Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Too stupid to level

Pintobean
Pintobean
✭✭✭
I am level 9 in Ebonhart and have 7 quests either broken or too difficult for me to complete, not you, me. I don't want to here how great you are whipping through the same quests at a lower level, just makes me feel even more foolish. I need an easy mode, which isn't going to happen, so my on to me real question: What is the easiest race/class to level? Please don't say high elf mage. Lie to me if it is.
  • seano509b14a_ESO
    Honestly that first region was a pain for me aswell. the next zone got easier and the one after that has been pretty easy so far. Yeah StoneFalls was a pain the rear end imo.
    -In thy name of Akatosh!-
  • awkwarrd
    awkwarrd
    ✭✭✭
    Pintobean wrote: »
    I am level 9 in Ebonhart and have 7 quests either broken or too difficult for me to complete, not you, me. I don't want to here how great you are whipping through the same quests at a lower level, just makes me feel even more foolish. I need an easy mode, which isn't going to happen, so my on to me real question: What is the easiest race/class to level? Please don't say high elf mage. Lie to me if it is.
    Any chance you could tell us what you currently have race/class and weapons/armor and maybe we can point out some stuff to make it easier.
  • software_goddess
    software_goddess
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem as well. Part of the problem was that I was trying to do quests that were beyond my player level. It is a good idea to go back to the starter towns and islands and make sure you did not miss any of the lower level quest givers. Another option is to quest with a friend. They can watch your back and help you kick butt. If you don’t have any friends playing the game, sometimes there are other gamers in the area who are on the same quest who might be willing to form a temporary group with you.
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anything in heavy armor with lots of points in health is probably the easiest to level.
    However, odds are if you look around a bit in the low level end of the zone (east iirc) you'll find some quests you haven't done.
    Edited by Melian on April 6, 2014 4:38AM
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    Biggest thing seems to be the build you use. Picking the right thing for the early levels when your choices are the most restricted is probably the most important. You say you played a sorc, how were you specced? This probably has more to do with it than anything else.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Did you take the boat back to the starter island and run through from Bleakrock? I'm midway through stonefell and have exactly 1 quest that is glitched on me at the moment. I figure when the next reboot the server that will fix it but until then it appears I have to leave that poor argonian trapped in a soul crystal. Anyway I'm about 2/3rds of the way through stonefell and I just hit level 14.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try to stay ahead of the quest levels. For EP, make sure you go back to the two starter islands first to gain more level and XP there before you return to Stonefalls.

If you are 2+ levels above the level of the quests, they become much easier.
    ;-)
  • Pintobean
    Pintobean
    ✭✭✭
    I did the starter quests, thanks for the tips. Will stop whining. Sorcerer High Elf, destruction staff and wind magic.
  • Belrim
    Belrim
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcerer is a bit tough in the early stages, but will eventually grow quite powerfull with 2 pet companions to kick butt! :)
    Early bird gets the worm, but second mouse gets the cheese.
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    Ok here's the deal with sorc. Your overall idea isn't bad, but you have to pick up more than just the storm calling line. You will want to pick up the unstable companion, and crystal shard from dark magic. Open up with a shard, then your mages fury, and a heavy attack as they run towards you after getting up from the shard. That should have them dead at that point. As you level you can add even more into this rotation with things like the daedric curse for tough mobs with a lot of hp to burn down. I hope this helps a bit, it's one of the things I've noticed is that people that try to stick to one line in the beginning have the most problems.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Assassination/Shadow Nightbalde stabs ass eats sweetrols and takes names in PVE.
    Also find all skyshards. I think the level # is less important then the skill levels and the skill points in this game.
    Edited by PBpsy on April 6, 2014 5:44AM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    I would ask if your gear is all up to date, that makes a massive difference. Also make sure it's the right mix. If you're struggling to find skyshards for the extra skill points, bite the bullet and Google the locations.
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    Thete wrote: »
    I would ask if your gear is all up to date, that makes a massive difference. Also make sure it's the right mix. If you're struggling to find skyshards for the extra skill points, bite the bullet and Google the locations.

I'll make it one easier. This is a very nice map for it.
    http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/database/skyshard-locations-map/
  • Dolenz
    Dolenz
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of the opening zone for the EP. I have had quest gaps where I was under leveled for the quests I had (this was in beta) I find the opening zones for the other alliances to be better paced.
  • clairefunb16_ESO
    I'm a sorcerer too and just reached lvl 12, I think the dark magic shard is my most used thing as they don't even reach me, and having the familiar then clannfear means they're often distracted. Sometimes they don't even attack me at all. I haven't left stone falls yet and am not finding it too tough. Which quests are you stuck on? Maybe we can give you tips - or add me in game @claire fun and I'll let you know how I got through!
  • Taeko
    Taeko
    Ok here's the deal with sorc. Your overall idea isn't bad, but you have to pick up more than just the storm calling line. You will want to pick up the unstable companion, and crystal shard from dark magic. Open up with a shard, then your mages fury, and a heavy attack as they run towards you after getting up from the shard. That should have them dead at that point. As you level you can add even more into this rotation with things like the daedric curse for tough mobs with a lot of hp to burn down. I hope this helps a bit, it's one of the things I've noticed is that people that try to stick to one line in the beginning have the most problems.

