

An auction house? You mean that metagame place where all items are somehow, magically, present at all locations simultaneously, which encourages players to be completely lazy and anti-social? No thank you.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    Auction House is one of the single WORST additions they could make to this game.

Right now, everything is guild-centric. It's a social game. If you want to progress, you affiliate yourself with like-minded individuals. This is in-line with the guild-centric nature of past TES games.

Whilst what you say makes sense, I'm finding the opposite to be true. I was expecting to join a few trading guilds and one main group/social guild. However, after a week now of playing, I have yet to join a guild at all and I'm now completely turned off from joining a trade guild given how it's been implemented.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wintyr wrote: »
    its a mega server look at guild wars 2 auction system with trade being across all servers its kinda the same guild wars 2 devs have to impose new ways to controll the ecomemy because eveything is worthless. its cheaper to buy your amour and sell all the matts to make it seperatly unless its a ecto and some other very rare item its almost worthless. i hate it but like it at the same time.

This
    Thesiren wrote: »
    mutharex wrote: »

The broker in EQ2 is the same thing as an auction house. Give me a break. You stand at a broker and insert your stuff into your boxes, right there at the broker NPC. You can buy everything right from that same broker NPC right there, too. And there are lots of brokers in all different zones, to make it even easier.

You only have to put the boxes you sell from into your house once ever, and they're there for life. And you can sell out of one box on every toon without even having a house on anyone.

In Tera and Aion they call them brokers, too, but it's all the same thing. You sell your stuff to everyone on the server and they can sell their stuff to you. End of story.

Game must have changed a lot, you used to have to sell from home, the broker only helped you see who was selling what. Anyways, here they use a different system. Shame, no?
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thete wrote: »

Whilst what you say makes sense, I'm finding the opposite to be true. I was expecting to join a few trading guilds and one main group/social guild. However, after a week now of playing, I have yet to join a guild at all and I'm now completely turned off from joining a trade guild given how it's been implemented.

So, you are actively avoiding the current trade system and then asking for a different one, all the while annoyed that you can't trade?

Join trade guilds. The larger ones are entirely effective, despite some annoying interface issues with the store.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thete wrote: »

That's your choice not to be social and join guilds though. You must realize that. That's not the game's fault.

I could go out into the desert and offer ice water to hikers. If one of them doesn't take it and dehydrates, is it his fault for not accepting the water, or mine for not chasing him down to force it down his throat?
    [beta_group_85b_9]
This discussion has been closed.