One model skeleton for EVERY race?

xynxyn
xynxyn
Soul Shriven
I noticed TESO uses only one skeleton for any race. Is this going to be changed someday? Because it looks very odd when Argonians have a human looking body. They do not look like saurians. I no not like this fact at all. Dear designers, I am missing the love !!! :-)
  • Aravel
    Aravel
    I totally agree. Hate to bring up WOW, but every race has its own very recognizable skeleton there.... ;B
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonians and khajiit havent had digitigrade legs/feet since Morrowind.

Which is funny because in wow, Draenei, worgen(beast form), and tauren all have digitigrade legs.

Even though dogs dont walk like that.
    Options
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I support having varied skeletons in the future, but honestly Skyrim suffered from this as well (though Skyrim = virtually all Nords ...).
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
    Options
  • Aravel
    Aravel
    Sakiri wrote: »

Sure, but their skulls don't resemble human or elven skulls, and both races generally have long tails.
    Options
  • gurluasb16_ESO
    gurluasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Khajit tail can be boneless, but I don't see the Argonian one boneless, also both should have their own skull. The rest can really be excused.
    Options
  • Marik_Vash
    Marik_Vash
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I've always been a fan of the optional digitigrade skeleton structures for Khajiit. (And Argonians, too, I suppose for those that want them. They were like that in Morrowind, after all, just like Khajiit. Despite the fact that lizards are actually plantigrade, unlike cats.)

As one note, however, there are many different kinds of Khajiit. In fact there are seventeen different breeds that are known to exist. Which type of Khajiit is born in a litter depends on the phases of the two moons on the night of their birth.

It's a little bit odd, and very much steeped in magic and the Khajiiti creation mythology regarding Azurah (Yes, the Daedric Prince Azura). Essentially, however, any breed of Khajiit can give birth to any of the other breeds of Khajiit. It's all dependent on Masser and Secunda. They also all appear roughly the same at birth and aren't distinguished from each other until they mature a bit.

(It's also a fair point, however, that all Khajiit breeds are sentient and just as intelligent as all of the others. This includes the Alfiq, Alfiq-raht, Pahmar, Pahmar-raht, Senche, and Senche-raht even though these six quadrupedal breeds can't speak.)

To my point, however, the lore explanation as to the change in Khajiit from Morrowind to their appearances in Oblivion, Skyrim, and now ESO is that the two are, in fact, different breeds. While the digitigrade Khajiit we saw in Vvardelfell in TES III: Morrowind were of the Suthay-raht breed, Khajiit in Oblivion, Skyrim, and ESO are of the Ohmes-raht breed. These two breeds are identical in every way... except for the skeletal structures of their legs and feet that make the difference between digitigrade and plantigrade.

This explanation, for whatever reason it actually came about, always struck me as a conveniently veiled excuse to use the same skeleton for all of the ten races for the sake of ease, however.

Personally, to date, I have two Khajiit characters. One I would very much like to have a digitigrade stance, with like legs and feet, as I see her as being Suthay-raht -- a quick and agile hunter. The other Khajiit I see as being of the Cathay-raht breed, being a strong and imposing warrior, thus it would be better suited to have a plantigrade structure for the sake of load bearing.

In any case. I would very much support the optional choice during character creation for beast-races to be either plantigrade or digitigrade. In fact, it's something I wanted in Oblivion, Skyrim, and ESO -- and something that I usually install a mod for. I can't think of any aesthetic addition to character creation that I would want more. Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen... But I could be wrong.

Perhaps if enough of us petition for it, yes?
    Edited by Marik_Vash on May 9, 2014 5:41AM
    "I'm building up quite the habit of finding my way into exactly the kind of situations I don't want to be in." ~ Marik Vash
    Options
  • aalexander0110eb17_ESO
    aalexander0110eb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    If it brings digitigrade back into Elder Scrolls, I support it. Hell...Molag Ball has the wire frame for it. The only issues would be molding boots around them.
    Options
  • Marik_Vash
    Marik_Vash
    ✭✭✭
    If it brings digitigrade back into Elder Scrolls, I support it. Hell...Molag Ball has the wire frame for it. The only issues would be molding boots around them.

Khajiit boots are part of the way there, already. Since they have open toes and heels. Granted, that's not the hardest part of the job -- but they don't have to redesign anything -- just re-shape it a bit.
    "I'm building up quite the habit of finding my way into exactly the kind of situations I don't want to be in." ~ Marik Vash
    Options
  • bluesodafizz
    bluesodafizz
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you, why are there not khajiit and argonian skeletons? It's immersion breaking and ridiculous.
    Options
  • Marik_Vash
    Marik_Vash
    ✭✭✭
    Since they are related in subject, I'll go ahead and post this here.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/96159/should-khajiit-and-argonians-be-able-to-choose-their-skeletal-structures-during-character-creation#latest

I made a poll in regards to the Khajiit and Argonian skeletons. I thought the group here might be interested in knowing.
    Options
  • Capjack01
    Capjack01
    youre worried about skeletons? explain why lizards have breasts. MUCH better question
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bosmer cloth shoes dont have soles...

Those would work.
    Options
  • Eridan4mpora
    Eridan4mpora
    Soul Shriven
    Their breasts are vestigial organs, which could imply that Argonians are very distant relatives of man and mer, such as their odd ability to speak and stand on two legs. But the skeleton should be similar to a lizard for obvious reasons.
    Options
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »

They've got different skulls though... and tails.
    Would be nice to see undead Argonians and Khajit that actually have the right bone structure.

Hell, I think in Coldharbor there isactually a skeleton called "Argonian Skeleton" and it's clearly human/mer.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
    Options
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marik_Vash wrote: »
    While the digitigrade Khajiit we saw in Vvardelfell in TES III: Morrowind were of the Suthay-raht breed, Khajiit in Oblivion, Skyrim, and ESO are of the Ohmes-raht breed.
    Not Ohmes-raht. Cathay. Cathay-raht are bigger.

ESO predates Morrowind. And if there are multiple breeds, then why is only one breed really represented Tamriel-wide?

Why aren't there Suthay around Deshaan? Or even Mournhold proper?

Heck, Daggerfall is about 400 years after this... where are Daggerfall's Ohmes? Why do you see only Cathay?
    Edited by Sihnfahl on June 3, 2014 7:35PM
    Options