Agreed. U will have plenty of skill points-so don't limit yourself to just 1 tree. U also want to level up all 3 skill trees at once. That way u will use u're fighting/questing/exploring time and earned experience efficiently. Start to pick and choose after the 3rd skills in the trees start to become available. At that point u will have enough skills to pick and choose from while having a full ability bar while fighting. If there's a particular ultimate u are gunning for then make sure u have 2 skills from the same tree on u're ability bar at all times. This will make that ultimate available sooner.
    Also don't forget that at level 15 u can have 2 weapons. Before turning in completed quests-switch to an alternate weapon. That way u can level 2 weapons at once.

• beriiel
    beriiel
    ✭✭
    OK. If you're having problems, I made a Wood Elf dual wielding siphoning Nightblade and I'm finding the game to be easy. The siphoning line heals you. I hit with siphon first, then use my dual wielding attacks with a stamina regin food.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    beriiel wrote: »
    OK. If you're having problems, I made a Wood Elf dual wielding siphoning Nightblade and I'm finding the game to be easy. The siphoning line heals you. I hit with siphon first, then use my dual wielding attacks with a stamina regin food.

^^ This right here - and race has nothing to do with it. I've tried this also as Breton, Imperial and Dark Elf. Dual wielding makes you a DPS killer and at lower levels your enemies simply cannot sustain that damage.

If you want to try this, create a new character and run through the Wailing dungeon. Try to get two one-handed weapons and level up a couple of times in dual wielding. When you come to Tamriel - I usually wait to assign my all skill points then - you should have 3-4 skill points. I grab Twin Slashes, Strife, and Assassin's Blade. At this point, I can kill anything I encounter. My next is Agony (Nightblade, Siphoning) as it pins down a second enemy. Flurry (Dual Wielding) comes after that.

With this, I can take out enemies two or three levels above me. Don't forget your food buffs and always add an enchantment to your weapons.

Edited by MaxBat on April 6, 2014 5:09PM
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm daggerfall member. Actually say, I felt same feeling.
    I'm 29 level now. But I can't still complete recommended level quest.
    I think this game difficulty tuning is very wrong...
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    with [1Stam Blade].
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".

2024/08/23
    Farewell Atsuko Tanaka...(-_-) I never forget epic acting for major Motoko Kusanagi.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Further advice: Giving credit where credit is due - to this forum - I got some advice that really enhanced my ability to defend myself: remap your keyboard. My favorite skills are on index finger keys. The defense roll is R. Whenever I see an enemy pull back, I just tap the R - and no damage.

I also have a new gaming mouse on order. But I'm doing pretty well with just a laptop keyboard.
    Edited by MaxBat on April 6, 2014 5:17PM
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While yes, you can do it fine with any character (dodging and blocking are a significant thing to get in the habit of doing), the easier setups are high health + crowd control, or leeching + burst damage. Stunning, DoTs, HoTs, etc., make leveling much easier when you are in zones that make you handle more than one mob at a time.

Also, since you can respec, don't be afraid to purely build for leveling - don't even think about endgame builds until you get there if you are having issues leveling.

Edit: Also, another thing I am seeing people do that makes life hard: craft gear for yourself. If you are only getting gear via quest rewards, you will have massively underleveled gear in several slots at all times. Just going and crafting yourself some whites will make a dramatic difference.
    Edited by Vikova on April 6, 2014 6:54PM
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    Almost all of my sorcerers have two things in common: skill points in at least one restoration staff skill and at least one summoning skill.

I have found that wearing a few choice pieces of heavy armor helps too. Like maybe chest and legs, or chest and shoulders. Once you get more skill points to spend you can "take off the training wheels" and kick butt from Davon's Watch to Daggerfall.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Metella
    Metella
    ✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    Edit: Also, another thing I am seeing people do that makes life hard: craft gear for yourself. If you are only getting gear via quest rewards, you will have massively underleveled gear in several slots at all times. Just going and crafting yourself some whites will make a dramatic difference.

I've found the things I've made aren't quite as good as what I've gotten from quest rewards *but* the quest rewards have only been chest/legs/boots and I've had a couple of drops of gauntlets from enemies, I made my character a belt, then got caught up in questing, but next time I'm on I'll be making a helmet and I think you can make something for the shoulders as well, so that should make a bit of a difference :)
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    Also, another thing I am seeing people do that makes life hard: craft gear for yourself. If you are only getting gear via quest rewards, you will have massively underleveled gear in several slots at all times. Just going and crafting yourself some whites will make a dramatic difference.

To be fair for some, having whites be better than lower level greens is something that most people from other mmo's aren't going to be used to. So that it's important to do may come as a surprise to them.